Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Energy Saving Product shop

Options
  • 25-12-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anybody any advice ? As I am thinking of setting up an online shop selling energy saving bulbs and energy saving products ,.Should I register for vat straight away as I will be buying from a wholesaler who charges vat to me.Or is there any rush until I get things up and running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

be very careful, prices for light bulbs are changing monthly and are easily imported direct from China.

Even high price Homebase sell gu10 fitting 4 watt led at 12.95 for a pack of 2 and they give off a great light.

You then need to get people to your site - not very easy as there are laods of other sites out there selling the same things especially in the UK who will ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I doubt there is much to be made selling bulbs. I only buy them as and when they burn out. Buying them online wouldn't really be economic as the postage would be high relative to the bulb cost. There's also the delay. If a bulb blows I don't want to wait a few days for a replacement.

Not sure about the VAT issue. It adds alot of paperwork to operating your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I wouldn't register for VAT at the begining. The turnover threshold for products is €75,000 pa. The chances of doing that in the first year are very slim. If I were you I would get a ecommerce site set up (you can get very good ones for €500 including all customization and hosting for a year. Then use Paypal or Skrill/Moneybookers as the payment gateway as you establish yourself. Then you can test the market and if/once you do grow you can look into full merchant accounts.

You would need to get a reliable and cheap distribution but as bulbs are light you should be OK with An Post for small orders. After you are established in Ireland you could try using Fulfillment by Amazon to target the UK. Amazon stock your goods and then dispatch them for UK orders.

Advertisement