Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle wanted

Options
  • 26-12-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Looking for an air rifle for shooting in sheds. Thinking of a .177 breakbarrel. All ideas considered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Cobs

Well If it was me id go for a PCP where you would have ten shot mag and good power.
    It would all depend on your budget too and how much you want to spend on a air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KE_MAN

Would not recommend a break barrel either. Definately go for a PCP. Would recommend a good second hand PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had a break barrel BSA metor in .22 as young lad.
    Cheap to buy and cheap to run.

Good starting out air rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Thanks for the replies.
    I was watching youtube videos of that mr real tree lad shooting pigeons in sheds and it looked good fun. Plus i met a farmer with couple of farmers with crow problems in sheds. a pcp seems to be , very quite and adjustable power, magazine etc. Id love a pcp but as It would be rare I would use The air rifle So I might go for a break barrel as money is tight.
    I only need as much power to kill a bird in a shed. The .177 appears to fly flat so I may not need a scope.
    Am I being realistic in what I think a .177 break barrel can do performance wise. Max range would be in a cow/grain shed, maybe a tree? Will I need a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

SeeZee wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I was watching youtube videos of that mr real tree lad shooting pigeons in sheds and it looked good fun. Plus i met a farmer with couple of farmers with crow problems in sheds. a pcp seems to be , very quite and adjustable power, magazine etc. Id love a pcp but as It would be rare I would use The air rifle So I might go for a break barrel as money is tight.
    I only need as much power to kill a bird in a shed. The .177 appears to fly flat so I may not need a scope.
    Am I being realistic in what I think a .177 break barrel can do performance wise. Max range would be in a cow/grain shed, maybe a tree? Will I need a mod

I do all my shooting in sheds with a gamo .177. Hollow point pellets are the only way to go. Kill first time every time.

• Advertisement

Would recommend a moderator alright. A break barrel with < 12 ft/lb power would have a range of up to 35 - 45 yards provided you use good quality pellets (Air Arms/JSB/H&N/Bisley/RWS/Webley). The advantage of the moderator too is that it would allow you do a bit of night shooting in the sheds with a lamp which is the best time to knock them down. BSA meteor MK7 is latest version available and would set you back £185.00 STG in the UK + Hawke/Nikko Stirling Scope & Quality Mounts (£60)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

KE_MAN wrote: »
    Would recommend a moderator alright. A break barrel with < 12 ft/lb power would have a range of up to 35 - 45 yards provided you use good quality pellets (Air Arms/JSB/H&N/Bisley/RWS/Webley). The advantage of the moderator too is that it would allow you do a bit of night shooting in the sheds with a lamp which is the best time to knock them down. BSA meteor MK7 is latest version available and would set you back £185.00 STG in the UK + Hawke/Nikko Stirling Scope & Quality Mounts (£60)

Whats the quality of the bsa's like though ? I was talking to a guy who had a new one and it had to be sent back to bsa three times for repairs before it was sorted. I know the production was moved back from gamo in spain to birmingham last year , made any difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

As the old and true saying goes "buy once......buy well"
    you dont have to go for break barrel ya have better performance with the under lever type like a "hw97" but like the guys above said pcp all the way once you use one theres nothing to touch em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Cobs wrote: »
    ...id go for a PCP...
    KE_MAN wrote: »
    Would not recommend a break barrel either. Definately go for a PCP.

It's been demonstrated time and time again that there's very little a PCP can do that a good break barrell can't so don't be so quick to rule them out lads (and I say this as a user of both).

PCP's are easier to shoot on account of the near absense of recoil, but there's very little in the accuracy at realistic ranges. It takes a lot more skill to use a springer though - so you need to be prepared to put in the practice time required to get your group sizes down to a reliable diameter.

Would recommend the OP look towards a Weihrauch HW80/90 depending on whether or not you want a spring or a gas ram (I'd recommed the latter), or you could also look towards a '77 if you're willing to consider an underlever rather than a BB.

Any of the above will be expensive compared to your el-cheapo Gamo or BSA springers (not that all of either are bad rifles, but the cheaper ones people usually buy are complete muck!) but they'll still be about half the price of a PCP setup.

My understanding also from talking to other air gunners and from reading threads online that there are quality issues with BSA. Quality is not there since involvement with Gamo. With PCP's there are issues with O rings having to be replaced. I have just shyed away from the purchase of a BSA R10 MKII because of these quality issues. There also seems to be a supply issues at the moment with certain BSA lines.

Check out the following also concerning issues with the moderator on the R10 MK11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Pwgyef7ys

rowa wrote: »
    Whats the quality of the bsa's like though ? I was talking to a guy who had a new one and it had to be sent back to bsa three times for repairs before it was sorted. I know the production was moved back from gamo in spain to birmingham last year , made any difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

I have a gamo whisper. Use it about twice a week clean it and take care of it and it has never given me a problem in over a year. Had trouble in the past with scopes with crosshairs moving, until I bought a gamo 4x20. Perfect now

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

marcp wrote: »
    I have a gamo whisper. Use it about twice a week clean it and take care of it and it has never given me a problem in over a year. Had trouble in the past with scopes with crosshairs moving, until I bought a gamo 4x20. Perfect now

Good to hear something positive about the gamo whisper. I'll be picking my one up in the next few weeks and i cant wait to start using it. Ive read a lot of mixed comments about them so as i said its good to hear some positive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Cheers for the replies. I recon ill stick with a .177 break barrell. I'm putting off purchase till late this year/early next year as I've another project that's taking priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Not sure a PCP is a good choice for a beginner. ? What about charging it and having to buy a pump +/- a cylinder.
    Gamo and BSA ( now made in Turkey ) are considered the budget end of the market.I'd look at a Weihrauch or Air Arms.Remember its a major hassle to get an airgun in this country so the 'buy once and buy the best' rule tends to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rowa wrote: »

Only had the one BSA scope, one of the bigger models, and it was sh!te. Never touch them again.

I have all Bushnell scopes and NEVER had any trouble with them. I have 5 now

Just spotted what appears to be a HW77 in .22 in the used guns section of the Lakelands site. They've a tag of €450 up beside it which isn't a bad price if it is what it appears to be.

Well worth having a look at I'd say - crackin' rifle that one and ideal for the purpose outlined in the OP. ;)

Well spotted extremetaz is it not a 97 model though. Guy i know bought one new there ordinary stock round 500 ster had alot probs with it diesel n i think was the phrase he used half a dozen shots bang on then would n hit the board eventually left it back bought a R10MkII timeil tell if its any better than the first one.

loveta wrote: »
    Well spotted extremetaz is it not a 97 model though. Guy i know bought one new there ordinary stock round 500 ster had alot probs with it diesel n i think was the phrase he used half a dozen shots bang on then would n hit the board eventually left it back bought a R10MkII timeil tell if its any better than the first one.

Dieseling is down to using either the wrong oil, or excessive oil, on either the barrel or the pellets - it's not a problem with the rifle itself.

In most cases you're better off just using the pellets dry, and running a few patches through the barrel after oiling.

Could be the '97 now that you mention it (higher cheekpiece) - exactly the same mechanism and performance between them in any case, although if it's a '97 then it'll have an integral silencer as well.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Dieseling is down to using either the wrong oil, or excessive oil, on either the barrel or the pellets - it's not a problem with the rifle itself.

In most cases you're better off just using the pellets dry, and running a few patches through the barrel after oiling.

Could be the '97 now that you mention it (higher cheekpiece) - exactly the same mechanism and performance between them in any case, although if it's a '97 then it'll have an integral silencer as well.

Ok. he did not mention anything about using oil but then i did not ask either. Found the trigger very heavy though compaired to the hw100 but now i find every trigger heavy to it now :0I

loveta wrote: »
    Found the trigger very heavy though compaired to the hw100 but now i find every trigger heavy to it now :0I

lol - yeah, the '100 does that to you. :p

but you're correct, the pull and feel of the triggers on the HW springers/rams is way heavier, but the bigger issue is that it doesn't break nearly as cleanly or consistently as the trigger on the '100.

Pretty much all comes down to what I said earlier. The '100 is a hell of a lot easier to shoot, but the others aren't any less effective in the right hands. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Audioslave82

I bought a new BSA scorpion T10 although id really wanted an air arms 510 but im delighted with the scorpion the hw range are great but pricey. For what the OP requires most pcps would be fine. Read reviews etc and ive seen the video you mentioned, looks like great fun.

*ANY* PCP would be fine (excepting olympics of course...) but they're a good deal more expensive.

the OP was asking about break barrel rifles.

Advertisement