Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets

Options
  • 25-12-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Will be starting to look for a place in January, really the only stipulations I have is it has to be Pet frIendly and I don't just mean that you are allowed to keep the dog in a run in the yard, decent sized, fully enclosed garden and it can't be too big, simply for cost effectiveness when heating the place.

I have a boxer and a cat, the dog isn't destructive and happily chills in the back garden when I go away but when i am home the dog is in. I know from looking at daft that you can add pets allowed to your criteria but out of all the places in the county I want to rent there is only a handful of places that allow pets.

How do other people with pets manage? The only other thing I can think of is to offer a pet deposit to ease the mind of the landlord in case anything was to happen. I have already been advised to get rid of the dog which will not be happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A lot of places accept dogs without even stating so. We moved in the summer and at first we were looking at pets accepted marked places but soon we learnt that more often than not it's enough to just ask. We saw a lot of places and one of them would not accept pets as they had everything freshly carpeted, another place had nosy neighbours who could report dogs for any sound they make, but other places were happy to talk as long as it's clear that you take responsibility for any damage your pet may do. No one required a pet deposit from us but it may be a good idea to offer one if it can seal the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

We have cats and are renting. Its hard to find a place. Just filter on daft for pets allowed. Cover sofas with outdoor furniture covers if u need.
    Your options are limited unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

iratira wrote: »
    Just filter on daft for pets allowed.

I don't recommend doing that as you'll only be limiting yourself. The place we rented and most other places we liked were not advertised as pet friendly on Daft but owners were OK with pets when asked. It's best to look for a place you like regardless of whether they have this option ticked (unless it specifically says no pets in the body of the ad) and bring it up as a possibility when you book a viewing, so that you won't waste your time if there is a firm no; but you're likely to get a lot of "we can talk".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just be aware that even if the place allows pets you are still going to be liable for any damage that they cause, so bear that in mind. Avoid anywhere that has wooden floors etc and keep a very close eye on what your pets are doing as the damage they may cause won't be long eating through your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

djimi wrote: »
    Just be aware that even if the place allows pets you are still going to be liable for any damage that they cause, so bear that in mind. Avoid anywhere that has wooden floors etc and keep a very close eye on what your pets are doing as the damage they may cause won't be long eating through your deposit.

Why would I avoid a place with a wooden floor? Carpets and pets don't mix in my opinion.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Why would I avoid a place with a wooden floor? Carpets and pets don't mix in my opinion.

Neither do dogs and wooden floors. Carpets can be cleaned but scratch marks are a lot harder to get out of wood...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

djimi wrote: »
    Neither do dogs and wooden floors. Carpets can be cleaned but scratch marks are a lot harder to get out of wood...

Wooden floors are grand for pets if you have a few large rugs down. Better again if they are the tenants own so they don't get stiffed with paying for new ones for the landlord. Stiletto heels, moving furniture do far worse damage to wooden floors. A fully tiled floor is the most durable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

You could buy some cheap lino and loosely place it over the wooden floor, to prevent scratching in the room(s) where the dog is. Not ideal, but ok as a short term solution.

Wooden floors are grand for pets if you have a few large rugs down. Better again if they are the tenants own so they don't get stiffed with paying for new ones for the landlord. Stiletto heels, moving furniture do far worse damage to wooden floors. A fully tiled floor is the most durable option.

Yeah fair point about the rugs. If you can cover a wooden floor then its fair enough. If there is any possibility of the pet causing damage to the wood however then I would steer clear.

Advertisement