Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos ipod exchange?

Options
  • 26-12-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

I got an ipod for a Christmas present but to be honest I won't use it,will Argos allow me to Exchange it for something else?
    It's still in the original packaging,hasn't been touched and I have the receipt but it does say "exempt from 30 day guarantee." :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is it sealed? They might be OK to exchange if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭ooter

Is it sealed? They might be OK to exchange if it is.

Yeah It's sealed at both ends,genuinely hasn't been touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Argos are generally really good at returns/exchanges. Give it a go, at the worst you'll get store vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The problem here is that the iPod is a memory-containing device, which Argos generally don't take back (unless faulty). The fact that it is sealed may work in your favour, but you won't know until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

They don't have to, it's against their policy to, but if you get someone nice, you'll get a gift card no bother :)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads,Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Returns policies are usually relaxed over the post-Xmas period. If it's genuinely sealed go in, be as nice as pie and ask for an exchange rather than a refund. Try a couple of different Argos stores - starting with the one it was purchased from.

Worst comes to worst you can sell it on Adverts.ie

One other thing you can do which is a bit naughty but, actually I used to do as a retail manager. If somewhere else sells the same product take it in there and ask them to exchange it - without receipt - obviously dont mention it was bought elsewhere. I used to entertain this as a store manager as I knew it would make someone happy and usually ensure repeat business at no, or very little cost to me. That said this is of dubious moral character.

Brought it back to the store it was bought in and the girl wouldn't exchange it,I said to her that I thought they'd relax their policy given the time of year it is but she was having none of it.
    Bad customer service,Argos have lost a good customer in me..

In fairness, it was pretty clear that it was excluded from their returns policy. I wouldn't call it bad customer service, per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

no but she could have at least offered him shop vouchers for it instead given the time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ooter wrote: »
    Brought it back to the store it was bought in and the girl wouldn't exchange it,I said to her that I thought they'd relax their policy given the time of year it is but she was having none of it.
    Bad customer service,Argos have lost a good customer in me..

Who did you talk to, a staff member or the manager?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Who did you talk to, a staff member or the manager?

Probably a staff member,I didn't ask to speak to a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Probably a staff member,I didn't ask to speak to a manager.

I agve to advice - you ignored it. Not poor service, poor negotaition skills imho :D

Sell it on adverts.ie

Got on to Argos on the twittor machine and they told me to speak to the manager but it's at his/her discretion.
    May head back in so..

no but she could have at least offered him shop vouchers for it instead given the time of year

Excluded from their returns policy, means that they don't take it back in any shape or form (as part of a change of mind scenario). This means that store vouchers couldn't be offered.

dudara wrote: »
    Excluded from their returns policy, means that they don't take it back in any shape or form (as part of a change of mind scenario). This means that store vouchers couldn't be offered.

It's not a change of mind scenario,I got it as a gift but I already have an iPhone so wouldn't have any use for it.
    If I had bought it I wouldn't expect them to take it back as I would have understood the 30 day guarantee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

It's not a change of mind scenario,I got it as a gift but I already have an iPhone so wouldn't have any use for it.
    If I had bought it I wouldn't expect them to take it back as I would have understood the 30 day guarantee..

Meet them half way and ask for voucher's in exchange. If it's the cash you want, sell it on adverts.

Meet them half way and ask for voucher's in exchange. If it's the cash you want, sell it on adverts.

They won't take it back in any shape or form.

The best way to get value for the item is to sell it on. (Unless you somehow manage to get very lucky and persuade a manager to take it back in violation of their policy).

Meet them half way and ask for voucher's in exchange.

Did that,she said no.I told her straight off I wasn't looking for a refund.

Went back in and asked to speak to the manager,got sorted with a card credited to the value.
    Well done argos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Went back in and asked to speak to the manager,got sorted with a card credited to the value.
    Well done argos.

Argos were well in their rights but win win for everyone.

Argos were well in their rights but win win for everyone.

Maybe,I'd like to think that common sense prevailed.
    Anyhoo,win win is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Sister got me wireless headphones that are excluded from the 30 day return in Argos. She checked when buying and they put extra stickers on the box and took it back no problem (I didn't want them).

Advertisement