Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD SPORTS DISGRACEFUL STORE POLICY.

Options
  • 26-12-2012 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

JD sports are the worst store I have ever came across for exchanging defective goods. I got Adidas runners for my six year old son, paid €50 for them. They were to be his christmas shoes, and the loop for the lace broke within two days. I brought the box the receipt and the shoes back in and they refused to exchange them for a new pair. They have to go for inspection to see if, wait for it.... 'It was my sons fault'!! I was asked 'was he playing football' with them!! The damn cheek!!! All I wanted was an exchange and all I got was a load of bull****. I left the shop with a heartbroken son and a serious temper. I have looked up other reviews on JD sports and I am not the only one who has had a bad experience with them. It's a regular thing in other stores over in the UK. In the meantime I had to go and fork out more money (which is bloody tight enough), in another store for more shoes for my son. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything from JD sports.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How exactly does the loop break with such ease?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Did this loop breaking really render the shoes useless?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

guttenberg wrote: »
    Did this loop breaking really render the shoes useless?

Unless I am mistaken, it would make a difference. You cant tie the shoe properly without the loop? Plus, it should be of durable quality. But I haven't ever heard of such happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If your method of complaint is anything akin to your posting style you need to think out your plan before entering the shop. Like it or not retail employees are human and will have emotional responses based on things like being shouted at. One exclamation mark per paragraph is more than enough - and I mean that in the sense of when you are speaking to people.

Beyond that you need to now write a letter - can I suggest that you bear this advice in mind when writing it. Explain your situation clearly and without emotion - stick to the facts and include that they were a Xmas present if you wish but don't make this the main thrust of your argument. Give them 10 days to refund you, as due to the nature of the issue, you are rejecting the goods as you had to source a replacement and would have been happy to accept a replacement but the store refused. If they comeback offering a replacement only - I would probably accept however.

If that doesn't work I'd take it to the Small Claims Court out of principle - you're only likely to get a net result of €25 but it's better than nothing and will at least vindicate your position.

Don't all retailers have the right to investigate the damage before offering anything?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Don't all retailers have the right to investigate the damage before offering anything?

They do but the onus is on them to prove it was damaged by the customer inside the first six months. They've asked some pretty daft things of the OP like did he play football in them. I can't see that being considered fit for purpose/merchantable quality etc for a training shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I've not had an experience with buying stuff in JD Sports myself. I've been in there shops and know lads who've interviewed with them...

From what I've seen the company has a ridiculously young workforce(including Management) also a company that experiences fairly sizable staff turnover.

The personality of staff doesn't seem conducive to excellent customer service from my few visits to my local JD Sports, it reminds me of Footlocker(which from a number of bad experiences will never see any of my money ever), staff who are only there to get drinking money for the weekend and don't care weather they do a good job or not...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They do but the onus is on them to prove it was damaged by the customer inside the first six months. They've asked some pretty daft things of the OP like did he play football in them. I can't see that being considered fit for purpose/merchantable quality etc for a training shoe.
    You're thinking UK customer law with the 6 months; nothing like that in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

"Adidas make a crap loop on a shoe that breaks easily" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Unless I am mistaken, it would make a difference. You cant tie the shoe properly without the loop? Plus, it should be of durable quality. But I haven't ever heard of such happening!

If you avoided using the other loop and just tied it at the next ring down it'd probably suffice, worked when a loop on an old pair of boots broke on me! OP hasn't returned but it's hardly unfair for the shop to want to get them examined before issuing an exchange/refund, especially if they may be showing excess signs of wear for two days usage. Go back and ask to speak to the manager, be courteous, and if asked for them to be sent for examination let them. It's a fair policy IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Had this years ago with a pair of runners from another sports retailer. TBH I think the fact it was for a child and the time of year may have added to the issue. Mine got sent away and replaced, took about two weeks

Nody wrote: »
    You're thinking UK customer law with the 6 months; nothing like that in Ireland.

Mary Harney disagrees - Read SI 11 of 2003.

Edit: Section 8(1)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sandyred7

How exactly does the loop break with such ease?
    The loop is at the bottom of the shoe near the toe area, and is only made of material.

Advertisement