Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations to extend - repeat O2 Hotshot

• 26-12-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Problem - O2 Hotshot limited to 5 devices
    Solution - Add repeater / extender to host new internal network with hotshot as either bridged or extended.

Anyone been there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you getting very good speeds right now?

3G access points arent designed to be used like a hard line. With more users you'll all get slower speeds and you will decimate that 15GB cap most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

ED E wrote: »
    Are you getting very good speeds right now?

3G access points arent designed to be used like a hard line. With more users you'll all get slower speeds and you will decimate that 15GB cap most likely.

The speed is fine, the requirements are simply to remove the five user limit as there are more iPods, iPads and iPhones all requiring connections for emails, casual surfing and AppStore stuff.

The use wouldn't be detrimental to the connection so I'd like to bridge or repeat S necessary. There's a few devices that seem to do this natively and others can be flashed with dd to enable bridging router to router.

5 device limit is just to low for the household.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A wifi repeater MAY work.

Problem is the hotshot is a low power device and its not designed to manage that many devices. As the router it still has to control everything.

If you were desperate an old pc with pfsense and a sim card reader would do, but that'd be a bit more setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Thanks for the reply. Connectify on the pc does the job ok. But we'd rather a router device. Edimax offer a number if solutions that will resolve the issue, but I've no experience with them either. I thought a netgear extender might do it but the manuals for various models suggest not.

If I find a solution I'll post it too as I can't be the only one needing more than 5 devices on the midband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

I got a Zoom 3G Wireless-N Travel Router from Maplin a couple of months back, and it works grand. Think its limited to about 254 devices... has a Ethernet connection, USB (for the 3G device, though it will work with an iPhone tethered) and 802.11N Wifi. Never had more then 4 or 5 devices connected, but should do the job...

• Advertisement
Advertisement