Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 wont boot

Options
  • 26-12-2012 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

my sons ps3 will not boot games. It will load to a certain point, then screen goes black. I think the dvd drive is making a faint intermittant clicking that i dont think it did before (may be wrong, dont use it much)

By some googling and youtube vids, people seem to point towards the lens needing a clean. I did this years ago on a ps2 when it got awkward loading and presto:)

The youtube vids make it look straightforward enough (i have torx etc.) is this a common fault and does cleaning the lens sort it? Or am i better dropping it to one of the console repair places?

And of all the days for it to happen, when he gets a new flatscreen and a load of games. Really would like to try and sort it for him today if i can;)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Try a lens cleaner, can be got in €2 shops.
    Try putting it standing on its side.

Clicking HDD Is a sign that its on the way out.

How old is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

2 yrs old yesterday but used a lot. Thanks for that, are they effective or will i have to open it/get someone to?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try a lens cleaner, can be got in €2 shops.
    Try putting it standing on its side.

Clicking HDD Is a sign that its on the way out.

How old is it?

Stood it on its side and it loaded 3 games i tried one after the other, no faint clicking. Son started playing lego pirates and it froze a few minutes later. Now faint clicking back, and will only boot to first screen/sometimes black screen.

Googling seems to say try a blu ray cleaning disc, will get one tomorrow, any other ideas / experiences of this?? Will a regular dvd cleaning disc work?

It has been used in dusty places, i cleaned all vents with a cotton bud, is it just full of dust or dirty laser?

Thanks again

Stood it on its side and it loaded 3 games i tried one after the other, no faint clicking. Son started playing lego pirates and it froze a few minutes later. Now faint clicking back, and will only boot to first screen/sometimes black screen.

Googling seems to say try a blu ray cleaning disc, will get one tomorrow, any other ideas / experiences of this?? Will a regular dvd cleaning disc work?

It has been used in dusty places, i cleaned all vents with a cotton bud, is it just full of dust or dirty laser?
    Really could be anything by the sounds of it, loading but then not playing could be over heating, you'll never clean it with a cotton bud. Try any lense cleaner, if no joy, open it and clean it out.

Replace HDD.

If all that fails you'll have to bring to repair place, new lazer.

• Advertisement

Im reading loads of conflicting stuff, is any lens cleaner ok, or do i need a specific one

Im reading loads of conflicting stuff, is any lens cleaner ok, or do i need a specific one
    Little bristles on the one I have, did the job for me when standing on it's side stopped working. If you can get the suction type cheap then do if you're worried, I didn't even know they existed at the time so had no problem using the bristle ones.

Got the cleaner today, no joy. What do you reckon, buy a new one or can anyone recommend a repair shop wicklow/south dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Console Repairs are in Bray.

http://consolerepairs.ie/

• Advertisement

€150 for new super slim model in hmv.

Dont know spec.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

€150 for new super slim model in hmv.

Dont know spec.

12GB model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

160gb slim. Im not sure but would a 12gb even have enough room for multiple saves let alone anything else?

No it wouldn't be big enough, you could use the hard drive from your old PS3 or purchase a 500gb or 750gb one.

Note: all your old data will be erased.

eddhorse wrote: »
    No it wouldn't be big enough, you could use the hard drive from your old PS3 or purchase a 500gb or 750gb one.

Note: all your old data will be erased.

Can you find the exact model number on the PS3 slim 160GB.

CECH-25 or CECH-30

There should be 2 more numbers and a letter after one of those.

I might have a spare lens.

Ed

Advertisement