Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New water softener installed by plumber does not work

Options
  • 26-12-2012 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi I live in a lime rich area and our water is very hard.

It shortens life of washing machine and heating system and all other home appliances that use water.

In Feb 2011 a plumber that we use for years. Put in a softener for us.

He told me on the day that he thought he broke a part but he was wrong and it is working now.

Last month we discovered that the salt has never been refilled in the unit.. ie the unit never worked.

I have rang the plumber and he told me he would ring me back.

He never did.

What are my options with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

techtom wrote: »
    Hi I live in a lime rich area and our water is very hard.

It shortens life of washing machine and heating system and all other home appliances that use water.

In Feb 2011 a plumber that we use for years. Put in a softener for us.

He told me on the day that he thought he broke a part but he was wrong and it is working now.

Last month we discovered that the salt has never been refilled in the unit.. ie the unit never worked.

I have rang the plumber and he told me he would ring me back.

He never did.

What are my options with this

Your post doesn't make any sense?

Salt has to be constantly topped up by who ever is living in the house, it has nothing to do with the plumber - unless you want to pay them to come to the house every few months to put a bag of salt in the tank.

Secondly if there was salt in the tank and it is now gone then the softener is working - the salt is used to back wash the softener unit to keep the softening media working. Again what has this to do with the plumber?

Do you know how these units work? From your post it sounds like you don't, if that's the case it would be a good idea to read up on how they work before you get into an argument with the plumber.

If you do know how they work maybe re-write the post above to make it clearer - whats wrong with the unit, why you think it's wrong, why you think the plumber is at fault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Contact the plumber again and get him to call out and check out the system. As per above post- you do need to know how the system works- I presume you have read up on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems that both you and the plumber didn't do your research on this. If the plumber has been good up to this, I'd chalk it down to experience. Hard to find a good one.

Not ringing back is normal for tradesmen in my experience.

Advertisement