Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel motel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

i seen one at the texaco down the docks, its supposed to be a pretty good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've not used it, but it sounds brilliant: E3.50 is less than the bus-fare to the An Post depot, and their pickup locations are open 24x7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Also handy avoiding Irish prices and 23% vat when using this service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

dev100 wrote: »
    Also handy avoiding Irish prices and 23% vat when using this service :)

"I don't say evasion, I say avoision"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Eviledna wrote: »
    "I don't say evasion, I say avoision"

I wonder how long will it take for them to try and close this little loop-hole generally uk sites charge more when selling to an Irish customer than a uk customer . Then our government get their pound of flesh of it .

Long may it last :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

know one person who used it couple times, handy to know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've used it once so far. Just did a test from a UK ebay item which offered free shipping within the UK. I had mine sent to the Newcastle one as I was very curious to see the lockers in person. However, due to a technical malfunction they delivered it to my door for free. I have one more free credit to check it out. Hopefully they've fixed whatever problem they had at Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

newkie wrote: »
    I've used it once so far. Just did a test from a UK ebay item which offered free shipping within the UK. I had mine sent to the Newcastle one as I was very curious to see the lockers in person. However, due to a technical malfunction they delivered it to my door for free. I have one more free credit to check it out. Hopefully they've fixed whatever problem they had at Newcastle.
    I ordered an item last week and chose Newcastle. They called me when the parcel was in Belfast and said could they send it to college road as Newcastle wasn't set up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Newcastle wasn't listed on their website when I looked at it yesterday, just College Rd and Lough Atalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I used the one at the Texaco near the docks the other day without a hitch. Really convenient setup, I'll be using them again. First two stays are free too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Tried out the Parcel Motel located at College Road Topaz (Its around the back near the Car Wash) , touchscreen calibration was a bit off took me a while to input my phone number but otherwise quiet happy, delivery from UK was fast, will use again for sure.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Didn't know there were any in Galway. Thank you guys!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Didn't know there were any in Galway. Thank you guys!
    I've been harping on about it for a month in the Bargains thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055485086&page=28
    I've never been so offended to be unnoticed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Delighted to know this is now in Galway! Many thanks for sharing!

Just placed 2 more orders which otherwise wouldn't have shipped to Ireland. Hopefully my default, Newcastle Rd., is up and running again.

I'm very curious to see the size of the locker in person as the additional cost for being caught with an oversize parcel is €10. As Amazon, Dabs, and many others have been guilty of sending huge boxes containing a small item I'm quite aware of being stuck with a surprise bill eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

newkie wrote: »
    Just placed 2 more orders which otherwise wouldn't have shipped to Ireland. Hopefully my default, Newcastle Rd., is up and running again.

I'm very curious to see the size of the locker in person as the additional cost for being caught with an oversize parcel is €10. As Amazon, Dabs, and many others have been guilty of sending huge boxes containing a small item I'm quite aware of being stuck with a surprise bill eventually.

True actually. Amazon do tend to send larger boxes. I wonder could you request they send it in a smaller box? Or a plastic envelope or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

Hi all ,

I've ordered a few packages recently all of different sizes. I had Newcastle as my default address but there seems to be an ongoing problem with that site so there were redirected kindly to collage road for no extra charge!

Anyway to answer the question above, the lockers are all of different sizes because I had some large packages and some smaller ones and there was plenty of room in the lockers , they seem quite deep inside even the smaller ones.

Hope that Helps!

It's a fantastic service and one I will use a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ooh, I wish I knew this last night. Went shopping and settled with an irish site as it was a big enough item.

And its fantastic they have places in Galway now.

Can anyone explain how it works? Do you enter a different address as your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Yeah. It would be:
    Your Name and ID number
    Parcel Motel's address in Dublin

or

Your Name and ID number
    Parcel Motel's northern address (for items that can only be delivered to UK addresses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

You enter one of two address depending on whether the seller ships to Ireland or not. You only add your own name and your Parcel Motel ID in the address and it will be redirected to your default locker.

Use this address for most deliveries:

"Your Name"
    "PMID"
    Parcel Motel
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Finglas East
    Dublin 11
    Ireland

Use this address when shopping on sites that delivery to the UK only or offer free UK Delivery:

"Your Name"
    "PMID"
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

zarquon wrote: »
    You enter one of two address depending on whether the seller ships to Ireland or not. You only add your own name and your Parcel Motel ID in the address and it will be redirected to your default locker.

Use this address for most deliveries:

"Your Name"
    "PMID"
    Parcel Motel
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Finglas East
    Dublin 11
    Ireland

Use this address when shopping on sites that delivery to the UK only or offer free UK Delivery:

"Your Name"
    "PMID"
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

I think it's a great service and will use the Northern Ireland service but I have a question.:D

If the seller will post to Ireland and allows you to use the Finglas address,why would you bother sending it there and paying the 3.50 rather than sending it to your own house?Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

I think it's a great service and will use the Northern Ireland service but I have a question.:D

If the seller will post to Ireland and allows you to use the Finglas address,why would you bother sending it there and paying the 3.50 rather than sending it to your own house?Is there something I'm missing?

I think the main point of it is to facilitate people who would not be at home during day to receive parcels, and therefore would have to go to the An Post collection depot on Tuam Road during working hours which might not suit. The parcel motel is a 24/7 storage facility so you can collect in evenings/at weekend or it will be there if you're away.

I ordered an electrical item from amazon during the week, the postage would have been £40stg (one of those sellers who seems to discourage ordering from outside UK, by charging very high delivery to here) to Ireland so used N.I. address, was delivered to Parcel Motel N.I. yesterday and got text first thing this morning saying its in Galway now so will collect later and see if all worked ok,fingers crossed! Was one of my free uses too so cost me nothing this time

Just a head's up: Newcastle still seems to be having problems. Instead of free home delivery, this time they re-routed it to the College Rd locker. However, the stay was comp'ed.

I also just looked up how long can a parcel stay in a locker:
    One stay equals one parcel in a motel for 2 nights (48 hours) if your parcel stays more than 48 hours, you will be charged €3.50 for each additional 48 hours or part thereof.

I had planned on waiting until Monday, but guess I better get there sometime tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kerrywoman1

I found when i used them it was great that i could pick up my parcel on my way home from work. As i travel for work it is great that someone does not have to be ther to wait for deliveries etc. The 3.50 is great value especially fro uk items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Already used them once as well, with a site tht charged 5,95 pounds for UK delivery and 19.99 for Ireland ;) I also have the Newcastle one selected and they delivered it to my work address free of charge.

Even from other places the difference between UK and Irish shipping is often well worth it, usually way higher than 3,50. The pickup thing is also handy. Reminds me of the Amazon pickup machines they have in the US.

I hope they get that motel running again soon though. The others aren't near my work route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Good service, ill definitely be using it again.

My concern was that the lockers would be easily tampered but the units are built like tanks, even the touchscreen seems to be an inch thick. I doubt even a gallon of petrol would do any damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Krieg wrote: »
    My concern was that the lockers would be easily tampered but the units are built like tanks, even the touchscreen seems to be an inch thick. I doubt even a gallon of petrol would do any damage.

Nevertheless I would prefer if you don't try it. I like my parcels uncooked. ;)

The good thing about these is that they're all at petrol stations that are staffed 24x7 so I hope that helps prevent vandalism. Edit: Sorry, they're not all open 24x7 so, I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

College Road Topaz is not open 24 hours

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

The petrol station in collage road is not open 24 hours but the parcel motel is around the back by the car wash. I've gone there late at night (doing shift work) and the area is fully light with CCTV!

Advertisement