Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple "Overstock"

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

We were warned back in August by Diasporia.ie about this scam and Ziinga tactic of using apple products as bait.

Apple.ie Ziinga - Don't get caught! - The Irish Diaspora

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

who would have thought that Joe Lewis and George Soros http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cc would be sending us all christmas texts.......anyone know the O2 report a scam text number???
    Is 50455.....had an interesting chat with Mickey on Ziinga chat live and he apolgised for the malicious and evil text which had been sent which had (of course) nothing to do with them...my response was short and not sweet....what an awful job that poor farker has

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tinyh

Hi tvnutz,

Yes, I've just got one too and stupidly typed in the code whereupon I was told that an error had occurred!

I don't know what they hope to get from this but will keep you posted.

Tinyh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

May I ask if yous are 083/085/086/087/089?

Because I think the messages are sent by random to a list of numbers.

eg.

0860000000 - 0869999999

Because different people put up their numbers in different places, and some not at all, so I'm guessing this is how it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

these texts have landed in O2 and voda that I know of so presumably all the rest too.....the claim in the text is that they are randomly generated but who knows....it does seem costly to fire off 10m texts which is what you would have to do to cover the spread you mention......if they are a .cc which is a small island off australia which eNic seem to own (digitally anyway), the source cost would be tiny but carriers would charge so there would be bills to pay....presumably by Ziinga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Got the message, as did my mother. Pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Charging you premium rates for the reply maybe. Check your account!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheRebelRam

We were warned back in August by Diasporia.ie about this scam and Ziinga tactic of using apple products as bait.

Apple.ie Ziinga - Don't get caught! - The Irish Diaspora

Thanks for the info. Just got the text. Obv scam, googled to get what info I had to see how much if a scam it was. Surely terms and conditions like this cannot be upheld by any judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 1madchef

tvnutz wrote: »
    I assume this is a scam right away,just wanted to see if anyone else got this text this morning. Came from the number +17138155092. Saying I have been tabbed as Apple's Over-Stock iwinner.

Go to http://ie.appleoverstock.cc and type in a code to get a free product.

I wonder where 1. They get my number,I'm fairly safe about giving it out,unless some 3rd party are passing it on and 2. What they get out of this site, do they want your address or what? I havn't entered a code,perhaps they will ask for a credit card or something if I do.

Anyway was just curious if anyone else got the text.
    Yeah I've gotten the same message just now must be a scam but I don't know really... And I also would love to know where they got my number

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If anyone clicked this link on there phone I would advise you change your online paswords for your mobile provider ,

The other half got one months ago and clicked it , anyway it gave them access to her online vodafone account which they proceeded to send thousands of text message from , she had people ringing her up morning , noon , and night to see where there flowers were !!!

Got a savage bill from vodafone which after much arguing was cancelled ( I notified them straight away and they told me not to worry about it)

I dont know where they made money from it , as it was all normal numbers that they texted and no premium rate ones , either way it was dam annoying !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't see why the Mobile Operators/ISP can't block this. Its variations of the same message and link about a billion times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nickybaby

I got text message saying that i won an apple table , i visit the website and it is called Ziinga.com , any way it look doggy , it suppose to be a biting site .Now my question is how and iPad that cost 420 euros it bit at 20 euro ? :confused:
    Does anyone hear about this company !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 foley_b

I got 2 texts, one yesterday and 1 this morning. I knew I couldn't be that lucky:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dad got this on Vodafone/GS2, never had an Apple device.. I'm on Tesco Mobile and not received one yet... I wonder are they random?

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Got one earlier, as soon as you get an anonymous text telling you you've won something it definitely a scam. Facking wunkers and their stupid scams, I hope they all catch scabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I got one earlier aswell :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I feel left out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I replied via text to them, told them to F off. After reading this, hope my bill ain't high now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I replied via text to them, told them to F off. After reading this, hope my bill ain't high now!!!

Damn tempting and I expect quite satisfying but maybe not the wisest of moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Got it this morning on work phone too.... number is out there in public so no surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sigle

I got a text about it too. Luckily my computer has the site blocked. It is a scam and diverts you to an auction site....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Got the text for two days running, both times around 6am (there goes my lie in!). Deleated the texts almost straight away but I did notice before I deleated the second one that it was in imessage format eg the reply box said imessage and the send icon was blue. I am using an iphone with vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The dad got one today and he thinks it was the real deal and he had just one a free macbook pro

He called me right after he got it and i told him it was a scam

He got it on emobile so i am thinking its for sure random numbers they are txting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Here are some screenshots:

397710_4240921656610_1178848478_n.jpg

282849_10151216713696305_538260690_n.jpg

The first was from three days ago, the second two. They have added a new domain ioverstock.cc

A quick check of the registrar records shows this is the registrant for both domains:

Domain name: appleoverstock.cc

Registrant Contact:

Samir Kocchar ()
    +91.9099288233
    Fax: +1.5555555555
    F32 Ramdev Nagar
    Kamatipura
    Baroda, gujarat 390009
    IN

What is also troubling:

Reverse Whois: "Samir Kocchar" owns 87 other domains.

That means this fake person with a fake email address has 87 domains in total from which to run this scam.

The first website appleoverstock.com is being hosted on Cloudfare:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: appleoverstock.cc
    Addresses: 141.101.124.218

inetnum: 141.101.125.0 - 141.101.125.255
    netname: CLOUDFLARE-EU

The second ioverstock.cc is being hosted on Sentrex:

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: ioverstock.cc
    Address: 46.166.174.34

inetnum: 46.166.174.0 - 46.166.175.255
    netname: SANTREX-INTERNET-SERVICES

I have contacted both companies and registered an abuse complaint. We now wait for them to shut down those sites. That being said the scammers seem to have another 85 domains ready to go so it will be a virtual game of wack-a-mole. Of course, each go does cost the scammer at least about €30 for the domain registration and website hosting so that is some comfort. It really depends on how many people fall for the scam versus how many we can have shut down before it cuts into his profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tinyh

I'm an 086 number

Tinyh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Got the message today. Really cautious with giving my number out. Just wondering where they're getting the numbers from? I'm with Meteor. Is it a Network thing or maybe info from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

What's with the big worry over the numbers. It has to be random. People on different networks with or without an apple device are getting them with little to none common factors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I suspect there is no 'list'. They are paying a company in America to mass text a block of numbers. Henceforth why the texts are coming from America.

They have some similar services here in Ireland, but America is very lax in regards to spam, especially on phones. You can pay a company a few cents per number to send a text. You provide them with the list of numbers.

For example, they could start at 085-111-1111 and increment each number 085-111-1112, 085-111-1113, etc. and send out mass texts in this manner. They could hit pretty much every number on the 085, 086, and 087 network for a few hundred American dollars, which would be nothing.

There is also another easy way to get a list. Our government actually created a list that many scammers use. You know that national do not call list our government created? All businesses who engage in telemarketing are given that list with all the numbers they are not supposed to ring. By default I think most mobiles are added to that list, and you have to specify if you WANT to be removed so telemarketers CAN call you, however, scammers just use the list as a starting point of who to spam.

Either way, the rumours swirling around here in this thread about Apple or a phone provider giving up these numbers is pure silly. They are going out to all three major networks and many to non-Apple devices. There are many ways to get numbers, and in today's age it is not impossible to just spam EVERY number sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jev/N wrote: »
    I feel left out :(

I feel left out too :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement