Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin as a capital?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OCorcrain

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The Lonely Planet guide has chosen its top five destinations for New Year’s Eve 2013, Dublin is one of them.

LOL just for New Year's Eve?

Is that all you can say in response to my post? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OCorcrain wrote: »
    Is that all you can say in response to my post? ;)

Well, you bought up the lack of Dublin on the Lonely Planet and it's there for New Years eve! Maybe you should have done a bit of googling before hand.

Unlike you, I'm not going to resort to knocking somewhere in a desperate plea to make my city look better! I don't need to and neither to you. Cork is a fantastic place, so it Dublin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

keith16 wrote: »
    Typical Cork nonsense. I bet he also has one of those stupid "peoples republic of cork" t-shirts with the star on it. Are they a communist or republican county?

And if they deem Cork as it's own state, why do they even care what the capital of Ireland is?

You might be overestimating how strongly the vast majority of people in Cork feel about the whole people's republic thing just a tad. And why are you banging on about Communism, because the T-shirt's red?

Well, you bought up the lack of Dublin on the Lonely Planet and it's there for New Years eve! Maybe you should have done a bit of googling before hand.

Unlike you, I'm not going to resort to knocking somewhere in a desperate plea to make my city look better! I don't need to and neither to you. Cork is a fantastic place, so it Dublin. ;)

LOL Someone is sensitive, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with you but you lot are some of the easiest people to wind up.

;)

LOL Someone is sensitive, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with you but you lot are the easiest people to wind up.

;)

No, sorry if you misunderstood me, your thread is amusing and all that, just a bit embarrassing of you, it's an honest shame you know so little about your own country.
    Not to mention Cork was the European Capital of Culture, was Dublin ever worthy of the honour though? wink.png

It was in 1991.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A come on keith, I answered all your questioned, pointed out the merits of the city and how tourists can enjoy it... when you have nothing to come back with, you accuse me of trolling?
    Rather than answer a question with a question, do you think 6 euros for a bus into the Center is a fair price ?

Answer the question then, yes or no ?

Answer the question then, yes or no ?

Yeah, I'd expect to pay around that in any city. I've paid more in the past. It wouldn't be the crux of my stay in a city though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Confab wrote: »
    A capital needs to have air and sea links to every major trading partner. It also needs a solid transport infrastructure, motorways linking it to even major city, most governmental and civil service offices and a reasonable population (>10% of the country's population). Essentially, it needs a central location.

Cork is too far south, fewer motorway links, not enough population, few government buildings, a poorer infrastructure and doesn't have nearly as many air and sea links as Dublin.

Cork would be a very poor choice for a capital.

Auckland is the biggest city in NZ, has everything you mentioned apart from the NZ Parliament. Even the PM lives in Auckland (Parnell to be exact).
    The capitol city is Wellington though.

It was in 1991.

Ah sure that doesn't count because Bertie Ahern obviously bribed someone to make it happen! ;)

A return train into Central London from Gatwick is something like €26. A one-way bus from Beauvais into Paris is €10. A one-way tram into Lyon from the airport is €14. A return bus into Rome cost me €12, and apparently it's more expensive if you don't book online.

The train ride from Schiphol to Amsterdam is the cheapest I've ever paid. €10 return into Dublin CC isn't very expensive compared to other European cities.

London is one of the most expensive cities in the World and Gatwick is 50 km away from the center.

Beuvais to Paris is 90km it like flying into Cork complaining about the cost of the bus to Cahir.

Lyon is 20km away from the City.

Rome ... I don't think anyone pays :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

No, sorry if you misunderstood me, your thread is amusing and all that, just a bit embarrassing of you, it's an honest shame you know so little about your own country.

Not my thread actually, you would know if you looked at the name of the person who started this amusing thread! OR do you mean post as opposed to thread:p

Ah sure I know plenty about my country, or do you mean county?

Typical Dubs always getting confused! Like they can't decide if they are British or Irish!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Jesus yiz are all like a bunch of toddlers. My town is better than your town, nah nah nah nah nah. Christ.

And by the way, Dublin Bus go to and from the Airport, so there is more than just the Aircoach at €10 return as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Rather than answer a question with a question, do you think 6 euros for a bus into the Center is a fair price ?

It's 2.40 for a bus from the airport to the City Centre. That's what I pay. Any local Dub's with local knowledge know to get the 41 or the 16 which are 2.40 and not the 747 which is 6 euro.

Not my thread actually, if you looked at the name of the person who started this amusing thread! :p

Ah sure I know plenty about my country, or do you mean county? You are making of slip ups there! ;)

I meant post. Your post is amusing... the whole lonely planet, City of Culture thing...

The only thing you are right about is my slip ups!!

It's 2.40 for a bus from the airport to the City Centre. That's what I pay. Any local Dub's with local knowledge know to get the 41 or the 16 which are 2.40 and not the 747 which is 6 euro.

Wish I'd said this.

That's the point

That's the point

I wouldn't base my experience of a city on the six Euro bus fare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rome ... I don't think anyone pays :pac::pac::pac:

The Italians are bigger gougers then CIE

If you get off 2 stops (about 5km) from the airport it's 2.60
    If you continue to the airport it's jacked up to 12 euro

When in Rome and all that.....;)
    Just dodge for 2 stops and pay the 2.60

Only tourists who haven't copped on yet pay the 12 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

I wouldn't base my experience of a city on the six Euro bus fare!

We had a fella on the Peoples Republic Of Cork site once that posted a thread saying that Dublin was better than Cork based on his experience of both cities McDonalds outlets!

We had a fella on the Peoples Republic Of Cork site once that posted a thread saying that Dublin was better than Cork based on his experience of both cities McDonalds outlets!

You're kidding me? There was a fella on the Dublin City forum that based his experience of Dublin on a walk he took. Up and down O'Connell street.

For three hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'm from Cork, and love the place, but almost equally I love Dublin, Seattle and London. I'm not biased at all TBH. And I am not arguing Cork should be capital, that's just stupid, but Cork is a cleaner, easier to navigate and in my experience nicer city. I've spent a lot of time in Dublin in bars all over the place.

But, in Cork it's very rare to be hassled by junkies for money unless you are at the bus station.

I can sit down in any pub in Cork, no matter where I am from in the World (except Britain in certain pubs) and strike up a conversation with anyone. In Dublin, you can't do that because everyone thinks you're gonna ask them for money.

I love both places, both have their upsides and both have their downsides.

I'm just delighted Cork doesn't have a Temple Bar area, fcuk that place.

I just thanked you because you said Seattle.

*smug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

kraggy wrote: »
    What the **** has Cork got to deem it the "real capital"?

One and only reason

Idiot.

You said it :D

You're kidding me? There was a fella on the Dublin City forum that based his experience of Dublin on a walk he took. Up and down O'Connell street.

For three hours.

I think it was a very bad wum attempt.I hope it was anyway.Anyway it's kind of sad to see the state of the uppert part of O'Connell Street in Limerick and William Street is full of two euro shops!The city council did a great job with that stretch from Bedford Row to the end of Thomas Street but the rest of the city centre was neglected.Apparently places like the crescent shopping centre are badly affecting the city centre.

The fact that part of the city is in Clare doesn't help either!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The fact that part of the city is in Clare doesn't help either!

Not to mention that the population whole of Raheen and Dooradoyle is not included in Limerick citys census figures!Limerick and Waterford are irelands hidden treasures.Waterfords a fine spot.It's a genuine no nonsence port city and the people are very friendly.It's packed full with historic monuments and museums too and the quay is a nice spot for a stroll.

I think it was a very bad wum attempt.I hope it was anyway.Anyway it's kind of sad to see the state of the uppert part of O'Connell Street in Limerick and William Street is full of two euro shops!The city council did a great job with that stretch from Bedford Row to the end of Thomas Street but the rest of the city centre was neglected.

It's sad to see any part of any city give in to tack, look at Le Ramblas in Barcelona, but when things get tough people are going to take rent money off Hitler if it pays the bills. The only thing is, for every crap shop, there's a good one and cheap, tacky parts of a city has silver linings... amazingly cheap good Asian food!!!
    Apparently places like the crescent shopping centre are badly affecting the city centre.

I was there a few weeks ago!!! Met a fella to do a deal on my way to Clare. How many fricken entrances does that place have?!?!?! I can certainly see it damaging the city... It was packed. I abhor shopping centers, but people are lazy (and overweight) when kids come along with buggy's our medieval cities get a bit awkward and "molls" are handy for some!

Cruises St full of the tracksuit brigade would drive some away too

It's sad to see any part of any city give in to tack, look at Le Ramblas in Barcelona, but when things get tough people are going to take rent money off Hitler if it pays the bills. The only thing is, for every crap shop, there's a good one and cheap, tacky parts of a city has silver linings... amazingly cheap good Asian food!!!

I was there a few weeks ago!!! Met a fella to do a deal on my way to Clare. How many fricken entrances does that place have?!?!?! I can certainly see it damaging the city... It was packed. I abhor shopping centers, but people are lazy (and overweight) when kids come along with buggy's our medieval cities get a bit awkward and "molls" are handy for some!

At least there is shops on William Street the top part of O'Connell Street or Patrick Street as it's officially called has a giant scaffolding that takes up nearly the whole length of the street.I think there was supposed to be a new shopping centre on that site but the recession put an end to that.

Cruises St full of the tracksuit brigade would drive some away too

Everone keeps blabbering on about how bad Cruises and Willam Street is but i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on both streets whenever im in Limerick.Mind you i've never been to Limerick on a saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Have lived in Dublin my entire life and I think it's an absolute kip. It has no special qualities which make it far from the same calibre of most capital cities. I much prefer Galway and Cork as cities, particularly the former.
    The fact that the most famous street in Dublin ,which is steeped in history, is permeated by junkies and the street where most people (and tourists) are left on by the bus is full of them as well epitomises its inferiority.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Have lived in Dublin my entire life and I think it's an absolute kip. It has no special qualities which make it far from the same calibre of most capital cities. I much prefer Galway and Cork as cities, particularly the former.
    The fact that the most famous street in Dublin ,which is steeped in history, is permeated by junkies and the street where most people (and tourists) are left on by the bus is full of them as well epitomises its inferiority.

I don't see the attraction with Galway.Yeah it's a grand spot to get drunk in but that it.As a city i find it underwhelming it's just a small square and the one street.You'd have the whole place seen on foot within the hour.For example the peoples parks in Waterford and Limerick are way bigger than Eyre Square yet you don't hear the natives of both cities blowing their trumpets about them!Fitzgerald park in Cork would also be a fair bit bigger than Eyre Square and Dublin is full of lovely parks to explore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One and only reason

You said it :D

the production of traitors? :confused:

I don't see the attraction with Galway

To some people Galway is a cheap temple bar (with really expensive restaurants) A lot of people view Galway as the Temple Bar of Ireland, overpriced, tacky, and nothing to do but booze. There's more to the city of course.

To some people Galway is a cheap temple bar (with really expensive restaurants) A lot of people view Galway as the Temple Bar of Ireland, overpriced, tacky, and nothing to do but booze. There's more to the city of course.

I know yeah like the whole thing with the buskers and the bodhran players.The place just feels like a theme park in the summer!It's not so bad in the off season.It's just the one irish city that doesn't feel authentic if that makes sense.Tom Ryan the former Limerick hurling manager is a great example of the mentality of a more underrated city like Limerick is like. ie That the people are honest and straight and they have no pretensions about themselves.Nearly everyone you meet would pick Galway over Limerick but Limerick as well as Waterford has a more down to earth and authentic atmosphere.I think Cork and Dublin have that too.It's like Galway sold it's soul for the tourists dollars!

Bambi wrote: »
    the production of traitors? :confused:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That the people are honest and straight and they have no pretensions about themselves

Well, without going in to detail, the deal I was doing with a fella in Limerick was a sale from donedeal.

I was the buyer, he was the seller.

I wasn't sure if the item was suitable for me and the seller suggested I take the item (cost €850 new) to "test it out" for a whole weekend... He wouldn't take a penny cause he "knew by my voice" that I was honest. I insisted that he took €100 in case I died.

In the end, the item didn't suit me and I had to give it back to him, so he didn't get his cash, but I bought a €30 product that he would appreciate.

He could have just taken the cash and given me the item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm from Cork. It's a nice enough place to live as cities (or big towns) go, but far from the wonderland some Cork people make it out to be. I don't like Dublin at all to be honest. Still, suggesting Cork should be the capital city of Ireland is silly beyond belief for many obvious reasons. Constantly comparing ourselves to another place reeks of an inferiority complex, it's embarrassing to hear people banging on about it so much. Stfu and be happy with your own city without comparing to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Not sure why people are bringing up Michael Collins, isn't he from Clonakilty?

Clonakilty for capital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A whole thread full of the very best of bitterness, jealousy, stupidity and ignorance with only the occasional pinch of sense.

Keep up the good work !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Think it all depends which Cork or Dublin your're living in, give me Montenotte over Finglas any day of the week

Likewise give me Clontarf over Gurranabraher.

Previous poster mentioned London, it's undoubtedly the UK capital but I've always regarded Manchester as the capital of the real England, Central London is good and certain places like Richmond or Chiswick are nice, but Zone 4,5, and 6 on the travelcard map are overwhelmingly a load of **** that wouldn't be missed if it all were bulldozed and grassed over.

• Advertisement

dd972 wrote: »
    Think it all depends which Cork or Dublin your're living in, give me Montenotte over Finglas any day of the week

Likewise give me Clontarf over Gurranabraher.

Previous poster mentioned London, it's undoubtedly the UK capital but I've always regarded Manchester as the capital of the real England, Central London is good and certain places like Richmond or Chiswick are nice, but Zone 4,5, and 6 on the travelcard map are overwhelmingly a load of **** that wouldn't be missed if it all were bulldozed and grassed over.

Same over here, I'd consider Amsterdam to be a load of hyped up balls, trying way to hard to be liberal.

In reality its full of expats trying to be Amsterdammers, whereas the Amsterdammers are all living and working in other parts of the country.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice place to visit, but Utrecht, Den Bosch, Terneuzen, Maastricht and Haarlem all have their charms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Same over here, I'd consider Amsterdam to be a load of hyped up balls, trying way to hard to be liberal.

In reality its full of expats trying to be Amsterdammers, whereas the Amsterdammers are all living and working in other parts of the country.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice place to visit, but Utrecht, Den Bosch, Terneuzen, Maastricht and Haarlem all have their charms too.

U zit in Nederland,? ik ken het wel, mensen zijn anders ten zuiden van de rijn rivier, een beetje meer ontspannt, denk ik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Almost 100 posts and not one mention of the marble city?
    Well now, funny you should mention KK.

We could do as the Aussies and locate the capital between two rival cities, in that case Canberra is approximately equidistant between Sydney and Melbourne.

Taking an as the crow flies measurement between the two and bisecting, the new capital would be less than 10km SW of the existing Kilkenny City. Sure it already has a city charter and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I don't see the attraction with Galway.Yeah it's a grand spot to get drunk in but that it.As a city i find it underwhelming it's just a small square and the one street.You'd have the whole place seen on foot within the hour.For example the peoples parks in Waterford and Limerick are way bigger than Eyre Square yet you don't hear the natives of both cities blowing their trumpets about them!Fitzgerald park in Cork would also be a fair bit bigger than Eyre Square and Dublin is full of lovely parks to explore!

It's not about size, though? Galway is very picturesque in my opinion and has a great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

dd972 wrote: »
    U zit in Nederland,? ik ken het wel, mensen zijn anders ten zuiden van de rijn rivier, een beetje meer ontspannt, denk ik

Ah Here, Leave It Out :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Armagh is the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland. Just throwing that in there. I wouldn't recommend making it the actual capital though. The "city," and i use the term lightly, hasn't much going for it and while the athletic grounds may look great after the upgrade it's no Croke Park.

realies wrote: »
    Ah Here, Leave It Out :);)

In my head I heard this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLglSByGGo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

What the **** has Cork got to deem it the "real capital"?

Idiot.

The only decent thing the Black and Tans ever did was set fire to Cork!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Very clannish in here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

It's give and take keith. All cities are different, that's the beauty of them. Other European cities don't have free museums. Some of them are very very expensive. Other European cities don't have a pre-theater or early bird culture like Dublin making eating out expensive. You spend in one area and save in another.

For example, in Netherlands €50 gets you entrance to all the museums in the country. Charging some money might help in upkeep and development of our actual history around the whole country instead of just a few located near Merrion Square.

Pre-theater early-bird is everywhere on the planet. Pirates in Somali probably have all-you-can-eat sushi before heading out for the evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement