Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Dublin from the UK- Bus or Flight?

Options
  • 25-12-2012 11:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Please does anyone know anything on what would be a cheaper option for me- travelling to Dublin from the Uk, Bus or Flight? My major challenge is that I intend travelling way above the allowed baggage limit. Does any one know whether Coach services charge for extra luggage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It depends on how much time (minutes and hours) you can afford to spend. The Bus will be cheaper moneywise but Ryanair might be cheaper timewise. Google bus cimpanies, there may be more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

If it were me I'd take the sail rail option, its less than 40 stgs and you can take as much as you can carry! I've done it numerous times and it's really pretty painless.

Irish Ferries and Stena both have it I think though I always use the IF option.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/Buy/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

If it were me I'd take the sail rail option, its less than 40 stgs and you can take as much as you can carry! I've done it numerous times and it's really pretty painless.

Irish Ferries and Stena both have it I think though I always use the IF option.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/Buy/

Thanks mate. However 40 stages?! the longest I can afford really is 2 days travel i.e overnight. Would you know whether the service operates from Newcastle in England? I think I have seen something like his online but it mentioned something about departures being from London?

Miaireland wrote: »
    It depends on how much time (minutes and hours) you can afford to spend. The Bus will be cheaper moneywise but Ryanair might be cheaper timewise. Google bus cimpanies, there may be more than one.

Thanks Maireland, this is true. Nat Exp would take about 16 hours while Ryan Air just an hour 30 minutes, the fares are however about the same thing. However as my major concern now is cost and not time (unfortunately I am sought of hard pressed for cash at the moment) i'm really inclined towards the bus option- have you pls got the name of any other bus coy that operates the service? Nat Exp charges 10 pounds per any extra item of luggage (they are also anecdoctally referred to as 'expensive')!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

40 Sterling
    goes to/from Newcastle (zone E)
    total journey to Dublin from Newcastle could take up to 12 hours due to a few train changes being required. Could also be a little as 8 if your times are favourable.

These are the links for going from Dublin
    http://www.irishferries.com/ie/sailrail.asp
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

SirBorbey wrote: »
    Thanks mate. However 40 stages?! the longest I can afford really is 2 days travel i.e overnight. Would you know whether the service operates from Newcastle in England? I think I have seen something like his online but it mentioned something about departures being from London?

i think he meant 40 pounds there otherwise it does take more than 24 hours.
    i went from Dublin to London last month through Irish Ferries and i spent only one night in the ship.(i went in the evening by the way, it's better to sleep in the ship than the bus).

it is so handy because you can carry as much as you like

Thanks Guys! I have actually got a bargain for 38 quids (compared to the total of 86 I would have paid if I was to travel by Bus)! Honestly seems too good to be true. Just to make sure however, before i complete payment: Dublin port is not in some very outskirt part of town that would cost me 50 euros travelling back into Dublin 4 where I 'hope' to get a place? Thanks guys, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

SirBorbey wrote: »
    Thanks Guys! I have actually got a bargain for 38 quids (compared to the total of 86 I would have paid if I was to travel by Bus)! Honestly seems too good to be true. Just to make sure however, before i complete payment: Dublin port is not in some very outskirt part of town that would cost me 50 euros travelling back into Dublin 4 where I 'hope' to get a place? Thanks guys, really.

Dublin Port is tricky but not impossible to get out of. Taxi to D4 (Which is a VERY expensive part of Dublin) would be about €20-25 (At a guess) However you can get a red line Luas to O'Connell St, then a 46a / 145 / 39A straight to UCD. That would cost well under €10.

How much are you carrying? :confused:

Shuttle bus from port to Busaras (almost city centre) info: http://www.irishferries.com/images/pdf/Express_Bus_Service_2013.pdf

ironclaw wrote: »
    Dublin Port is tricky but not impossible to get out of. Taxi to D4 (Which is a VERY expensive part of Dublin) would be about €20-25 (At a guess) However you can get a red line Luas to O'Connell St, then a 46a / 145 / 39A straight to UCD. That would cost well under €10.

How much are you carrying? :confused:

Quite a lot my friend, quite a lot. At present 2 travel luggage, a travel bag and a back pack!
    Thanks for the hint on D4, Could you please recommend more student friendly options where I could seek out accommodation (yes, I'm working on a tight budget)? The other place on my list is Dublin 6w?
    And thanks also for the bus no.s however I do not intend proceeding to UCD but where I intend to get a house (wherever i eventually get one)!

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Shuttle bus from port to Busaras (almost city centre) info: http://www.irishferries.com/images/pdf/Express_Bus_Service_2013.pdf

Ah Its the Boss :-)! Thanks Boss I just hope I'd be able to pull all my luggage in time to catch the bus. And what is meant by stressing 'have the exact fares'? No change on the bus?
    I'd also have to catch a cab to wherever I'm going from the city centre (even though i acknowledge it must be cheaper from the city centre).
    Thank you.

tricky D wrote: »

Hi could you please kindly suggest affordable hostel options around the city centre from where I could access Crumlin Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City?
    I'm hoping when i take the bus you'd suggested (thank you very much for that) to the city centre, i'd just lodge in a hostel, drop my luggage and proceed to do some house searching. what are the taxi fares in dublin like? or how do i please access Crumlin Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City by bus?

Thank you :-)

Thanks a lot to all of you guys. I'm now settled in my house in Dublin. I must say moving down from England/settling in Dublin would have been literally almost impossible (or at least very expensive) if not for the help/advise i received from this forum. Way to go fellas, thank you.

Advertisement