Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc build

Options
  • 25-12-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi guys im looking for little help if anyone can chip in.
    I am building a pc for my son for christmas. Firstly im not completely new to this ive done at least 2 before. It was all going after the build i put in win7 and pressed any key. half way through the install the disk said it was unreadable. i ejected it and it was sratched to pieces. i borrowed another disk from a neigbour and started again. now the problem.. the pc was giving me boot manager missing or similar. now after several failed attempts i get nothing. can anyone please help. i feel **** with a 15 year old still waiting for his pc, any help at all is appreciatted, thanks in advance, alan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Did windows successfully install with the second cd?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kalel76

thanks for the reply. no windows failed

detach and reattach the hard drive cables. Sounds like there not connected correctly and try reinstall again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Not quite sure if this is the same problem I encountered. Anyway I reformatted the disk with a linux distribution.

You could also try repairing the disk and then install the o/s

Good luck I hope you get it up and running

tried the cable and a different hd still the samewhen i press bios menu (f12) just goes black screen. do i need to instal a bios or is the mobo already good to go? i assume since it installed halfway first time all was ok until thev interupted install

• Advertisement

im abit concerned that it is not even autorunning a disk though?

is the BIOS set to boot from cd rom

Is it coming up press any key to install windows and is boot from DVD set as default to load from? Also is there more than one hard drive in the computer

BOOTMGR is missing" means that the active partition does not have the required files in order to boot the system. The master boot record is pointing to boot code that doesn't exist.

ive no idea.. it originally booted from the dvd but now it wont. i cant get into the bios. it says f12 for boot menu or del for bios setup. when i press them it only goes to blank screen

@areyawell the boot manager doesnt even show now. it goes to bios and that s as far as it goes . no boot from dvd message and i cant get into bios

• Advertisement

Have you access to the web? If so download Ubuntu, format and install that o/s. Or maybe some of the guys can suggest something else. Ubuntu worked a charm for me

This should wipe the disk of any corrupt / previous installations. Once you get that far, win7 should install

thanks i have ubuntu on disk ill try that. thats a million guys for your time. ill try now

no still no joy. im lost

could you boot from cd?

no its not even showing up as an option

i dont even know if the keyboard is being recognised. should the light be on on my keyboard?

and you cant access the BIOS? have you tried the usual F2/Del/INS/F8/F12.

You can also try holding down several keys on boot, this may force a keyboard error and bring up the BIOS.

Another option would be to remove the cmos battery and reboot?

ok ill try both now thanks

Can you access Bios or boot menu after disconnecting the hard drive?

Did Ubuntu load up for you?
    If you can then you'll need to attach the hard drive to another computer and format it as when the hard drive is connected you won't be able to access the boot manager for cd or usb.
    Also detaching and reattaching the CMOS battery might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

had the above issue before used bootmanager DOS tools on a USB (similiar to using using Linux)

Wiped the Bootmanager made the HD fresh and used a decent Windows disc to install.

Cant recall the name of the one i used but but to USB DOS and wipe the bootmanager using fixmbr /been a while but should work.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=usb+boot+tools&oq=usb+boot+tools&aqs=chrome.0.57j60j59j62l3.2044&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=usb+boot+tools+dos&oq=usb+boot+tools+dos&gs_l=serp.3..0i30j0i8i30l3.11972.12472.0.12630.4.4.0.0.0.0.393.665.2-1j1.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.cyVwJEhO0uA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.ZG4&fp=4b6a46c35aedccd5&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=955

thanks for both sugestions ill try both now

well still no joy. i removed battery. removed hard drive, tried multiple keys. the post beeps. bios options show but after a time the screen blacks out. cant try the bootable usb at moment cos dont have my usb till morn

next thing to try is the RAM, if you have two sticks in it remove one piece of ram and try. Then try with the other stick of ram.
    If two different brands of ram or different sizes of ram can cause issues.

Specs of PC might also help. What PSU are you using?

Only one stick in it4gb. Mono is f2a75m-d3h PSU is ocz zs series 550w and a10 apu no GPU yet. All brand new.

kalel76 wrote: »
    well still no joy. i removed battery. removed hard drive, tried multiple keys. the post beeps. bios options show but after a time the screen blacks out. cant try the bootable usb at moment cos dont have my usb till morn

:mad:

I dont suppose you have an external housing for hard drives?

I have my own desktop but no ext enclosure.

kalel76 wrote: »
    Only one stick in it4gb. Mono is f2a75m-d3h PSU is ocz zs series 550w and a10 apu no GPU yet. All brand new.

Just from googling

Your system is failing the POST - Power On Self Test. This tests the RAM, Video/Graphics Card and Processor before loading the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which then loads the Operating System.

RAM is the usual suspect. Check to see if the RAM stick is properly & securely installed.

If you have an add-on graphics card, check to see it is securely fitted. It can be hard to physically install the card properly because the AGP or PCI Express port is located in the midst of other motherboard components. Also make sure the card's power supply cable is fitted to the card, otherwise, it's as good as no video card being in the system

Also check to see that your processor is properly fitted and that its power supply cord from the power pack is plugged into the motherboard.
    Really sounds like bad ram. i misinterpreted your first post that the boot manager missing was still showing but all your getting is a black screen. You can't access hard drive at all so definitly one of the problems above. Try Ram in a different slot and then double check all other cables.

Thanks for info. I don't have seperate Gpu installed yet. The ram is brand new and perfectly fitted. I havent checked the cpu as it worked first time so I assumed it would be OK?
    Thanks again to all u guys for the help

• Advertisement

Do you have different Ram you could try from another computer? Really just sounds like you got a bad stick of it as the computer was working fine beforehand.

Advertisement