Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a tattered phone line replaced?

Options
  • 26-12-2012 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I live about 3 miles out from my home town and the phone line going into my house is quite old. My broadband speed is slow compared to my neighbors (I usually get about 1.5mb download but my neighbors with Eircom say they get 3~4mb speed most of the time) and my broadband speed seems to be heavily effected by the weather. Could this be down to my old, tattered phone line? How can I find out what my download speed should be for my area?

If it is attributable to the phone line I have a few questions about the possibility of getting a phone line replaced:

Is it possible to get a phone line replaced? How much does it cost? How long would I be without a phone line in the process?

2394499551.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

I also forgot to mention that my internet access cuts out from time to time. It seems to go through phases; sometimes it can be on for a few days straight and sometimes it cuts out every hour or couple of hours for a few days. It makes it extremely frustrating to stream on Netflix or play any online games. It has been this way for years, even when I was with BT and it happens on any router I use - this was the initial reason I thought the phone line was damaged.

I contacted BT and Eircom several times regarding my broadband's temperamental nature and nothing has ever been done to fix it ever. I thought about using mobile or satellite alternatives but they can't supply the same speed and UPC or any other cable broadband isn't in my area yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Iammwa wrote: »
    I live about 3 miles out from my home town and the phone line going into my house is quite old. My broadband speed is slow compared to my neighbors (I usually get about 1.5mb download but my neighbors with Eircom say they get 3~4mb speed most of the time) and my broadband speed seems to be heavily effected by the weather. Could this be down to my old, tattered phone line? How can I find out what my download speed should be for my area?

If it is attributable to the phone line I have a few questions about the possibility of getting a phone line replaced:

Is it possible to get a phone line replaced? How much does it cost? How long would I be without a phone line in the process?

2394499551.png

Hi Iammwa
    If you PM me your tel. no I can advise you of max possible speeds there. I can also investigate why your speed is lower than that of neighbour.
    Tony

Thanks for your response Tony, I sent you my land line number via PM. Could you also investigate the issue of regular disconnection? Or is that not possible off-site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks for your response Tony, I sent you my land line number via PM. Could you also investigate the issue of regular disconnection? Or is that not possible off-site?
    Thanks Iammwa
    I have replied via PM.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to let you know that I have contacted the technical support team and they are sending me a new router and a technician to troubleshoot the connection on-site.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to let you know that I have contacted the technical support team and they are sending me a new router and a technician to troubleshoot the connection on-site.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Iammwa

Thanks for the feeback, I shall pass this to Tony/

Regards

Al

Advertisement