Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple "Overstock"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

. I got the same thing today and
    I reckon that you tried to buy something on donedeal ! I've seen a few adds that are just fishing for phone numbers Ie: when you ring it's not answered .

Never used done deal.

However, I don't think it's random as it appears that the text is directed towards iPhone users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ads20101 wrote: »
    Never used done deal.

However, I don't think it's random as it appears that the text is directed towards iPhone users

Nope, Nokia Lumia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I use a blackberry my dad use's a basic nokia and we both won!!! I'd guess the numbers are randomly generated.
    I'll be passing through the city centre tomorrow and am tempted to use an internet cafe's pc to claim my prize and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KateNolan96

ads20101 wrote: »
    Never used done deal.

I have a blackberry and I just got that text but yes I think it's a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Got this msg on my iphone today. Dont even know what donedeal is! so I figure its random generation. Pretty sneaky on St Stephens Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

Jus got it
    Thank god i dnt hav a few beers in me,havent a clue where dey got my num....

Well im lying i do have a couple in me but not enough to fall for the scam...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My o/h just got this on her phone. From +17138155126

My niece played the "free" nemo game xmas day and i just got a €21 bill from apple???!!!she was on it for 10 mins max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Just got one of these texts. Saying I won an iPad. My number is not on donedeal or Disney or anywhere else mentioned on this thread! Strange..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got a text this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The only place I can recall giving my number to is Parcel Motel, but that feels like a longshot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 deadsoul

Just got one from +16314286608 sent at 2.54am . Scam Scam .

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

i got same message from 17138155125 30 mins ago.....im a little gutted its a scam>>the only thing we get for free in this world is advice on boards>ie

And consider yourself lucky for that. The scam is being sent from the most easterly point of Long Island, Suffolk county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mollcarroll

I also got this txt this morning and went on to put my email address in to the ziinge website. What do I do now???? Am I gonna get loads of rubbish emails and get charged for txts I don't want :( help?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Apple offer arrived overnight & thanks OP for posting post good to confirm all a con.... & I've no apple products no idea how they got my phone details??? 8-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

I also woke this morning with the text on my phone from +16314286552 saying l won a Macbook Pro.
    I knew it wasn't real but googled the web address and it is Ziinga.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Howsitgoin?

I got this text this morning and I stupidly went ahead and followed the link and entered the code. I got redirected to Ziinga.com. Do you think my phone will have been hacked or anything??? Don't know what to do now I'm nervous👀

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

got the txt as well and a scan on google reveals it very much scam all right. Have a read here

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Pat Kenny Radio 1 was talking about it this am but the poor fellow was clueless. Thanks everyone on Boards.ie for all the good quality information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

My father received it on the phone that was given to him by the company. There aren't many people who know this number (all within the company). Must be random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭touts

The operators (vodafone o2 etc) have to be stricter on detecting and shutting down mass scam texts. How hard can it be to realise one or two numbers are suddenly sending out tens of thousands of texts even if they originate overseas. Sure the first few might slip through but there must be a system to detect and block this but there is no incentive to make the operators take action. If they were fined €100 for every spam text they left through I'll bet the technology would suddenly be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 greenergrass

I got this message this morning but, rather strangely, I got the message on my 3 broadband modem?? I never give the number out for the modem as I don't actually know what it is!! The only messages I ever receive on the modem are from 3, usually just advising if I'm nearing the limit for my data allowance or telling me about some offer they have for soccer tickets. Makes me think this scam might be something to do with 3, otherwise where would they have got the number?? Message came from +13023843467

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

tvnutz wrote: »
    I assume this is a scam right away,just wanted to see if anyone else got this text this morning. Came from the number +17138155092. Saying I have been tabbed as Apple's Over-Stock iwinner.

Go to http://ie.appleoverstock.cc and type in a code to get a free product.

I wonder where 1. They get my number,I'm fairly safe about giving it out,unless some 3rd party are passing it on and 2. What they get out of this site, do they want your address or what? I havn't entered a code,perhaps they will ask for a credit card or something if I do.

Anyway was just curious if anyone else got the text.

Could have got your number from any number of places. Many companies sell your info onto there company's.

Company's like Facebook used to sell your info and allow your info to be seen by company's. Even if you use your phone to access Facebook and you've not got your privacy settings set to private.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sparky03

I also got a scam message to the inbox of my 3 national broadband scheme number.

from +17138155151 @ 03:27:24, 27/12/2012

You were randomly picked as Apple's OverStock iwinner! Go to http://ie.appleoverstock.cc/ and submit code 3577 to receive your "Free iTouch now" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oisin88

touts wrote: »
    The operators (vodafone o2 etc) have to be stricter on detecting and shutting down mass scam texts. How hard can it be to realise one or two numbers are suddenly sending out tens of thousands of texts even if they originate overseas. Sure the first few might slip through but there must be a system to detect and block this but there is no incentive to make the operators take action. If they were fined €100 for every spam text they left through I'll bet the technology would suddenly be implemented.

I wonder does this scam get around things a bit, because everyone seems to be getting the message from different numbers. I got the message just now on a pay as you go I rarely use from +17138155211 which from an Internet search seems to be a Texas number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TECHNICALTOM

This type of thing is now part and parcel of the new age of comunications for all, and I doubt the likes of Vodaphone ETC , are going to do anything about it,directly or indirectly as they will probably make money from it !!.
    The amount of junk on E Mail seems to be never ending , I personaly have been offered billions of Pounds /Dollars /Euros, from Nigeria, then endless " Enhancers " from Canadian Pharmacys, not forgetting Russian brides and beautiful Asian girls, the list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kinsailor

Checked originating number and there are multiple similar reports from the US : link redirects you to another site : ziinga.com ( note - not zinga.com).... stay well away from it.

Like you I have been wondering where they got the phone info ??

(only satisfaction for me is that originating text number was in the US so at least it cost them a wasted international text to contact us ! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭ishidaogo

DELETE! Also got one from 1631 4286600

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Why are so many wondering where they got the numbers from ??

It's pretty easy to send bulk texts to all numbers between 087 1xx xxxx and 087 9xx xxxx. It doesn't mean I got your number from someone.

Advertisement