Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Clara?

• 26-12-2012 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Now that we have seen the Christmas episode ,the Question is who is Clara?
    The doctor said the "Great Intelligence" rang a bell, so I did a bit of googeling
    as I have not see any of the old Dr Whos.
    It says the GI is googd with computers and can reamiate dead boadies. When it turned into to rain it would have seeped into the ground.Maybe it took over her boady , but her mind was to stong and she became dominate the personality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

mach1982 wrote: »
    Now that we have seen the Christmas episode ,the Question is who is Clara?
    The doctor said the "Great Intelligence" rang a bell, so I did a bit of googeling
    as I have not see any of the old Dr Whos.
    It says the GI is googd with computers and can reamiate dead boadies. When it turned into to rain it would have seeped into the ground.Maybe it took over her boady , but her mind was to stong and she became dominate the personality.

Hmmm, but that wouldn't explain why in the clips from the series to come, it showed
    Clara in modern times, but at the exact same age
    , would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The Doctors Daughter maybe? Another Time Traveller?

The Doctors Daughter maybe? Another Time Traveller?

Oh I really hope it's not her coz she kissed him!!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Oh I really hope it's not her coz she kissed him!!!! :P

Uuuugggghhhhh just remembered that..... Well these Aliens, you just never know...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Wait till the Dr.'s wife finds out about the kiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Another Timelord perhaps ? Although she has the same face 2nd time around so maybe not ?

ebbsy wrote: »
    Another Timelord perhaps ? Although she has the same face 2nd time around so maybe not ?

Well, I wouldn't mind the same face thing toooo much. After all, David Tennant kept the same face by siphoning off some of his regeneration power in to his spare left hand before. And The Master had his same face after his resurrection, and he said he was stuck with it. But Clara was
    buried
    at the end of the Christmas episode, absolutely no sign of regeneration. But who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

Maybe it's something to do with Rory and how he died and then he came to life as a Roman centurion?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

She's clearly Optimus Prime.

(I hope at least one person gets this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Part of me hopes that she is the Doctors daughter, it'd be nice to see the character make a good return and certainly something quite new.

It's also partially explain his fondness for her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've no idea who she is, but I wonder will she keep dying in every episode until the Doctor finally manages to save her.

edit: actually, I wonder could she be a Tardis. Something about that "smaller on the outside" line, sounds like something a Tardis might say. I must go back and look at that episode where the Doctors Tardis was put into a human body.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Part of me hopes that she is the Doctors daughter, it'd be nice to see the character make a good return and certainly something quite new.

It's also partially explain his fondness for her.
    I guess that's the part of you that forgot the Doc & Clara kissed ;) For that alone I hope she isn't his daughter!

My own theory, mentioned in the episode thread itself, is that Clara's the one person, whose consciousness is split (but shared) across time & space. The old-series story "City of Death" did something very similar, where the bad guy was fractured across time; the same guy, occupying different time periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've no idea who she is, but I wonder will she keep dying in every episode until the Doctor finally manages to save her.

edit: actually, I wonder could she be a Tardis. Something about that "smaller on the outside" line, sounds like something a Tardis might say. I must go back and look at that episode where the Doctors Tardis was put into a human body.
    I fucking *LOVE* that idea!

Sleepy wrote: »
    I fucking *LOVE* that idea!

Ditto!!! In fact, I love it so much that I am now fully convinced that this is the case. And if it's not, then they should've bloody well thought of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Given the fact her name, Clara Oswin Oswald, sounds about as organic as Easi-Singles, I'm half-guessing it's an anagram of some hint, but 'a racial downs slow' isn't really pointing me in any directions.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Given the fact her name, Clara Oswin Oswald, sounds about as organic as Easi-Singles, I'm half-guessing it's an anagram of some hint, but 'a racial downs slow' isn't really pointing me in any directions.

Would they copy a previous clue like that though? Melody Pond = River Song. Bit too samey, no?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well the Clara portion is after Lis Sladen (it was her middle name), so maybe see what you get when you eliminate that from the mix. :)

I don't think Clara's human, at least not entirely human. She believes she is, but I don't.

It was interesting that she started crying when she was handed the Tardis key, and she didn't know why. (Bit forward, Doc, sheesh)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is it my dodgy memory/imagination but wasn't the working title of that episode "smaller on the outside"?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I am wondering now if Clara is an accidental anomaly caused by restarting the Universe in 'The Big Bang'. Perhaps there was an ordinary Clara Oswyn Oswald in the original timelime but somehow she has been duplicated across several timeframes. Like a frame stuttering in a film reel. The Universe is trying to right itself, this is why the 'duplicate Clara's' are dying each time until only one will remain. Or am I overthinking this again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

The Doctor saves his companions (at the last minute) too damn much. If it has to be a case of needing to be saved I'd rather she save herself.

I'm really liking the idea of her being a Tardis but I can't see them actually doing that somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I bet it's going to tie in to the 50th anniversary somehow considering that she exists over multiple time periods which will lead to a multi Doctor arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

Achilles wrote: »
    I bet it's going to tie in to the 50th anniversary somehow considering that she exists over multiple time periods which will lead to a multi Doctor arc.

I like this idea - 'The Eleven Doctors' using CGI for the dead/very old actors would be pretty awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

There's a bit of a spoiler here so if you've not seen the episode known as "Asylum of the Daleks" (broadcast 1st September 2012) then read no further.

Clara Oswald is not only the same character who appeared in the 2012 Christmas Day special as a governess, but she's also the character who appeared in "Asylum of the Daleks" (shown below) in which you are kept thinking throughout the episode that she is an ordinary girl trapped inside the Starship Alaska which has crash landed on a planet full of Daleks. She keeps mentioning "eggs" and she likes to use eggs to cook soufflé to keep herself occupied onboard. But then you find out in the end that she's actually IS a Dalek and that the "spaceship" is actually the outer shell of the Dalek and that the "eggs" which she kept referring to was actually "ex.....ex....ex......exterminate!!". That's the episode in which Clara first appears.

p00y2wh3.jpg

The Doctor becomes intrigued as to how the same woman lived and died in two different centuries and begins searching across time for her, until he meets her again in 21st century London in "The Bells of Saint John."

Who knows what she is? The Doctor is supposed to be the only Time Lord remaining as the rest all died in the Time War, but maybe we will be surprised and find out that the Doctor isn't alone and that Clara is one of his kind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe she is a time lord? OK against that is that they can recognise each other straight away and when they die they regenerate and they have two hearts etc. But like pixelburp said she's scattered through time. Maybe if she escaped the time war by scattering bits of her incarnation throughout time she'd not be complete so would pass under the Doc's radar.

Now I'm getting my Nerd on. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I think the Clara we saw in this episode is the original Clara Oswald because;
    She invented the moniker Oswin
    She acquired her L33t puter skilllzzz
    She was given the phrase 'Run You Clever Boy and Remember'

so this is Clara-Zero, something will happen to her over the course of the series where her conciousness is spread across multiple timelines, probably as part of an act of vengance by an enemy of the doctor, seems as if Richard E Grants Great inteligence is shaping up to be the big bad for this series.

Doctor becomes overly fond of clara, doctor needs to be distracted and demoralised so Clara gets spread across muiltiple timelines, he must find each Clara, however he can only save one of her, so each time he must determine if the clara he meets is Clara Zero or if he must watch as his efforts fail and repeated iterations of Clara Oswyn Oswald die in his arms.

that seems like a Moffaty type of storyline

Good call TC, that sounds like a winner. To take that further, maybe she's a trap set by this Great Intelligence? A trap to lure the Doc all over time and space. Maybe the various "Clara's" are projections of the one Clara held by the GI, kinda like Amy was held while preggers? Though that would be too much of a copy and cop out.

Other notions? I know it's a stretch but could she be Romana? I only really say that cos if I was casting a new Romana I'd be looking at her. The attitude kinda matches too.

There's also another time lordy type out there, Jenny the Docs kid. Might be a connection there?

Now that Tennant and Piper are pencilled in for the anniversary ep, here's a wacky one, what if she's their daughter?. The reason there are more of her is because she's leaked through the cracks between the cracks in the other universe OK OK yea that is a bit *inhales morrocan woodbines* alright and it would mean he's flirted with and kissed his own daughter. Kinda. Plus she's not blonde, but maybe Rose wasn't either? :D

The external tardis phone ringing part puzzles me though. Yea Martha rang the Tardis, but I'm now thinking it was a moby in the Tardis? When Ecclestones doc was on the go that WW2 kid hyped up on goofballs/nanotech was able to call the phone on the outside. That flummoxed the Doctor IIRC. That's impossible kinda thing. The kid could call anything with a speaker. Given the title of the episode the phone may hold the clue? So if it is impossible to call that phone and twice the Doc has said it is(and twice he's been wrong, but got an explanation the first time) how did she do it and do it across time while she was at it?

Who was the woman in the shop who had the number in the first place? Can't be Martha. Rose? Again IIRC in one of the very first episodes of the reboot, didn't she ring the Tardis (inside)phone from her moby? I also seem to recall her moby ringing and on the screen was a pic of the Tardis and it's name, so it was ringing her and she stored the number so she defo had it(I'm going on memory here though and don't have the old eps so...). Given that Rose is coming back that would plug into that too.

Yep defo have my Whovian hat on today. :D For a nice change I'm enjoying the what if clues stuff too. I normally don't TBH.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think there's definitely something familial about the way he treats her. He's being more of a protector than a Peter Pan type this time.

I'd say he sees a lot of Susan in her. The fact that she won't walk out on those she cares about (he had to force Susan to leave him). She's super smart and kind. The cheeky slant is different though. :p I get the feeling that he's not mad about the flirting (although he rarely welcomes flirting from anyone).

I was reading the Eoin Colfer mini-story recently and the way he thinks about Susan in that is similar to the way he's soft for Clara.

If it wasn't for that kiss I would still be of the opinion that she and the Doctor were related, but I really really don't think they're going to have family members snogging in a BBC family programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Did anyone else notice the envelope in Clara's book was labelled property of DELSA?
    What is DELSA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I like this idea but I'm still hung up on the two missing year in your book.

Also all the ages are written the same, most peoples writing changes over the years.

zdSrkAXl.png

AF4RrKXl.png

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I think the Clara we saw in this episode is the original Clara Oswald because;
    She invented the moniker Oswin
    She acquired her L33t puter skilllzzz
    She was given the phrase 'Run You Clever Boy and Remember'

so this is Clara-Zero, something will happen to her over the course of the series where her conciousness is spread across multiple timelines, probably as part of an act of vengance by an enemy of the doctor, seems as if Richard E Grants Great inteligence is shaping up to be the big bad for this series.

It's shown up as " TARDIS" on display when he called Rose a few times.

hXPF3Mg.gif

WTF... I maybe too tired but does a Nokia normally display "Silent", "Mute" or "Silence" as an option!!!!!

Also I'd rule out anybody in the below clip from know the direct number for the TARDIS or they would of used it.

On the note of the Doctor thinking it was impossible to call the external phone be was also shocked when River know stuff about flying the TARDIS that he did not, and she said he thought her, so the Doctor could of given her the number in the future and she then found away of getting to it herself in the past.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The external tardis phone ringing part puzzles me though. Yea Martha rang the Tardis, but I'm now thinking it was a moby in the Tardis? When Ecclestones doc was on the go that WW2 kid hyped up on goofballs/nanotech was able to call the phone on the outside. That flummoxed the Doctor IIRC. That's impossible kinda thing. The kid could call anything with a speaker. Given the title of the episode the phone may hold the clue? So if it is impossible to call that phone and twice the Doc has said it is(and twice he's been wrong, but got an explanation the first time) how did she do it and do it across time while she was at it?

Who was the woman in the shop who had the number in the first place? Can't be Martha. Rose? Again IIRC in one of the very first episodes of the reboot, didn't she ring the Tardis (inside)phone from her moby? I also seem to recall her moby ringing and on the screen was a pic of the Tardis and it's name, so it was ringing her and she stored the number so she defo had it(I'm going on memory here though and don't have the old eps so...). Given that Rose is coming back that would plug into that too.

Yep defo have my Whovian hat on today. :D For a nice change I'm enjoying the what if clues stuff too. I normally don't TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

It's shown up as " TARDIS" on display when he called Rose a few times.

hXPF3Mg.gif

WTF... I maybe too tired but does a Nokia normally display "Silent", "Mute" or "Silence" as an option!!!!!

It's a while since I've had a Nokia but pretty sure silence, as in to mute the call, was if no longer is, an option. I definitely had it on a phone at some point anyway...

Advertisement