Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet in rented apartment

Options
  • 26-12-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all I need some help with rental agreement rules.

In my contract it states:
    "No livestock whatsoever"

There are no mention about pets ie. Dogs or cats in agreement. Only "house rules" on bulletin board in hallway says no pets.

Can I have a dog or does that no livestock in contract rule that out?

I have tried to contact my landlord, but no reply from him to my query.

Happy holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Is it an apartment complex? If so then the house rules are most likely written into the landlords terms that they as homeowners in the complex must abide by. If in doubt contact the management agent (details probably on the house rules) and check, or your landlord.

If in doubt assume you are not allowed pets (aside from small ones such as fish, hamsters etc) as most complexes and most landlords will forbid them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

'No livestock whatsoever'- unless you're in a rural setting, would be read as absolutely no pets of any nature whatsoever. There is no way on earth a dog would be excluded under this clause. Contact your landlord and see if he/she is willing to make an exception- however if its a managed unit with a management company- its probably written into the landlord's own lease, so its not a waiver he or she may not be able to give.

Another point to consider- if you make an exception for one person- its a free-for-all with everyone else- something innocuous that wasn't apparent (some fish or something) might be a way of keeping under the radar- a dog, definitely not.

Advertisement