Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Clara?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Did anyone else notice the envelope in Clara's book was labelled property of DELSA?
    What is DELSA?

Probably something put there to drive people on tumblr mad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Das Kitty wrote: »

Data-Enabled Life Sciences Alliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

so this is Clara-Zero, something will happen to her over the course of the series where her conciousness is spread across multiple timelines, probably as part of an act of vengance by an enemy of the doctor, seems as if Richard E Grants Great inteligence is shaping up to be the big bad for this series.

Something like that happen before when Rose look in the heart of Tradis.

mach1982 wrote: »
    Something like that happen before when Rose look in the heart of Tradis.

Sort of. But Rose became some sort of all knowing god in that case and could scatter a message throught time.

You'd think with all that oversight she'd be less insecure when she snapped out of it. :pac:

(I swear to feck, if the version of Rose we get in the 50th is still the horrible jealous version... Well I'll do nothing. But I won't be happy. :P )

It's a name apparently

http://www.sevenreflections.com/name/delsa/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Since Clara always wears Air Force Wings.....

MdOtyiO.png

65gk7iq.png

Could this be her father?
    Would explain her ability to come back to live, also The Doctor could not understand his powers either/

LyOeAcG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hadn't spotted the wings. I don't know if they link to Jack but they might come to something. Then again loads of people wondered about River and Amy's matching watches and it never came to anything.

I don't think she would be Jack's daughter, he is immortal but she has multiple incarnations over different timelines. She doesn't so much come back to life as repeatedly die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We already met Jacks daughter though, in season 3 of Torchwood, and as far as was implied, she was normal & mortal. He could have other children (given the man, that's highly likely of course) but doesn't seem like his curse is hereditary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Ok, what if she was Jack and Rivers love child.....
    pixelburp wrote: »
    We already met Jacks daughter though, in season 3 of Torchwood, and as far as was implied, she was normal & mortal. He could have other children (given the man, that's highly likely of course) but doesn't seem like his curse is hereditary

Well that's put the end to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Thinking out loud here. And I think that the real question is not "Who is Clara", but "Who is (contains spoilers for The Rings of Akhaten)
    Clara's mother, in 1981, used the expression "Oh my stars" during her first meeting with Clara's father, and again when she met the Doctor when Clara was a child.
    When Clara spoke of going missing in Blackpool in The Rings of Akhaten, she says that her "world ended", but her mother found her and drove her home. Her mother said that no matter what, she will will always find her.
    Now, considering Clara's habit of dying, is it possible that she actually died in Blackpool, and somehow, her mother brought her back?
    Perhaps her mother has the power to time travel/is a timelord? Or is just some sort of magic, other worldly type?
    I think that perhaps Clara's mother is the key in the Clara riddle.
    Going back to the term "Oh my stars", and its repetition during the last episode (I counted its use three times, twice by mother and once by Clara) that it opens up the possibility that Clara's mum worshipped celestial bodies, rather than conventional religion. Most people would say "Oh my god" - whether religious or not. I think that its repeated use is intentional. It did irk me somewhat when I heard it first.

Has Clara's form been duplicated and scattered through time due to some meddling with timelines by her mother saving her from death causing a space-time anomaly?

I'm also wondering why does Clara not recognise The Doctor from her mothers funeral until she leaves the TARDIS at the end of The Rings of Akhaten? Such a traumatic day in somebodies life would surely be deeply ingrained in ones memory, she surely would have recognised The Doctor when he meets her in The Bells of St John? All that had changed in the meantime was her losing "the most important leaf in human history". She also says that things seemed different.

Lots of possibilities, but my train of thought is currently leading me to believe that Clara's mother is the real mystery, rather than Clara herself, and even The Doctor is currently unaware of this?
    Any thoughts?

(I may expand on these ideas later if I have another Nerdgasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm guessing this wasn't accidental.
    On 5 March 2005, Rose Tyler first met the Doctor during the Nestene invasion of Earth. Also during this date, Ellie Oswald, the mother of Clara Oswald, died. (TV: The Rings of Akhaten)

It was also the date in which the 1st episode of Nu-Who leaked.

One of these facts may be more significant than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hang on, didn't something similar happen with Gwyneth and Gwen Cooper off Torchwood?
    Back then the Doctor and Rose ust laughed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax will be in this week's episode. It will be interesting to see how they react to Clara since they met Victorian nanny Clara in the Christmas special. I also wonder if The Doctor purposely seeks them out because of this in his quest to find out who Clara really is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax will be in this week's episode. It will be interesting to see how they react to Clara since they met Victorian nanny Clara in the Christmas special. I also wonder if The Doctor purposely seeks them out because of this in his quest to find out who Clara really is.
    Oh yeah; good point, I never thought of that when watching the trailer, they're going to get a surprise when they meet Clara - I suspect there'll be a quiet word or two between the Doc & Vastra at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Been reading through the BBC website
    We can at last confirm that the finale will also solve the mystery around ‘the impossible girl’. Having remained tight-lipped about Clara, is Jenna looking forward to being able to talk about her character’s enigma? ‘I am, I can’t wait!’ she admits. ‘All I can say is that Clara hasn’t just met the Doctor three times before…’

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Coldzone wrote: »
    Been reading through the BBC website
    We can at last confirm that the finale will also solve the mystery around ‘the impossible girl’. Having remained tight-lipped about Clara, is Jenna looking forward to being able to talk about her character’s enigma? ‘I am, I can’t wait!’ she admits. ‘All I can say is that Clara hasn’t just met the Doctor three times before…’
    ROMANA!

Was re watching the the Bells of Saint John , and notice in Clara book , the age 23 is missing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just a thought and maybe this is the long day talking...
    I've been kinda reminded of Rose(awaits flaming, but dammit I would...) a bit particularly the bad wolf stuff where after she gets all godlike and such she puts messages through time to save oul Up North Doc (and later on IIRC flash Harry Doc), what if Clara is doing the same, but instead of graffiti and the like is putting herself across time to save bowties are cool(no, really they're not) Doc? Bad Wolf (kinda)= Run you silly boy, and remember. This would maybe plug into the 10th/11th 50 year special thang?

First time in this site I've clicked spoilers. :D Given that it's me then it makes it the least likely...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

mach1982 wrote: »
    Was re watching the the Bells of Saint John , and notice in Clara book , the age 23 is missing

16 and 23 are missing. She was 16 when her mum died, and her birthday is 23 Nov - no idea how relevant either is, though, or if they are at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

God I'm getting bad now... :o:) One odd thing about Clara. At the end of the new Cybermen episode, he takes her home with the kids. See you next wednesday and off she goes back into her life. The previous episode the same thing. He drops her home back to her life. So she's a part time companion. Unlike the others she doesn't drop everything and run off with him.

Even odder as she has less to drop. Rose had her bloke and her ma, Martha had her medical degree and her family. OK Donna had feck all other than her dad but you see what I mean. The others pretty much all ran away all googly eyed at the Doc and what adventures he would bring. Clara is a nanny, no real family as such, no boyfriend, yet she doesn't drop everything, but lives a normal life with the Doc showing up once a week for a bit of excitement. Oh hang on... :eek::eek::eek: maybe Clara is a viewer/fan. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Even odder as she has less to drop. Rose had her bloke and her ma, Martha had her medical degree and her family. OK Donna had feck all other than her dad but you see what I mean. The others pretty much all ran away all googly eyed at the Doc and what adventures he would bring. Clara is a nanny, no real family as such, no boyfriend, yet she doesn't drop everything, but lives a normal life with the Doc showing up once a week for a bit of excitement. Oh hang on... :eek::eek::eek: maybe Clara is a viewer/fan. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this is deliberate. It means that unlike previous companions, he only gets to see 'part' of her. The part she chooses to share. It means also that it takes much longer to figure her out as he only spends time with her part time.

Also. We've seen her wearing RAF wings in previous episodes. In Nightmare in Silver she gets to wear some kind of officer's badge that looks very similar to that. (Sorry not in a position to pull up images right now but will do so later). So what's the story with these wing features? Angels or something else.

As for who Clara is. She is in a sense the perfect companion. She's not too demanding. She goes off on adventures and then she goes away again. Considering we have already gone through the companion as a trap thing with Amy, I'd like to think that's not the case here.

So if it's to help the Doctor, to keep him sane in dark times then my money would be on either River Song or Rose (Bad Wolf). One things is for certain, Moffat tricked us by calling Clara a 'soft mystery'. It now looks more likely that Clara is connected with all his previous incarnations. But the how and the why remains to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moffat seems to have a thing for this - after all, Amy and Rory were part time companions for the last bit of their run!

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Moffat seems to have a thing for this - after all, Amy and Rory were part time companions for the last bit of their run!

It's a bit more ambiguous as to whose choice the part timing is in this case. It was the Doctor doing it for the Ponds' own good last time, though they took to it pretty quickly.

I don't think Clara knows there is another option here. He hasn't asked her to come away with him properly. (Not this incarnation of her anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

It's a bit more ambiguous as to whose choice the part timing is in this case. It was the Doctor doing it for the Ponds' own good last time, though they took to it pretty quickly.

I don't think Clara knows there is another option here. He hasn't asked her to come away with him properly. (Not this incarnation of her anyway).

True, he hasn't even given her a Tardis key yet, has he? And he's always doling those out like candy!

It doesn't make sense to do that - see you Wednesday - stuff though; TIME MACHINE!!! When he left the Ponds, it was for months at a time. The few days should be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

maybe the days she previously died was a Wednesday? didn't he also say any Wednesday? my thought is that he is deliberately putting her into positions where she is left alone and vulnerable whilst he is watching in the background. only a few more days....
    hmm, Wednesdays child is....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It doesn't make sense to do that - see you Wednesday - stuff though; TIME MACHINE!!! When he left the Ponds, it was for months at a time. The few days should be irrelevant.

Well he did say something along the line of "See you next Wednesday...well, a Wednesday" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well he did say something along the line of "See you next Wednesday...well, a Wednesday" ;)

'He's gonna somehow say Tuesday' was the first thing on my mind when the Doctor dropped that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well, i'm quite proud of this :)

I think I was fairly on the money

now to figure out who john hurt is :D
    I think the Clara we saw in this episode is the original Clara Oswald because;
    She invented the moniker Oswin
    She acquired her L33t puter skilllzzz
    She was given the phrase 'Run You Clever Boy and Remember'

so this is Clara-Zero, something will happen to her over the course of the series where her conciousness is spread across multiple timelines, probably as part of an act of vengance by an enemy of the doctor, seems as if Richard E Grants Great inteligence is shaping up to be the big bad for this series.

Doctor becomes overly fond of clara, doctor needs to be distracted and demoralised so Clara gets spread across muiltiple timelines, he must find each Clara, however he can only save one of her, so each time he must determine if the clara he meets is Clara Zero or if he must watch as his efforts fail and repeated iterations of Clara Oswyn Oswald die in his arms.

that seems like a Moffaty type of storyline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

well, i'm quite proud of this :)

I think I was fairly on the money

now to figure out who john hurt is :D

I bow to you Sir!

Advertisement