Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple "Overstock"

• 26-12-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

I assume this is a scam right away,just wanted to see if anyone else got this text this morning. Came from the number +17138155092. Saying I have been tabbed as Apple's Over-Stock iwinner.

Go to http://ie.appleoverstock.cc and type in a code to get a free product.

I wonder where 1. They get my number,I'm fairly safe about giving it out,unless some 3rd party are passing it on and 2. What they get out of this site, do they want your address or what? I havn't entered a code,perhaps they will ask for a credit card or something if I do.

Anyway was just curious if anyone else got the text.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I always work under the rule that if I didn't enter a competition, I can't win it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

The wife got it about an hour ago....again not too sure where they got her number...we just deleted it straight away....Apple and overstocking in the same sentence along with the word "free" = scam

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

tvnutz wrote: »
    I assume this is a scam right away,just wanted to see if anyone else got this text this morning. Came from the number +17138155092. Saying I have been tabbed as Apple's Over-Stock iwinner.

I wonder where 1. They get my number,I'm fairly safe about giving it out,unless some 3rd party are passing it on and 2. What they get out of this site, do they want your address or what? I havn't entered a code,perhaps they will ask for a credit card or something if I do.

Got the same text at 0714 this morning.

I haven't linked onto the link thinking it is a scam.

Has anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's a scam. Redirects you to ziinga.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ah so I wasn't the only one,ye figured out it was a scam fairly quickly,not goin to even enter the code.

Mainly just wondering where they got my number,or do these people just enter random numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Don't tell me Disney has sold our numbers already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056798916

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Any other business

Ya guys myself and my dad got these texts also. The only thing we have in common lately with our apple devices are viber registrations where we've both given our mobile numbers. Wonder are viber selling our nos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pollars4

I got one just there, I'm not an apple customer or anything, don't have any apple products. Just going to delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dinkydee

Got this message yesterday, looks suspect so forwarding it to Vodafone scam notification at 50005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Don't tell me Disney has sold our numbers already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056798916

umm..guys.. I was only joking earlier, but as of now, 7/7 phones that I sent a call from mickey mouse have gotten this message!

Did Disney sell our details again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 trish vixens

these guys sent us a text from 1631 no and gave an offer code telling me we won an i pad scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

I got this "overstock" text from a +1(631) number aswell, straight away delete.

I'd imagine they automatically generate the 10 digit phone numbers 1 digit at a time or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trish vixens

ya we bayght apple prods and used this no as contact no ya you cant win a comp you didnt enter im so stupid thanks for the feedback happy new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

My mam also got this text this morning, like you OP she wouldnt really be giving out her number, neither would she be enterting any competitions ect so no idea where they would have got her number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

+1 6314286613 texted me on xmas day at 08:50
    Happy Holidays! You were anonymously slected to win a Apple iPad 3. Just signup at http://ca.holidaywinner.cc & type in your prize coe ****
    A quick Google confirmed that it was fake, and when I entered in a random number, it said that I had "won", and redirected to ziinga.com

I never signed up for the disney thing, but I'm guessing as it was from the USA, they used an automated system to send texts to everyone between two numbers.

=-=

It was a well targeted campaign, imo, though very cold hearted. People will be in full "bargain hunting" mode today, and yesterday they may actually think that they won something on xmas day.

I'd wonder what consumer watchdog would be best to moan to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ellamm

I got this text earlier, I also am extremely cautious about where I put my #. Not a chance I'd be going anywhere near their website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Saw it on Twitter
    If you get this SMS, screenshot it and forward to reportphishing@apple.com http://t.co/gO4r1i8n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

just got a text from +16465152381 a few minutes ago....quick google search and this thread on boards was the 5th search result....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I got the same message but with a different number +13023974788

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Just literally got this text now as well, except from a +1 (713)815... number....thankfully all I had to do was quickly google and come on here to see its fake.

I might try forwarding the screenshot to the email address mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 topofthepots

i got same message from 17138155125 30 mins ago.....im a little gutted its a scam>>the only thing we get for free in this world is advice on boards>ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kieranirish

. I got the same thing today and
    I reckon that you tried to buy something on donedeal ! I've seen a few adds that are just fishing for phone numbers Ie: when you ring it's not answered .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 athol

I received a text from the same number +17138155092 asking me to sign up at appleoverstock.cc for a free ipad. What a load of rubbish this is a Scam don't even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kieranirish

Did you try and ring a number for an add on donedeal lately but no answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tomasdeb

Same thing here - but from +16314286371.
    Wonder what they are trying to achieve...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

tomasdeb wrote: »
    Same thing here - but from +16314286371.
    Wonder what they are trying to achieve...

Not sure if this is correct, but if they get a confirmation to the text ie inputting the number, they will know that there is a real phone to send premium texts to.

Another point could be referring to a nefarious website to plant a virus. I'd say that this is less likely. Maybe wrong, but I can't think why else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A-Train

Just got one of these telling me I won an apple tv! As been said never entered any completions so odd that I won something!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Same text here... didnt enter that disney thing on BA, so i reckon its number harvesting from done deal... its the only place i have my ex-directory number!

It make a change from all the AIB and Bank of Ireland Scam texts i normally get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Got this earlier. Absolutely baffled where they got my number, I honestly can't remember putting it in anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 TonyMiggs

I just got a text from +16314286521 saying i won a FREE iphone. I was to go online and enter the code they gave me. I ignored it. As my Maths teacher used to say. There is no such thing as a free meal.

Advertisement