Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you have protected sex with someone with HIV?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

In the US, the community with the highest rate of new infections is the Black female, heterosexual community. HIV/AIDS isn't a disease limited to the gay community, and it certainly isn't something restricted to one social class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

what have intra veneous drug users got to do with sexuality?

The thread has evolved to be more about HIV and how it's contracted than just sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

In the US, the community with the highest rate of new infections is the Black female, heterosexual community. HIV/AIDS isn't a disease limited to the gay community, and it certainly isn't something restricted to one social class.

this isn't the US unfortunately.

I realize that, but the rate of infection is still high for women in heterosexual relationships globally.

The thread has evolved to be more about HIV and how it's contracted than just sex.

agreed i'm heading off now because it seems like gay bashing.
    op asked about sex with someone with hiv.
    I'll leave people to answer that rather than get into what level of risk you would take with someone infected, who is at risk etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mini a straight up question, and I'm taking into consideration that I've met you ~ you're a good looking lad, lovely bloke in fact and hardly desparate for the ol' shift ;)

In sober thought, ie before closing time lol would you have protected sex with someone who is HIV Pos?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes but as I said the Irish research indentifies the hetero community as those at the highest risk.

As I used to do a lot of pre and post test counselling I have a small insight into this area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

But Hetrosexual Black Females make up less than 6% of the total population of the US where as, I'd wager, homosexual males make up a higher percentage of the total demographic make up of the US and I'd also wager there more HIV+ homosexual men in the US than there are HIV+ black hetrosexual women.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yes but as I said the Irish research indentifies the hetero community as those at the highest risk.

As I used to do a lot of pre and post test counselling I have a small insight into this area.

like as i said i'm heading off but hse statistics factually disagree with your point. 42.5% men who have sex with men.http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?page=latest-statistics

• Advertisement

Mini a straight up question, and I'm taking into consideration that I've met you ~ you're a good looking lad, lovely bloke in fact and hardly desparate for the ol' shift ;)

In sober thought, ie before closing time lol would you have protected sex with someone who is HIV Pos?.

Nope, I wouldn't. Not knowingly. To be fair, I've been less than careful in the past with strangers. But am clean. I wouldn't because while I know the risk is small, it's still a risk I don't "need" to take. I can always find someone else to have sex with, it's not worth it in my book.

And regarding relationships and stuff, it's the same answer, I'd happily be friends with someone who is HIV positive, if they are my type of person to be friends with, but I wouldn't have sex with them.

And thanks for the compliments Mak, you're sound yourself :D Gentle giant and all that...until it's time to not be gentle I guess :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not even with yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

areyawell wrote: »
    Nope, nor would I have sex with someone with clamydia, Herpes, Genital warts, crabs etc. Idiotic for getting it in the first place.

You won't be having sex with too many people in life so then. Nearly 80% of American adults carry HSV (Herpes) mainly of the HSV-1 variant (Oral Herpes) which is responsible for coldsores, 1 in 4 women has HSV-2 and 1 in 5 men has HSV-2 which is genital herpes. Many people have the virus without ever getting an outbreak or knowing they even have it.

If you have sex with more than 3 partners then you are practically guaranteed to already be infected with one of the many strains of HPV (Human papillomavirus) which causes Genital Warts (in both Men and Women) and Cervical Cancer in women. If you are a virgin then you can get vaccinated against it with Gardasil which is for both men and women. Condoms are not awfully effective against either Herpes or HPV as these are spread through skin to skin contact, they offer greater protection however. Hepatitis B is also another STD which you can vaccinate yourself against but for all the rest it is either use Condoms or be celibate.

As for the OP's original question, if I was in love with the right woman then yes I possibly might. The rates of men contracting the HIV virus from women are much lower than women catching it from HIV+ men. There is a much higher risk amongst gay men and hetero couples who engage in anal intercourse. There is obviously risk but people need to manage risk and I could see no reason why people in those situations could not live happy fulfilled love lives.

There is many infected individuals who seek out other HIV+ partners and even websites dedicated to dating. eg. http://www.herpes-date.com/

People need to educate themselves on this subject and I must say that the sexual education I received in school was absolutely shocking and if anything only made me curious about the subject and more likely to engage in risky behavior back in the day. With the advent of the Internet I think people have no excuses not to educate themselves on STDs, the risks associated with thus and what they can do to lower the risk to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

'Small insight' is perhaps the most valuable thing you have said. Keep that thought with you as you proceed in your career.

Seaneh wrote: »
    But Hetrosexual Black Females make up less than 6% of the total population of the US where as, I'd wager, homosexual males make up a higher percentage of the total demographic make up of the US and I'd also wager there more HIV+ homosexual men in the US than there are HIV+ black hetrosexual women.

Here's a radio segment on the issue:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114237523

like as i said i'm heading off but hse statistics factually disagree with your point. 42.5% men who have sex with men.http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?page=latest-statistics

That is interesting, the research I would be working form is another Irish agency, but I must check the data I have in the office as I work for the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And thanks for the compliments Mak, you're sound yourself :D Gentle giant and all that...until it's time to not be gentle I guess :pac:

If thats a hit and a proposal for rough unprotected sex you can feck off with yourself :p

Merry Christmas buddy.

'Small insight' is perhaps the most valuable thing you have said. Keep that thought with you as you proceed in your career.

And your point please?

EDIT: Just copped your name. Are you not just being a tad catty, but don't pussy foot around with your answer.

If thats a hit and a proposal for rough unprotected sex you can feck off with yourself :p

Merry Christmas buddy.

Oh jesus, I just re-read....runs away. :pac: You too.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

it appears having sex with a black person in the usa is russian roulette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think you may both be right but misrepresenting statistics, in Ireland MSM are indeed at higher risk than the general population, but not to the degree that social stigma or your earlier assertion of heterosexuality are warranted or sensical, in fact your earlier assertion is plainly homophobic even if unintended. And IUDs are also at high risk, although given their lesser numbers when represented as a % of total infections they come in quite low, and it's irrational to claim all straight people share this level of risk, especially as it assumes only straight people can be IUDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

But that's still ultra low risk. It's not saliva passing it, it's blood. I'd be surprised if anyone ever caught HIV through kissing a cold sore, or in fact if it could happen.

Then again, why would you kiss someone who has a cold sore?

why would you have unprotected sex with someone who has HIV?
    Personally I wouldn't.

why would you have unprotected sex with someone who has HIV?
    Personally I wouldn't.

The thread question is protected. You won't know by looking at most HIV positive people that they are positive.

You can't really miss a cold sore with an open wound when there is light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So, yeah... there are more HIV+ homosexual males in the US than there are HIV+ heterosexual black females..

The thread question is protected. You won't know by looking at most HIV positive people that they are positive.

You can't really miss a cold sore with an open wound when there is light.

would you knowingly have sex with a HIV person? I actually read it in my sleepy state as unprotected, but I'd rather (reluctantly) kiss someone with a cold sore than have protected sex with someone with HIV.

would you knowingly have sex with a HIV person? I actually read it in my sleepy state as unprotected, but I'd rather (reluctantly) kiss someone with a cold sore than have protected sex with someone with HIV.

Literally my 5th time saying it, but no, I wouldn't. I was never arguing that people should, though overall I technically I wouldn't judge anyone who did...as long as it's protected. Even then, I'd be rather skeptical.

Seaneh wrote: »
    So, yeah... there are more HIV+ homosexual males in the US than there are HIV+ heterosexual black females..

I am talking about the rate of new cases within recent years; it was as high as being 2/3rd of new female cases were Black women.

Literally my 5th time saying it, but no, I wouldn't. I was never arguing that people should, though overall I technically I wouldn't judge anyone who did...as long as it's protected. Even then, I'd be rather skeptical.

I literally didn't read the rest of the thread once I saw your comment I quoted, literally. Sincerest apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Basing it on sexuality, you are currently at a higher risk of HIV if you are hetero, rather than being gay of a IVDU.
    99% of what what you've said on this thread is absolutely correct. The above statement however isn't.

MSM (men who have sex with men) are greatest at risk of HIV than heterosexuals or IVDUs.

From the HSPC report on new HIV cases in Ireland in 2011.
    The highest proportion of new HIV diagnoses in 2011 (43%), were among MSM. MSM are
    the population most affected by HIV in Ireland and are the only risk group in which new HIV
    infections have been increasing steadily from 60 in 2005 to 136 in 2011 (an increase of  
    127%).
    http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/HIVSTIs/HIVandAIDS/SurveillanceReports/File,13068,en.pdf

So in Ireland, homosexual men would make up a much smaller percentage of the population, yet account for 43% of all new cases. This would suggest a higher risk of HIV in this group.

Unless of course you were referring to global statistics, which tend not to look at sexuality for obvious reasons, then yes heterosexual sex in sub-Saharan Africa probably carries more risk than homosexual sex in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nope, nor would I have sex with someone with clamydia, Herpes, Genital warts, crabs etc. Idiotic for getting it in the first place.

Yes, people go out and choose to get it.
    Not everyone gets it by being careless. The 'S' in STD doesn't indicate the only method of transmission either.

If they're taking the right drugs you're safe and they'll die of something else rather than develop AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

Think ltr I would

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

what about this sick s..t i read about,the gift,hiv positive infect guys who want to become positive as well on purpose,they put online ads looking for someone willing to do it,not normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

efb wrote: »
    My answer is, casually No, LTR, Yes.
    Same here
    Casually no but in a relationship then yes
    Depends, if I met someone who I grew to like and found out later they were HIV then I reckon I could overlook that.

If it's just a casual thing then it's not worth it.
    Think ltr I would
    Funnily enough I'd be completely the opposite. Could probably overlook it for a casual fling - protected of course - but LTR, no.

I understand the risk is very low, with protection and a partner on medication but I just don't think I (personally) could deal with the additional hassle, precautions and worry in a life-long relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Idiotic? Really?

You do realize there are certain STIs that condom does NOT protect against?

Unless one is to be abstinent, ANYONE could pick up an STI.

There shouldnt be a stigma but there is because of attitudes like yours.

No, because I hate condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

No, because I hate condoms.

You ain't the only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wtf is wrong with some of you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement