Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price to license photo for promotion & digital materials for a movie?

• 25-12-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Good people of Boards,

I received a request through flickr from a movie promotion company in the Philippines to gain license to one of my images.
    4160939364_9fa8cf6d41_z.jpg

The agency; http://www.tbwa-smp.com/home.html

The e mail went like this;

''We'd like to use this image:
    www.flickr.com/photos/an_diabhal_glas/4160939364/sizes/l/
    for the poster & digital materials that we are doing as an initiative for a movie here in the Philippines. The movie is entitled Thy Womb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thy_Womb

We will use the boat in your photo as part of an element in our layout. The duration of the materials is at least 6 months. We would also like to enter the materials in award competitions.

I'd just like to ask for permission if we could use your image and how much would it cost if we would use it for the materials mentioned above. Kindly just let me know if you have questions.

Hope you could get back asap as we would need to produce the materials by next week.

Thank you very much!''

So I really have no clue what to charge and have searched the archives here and cannot find anything really useful in giving an indication on what to charge?

The following thread was of some use

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66663548 especially ORLY's final post in the thread.

Can give some input here?

Happy Christmas, hope you enjoyed the grub as much as me :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's really down to how much value you put on your images. Also, make sure to specify terms such as duration and geographic use of the image. Your price could be anything from tens of euro to hundreds. Totally up to you though.

I doubt anyone here could put a specific number on it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Do you have a model release for the two kids in the picture?
    Do you know what the law is regarding usage of pictures with people in it in the Philippines?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

could you ask for a clause (no pun) in the deal, that you get, let's say €100 per €500,000 the movie nets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

On Flickr you can licence your images through Getty Images. Its on the right hand side of your photo, well, it is on mine.

They will then take care of anything needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mlumley wrote: »
    On Flickr you can licence your images through Getty Images. Its on the right hand side of your photo, well, it is on mine.

Yeah, including a large chunk of the fees for your image. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Paulw wrote: »
    It's really down to how much value you put on your images. Also, make sure to specify terms such as duration and geographic use of the image. Your price could be anything from tens of euro to hundreds. Totally up to you though.

I doubt anyone here could put a specific number on it for you.

Cheers for the input Paul, I'll get some more details from the Agency.
    mdebets wrote: »
    Do you have a model release for the two kids in the picture?
    Do you know what the law is regarding usage of pictures with people in it in the Philippines?

Thats a very good point Mdebets, I will ask the agency this too. Also how does a model release work if there is no facial recognition (the mother diving could be anyone) and the kid could be hard to identify?
    Farmlife wrote: »
    could you ask for a clause (no pun) in the deal, that you get, let's say €100 per €500,000 the movie nets?

Sounds nice Farm but It might end up just complicating things and this production seems far from a blockbuster
    mlumley wrote: »

They would take care of everything alright :) including maybe 90% of the licensing fee. I have avoided Getty's licensing requests up to now.
    I don't know really, making a few quid off of photos is better than making nothing eh.

I have no idea how a contract would work, maybe there are some standard templates that can be copied online for the agency to sign?

Advertisement