Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what printer server

Options
  • 26-12-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

While server is in the name, it isn't exactly a server product so sticking this here.

I'm looking for a printer server so i can stick the printer away from the Mac Pro. I'd be putting it beside a wired ethernet connection so dont need any wireless gizmos to fail on me.

Half thinking of a second hand airport express so it plays well, but open to anything else either. Budget is about €50.

Are the old airport express units any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what sort of printer is it?

there's a handy little tp-link one on amazon that gets good reviews and is cheap enough and ticks all the usual boxes (works with MFP's and displays ink levels etc.) that i actually fancy myself: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PS310U-Single-USB2-0-Storage/dp/B002LB8XFK

it's only got a single USB port, but it even works with a USB hub so you can add extra devices (USB drives etc.) to it later on if you want.

EDIT: actually, not sure if it would play well with macs or not, doesn't look like it comes with mac or linux software?

EDIT EDIT: although it does look like tp-link give you instructions on how to configure it manually: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=347

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

vibe666 wrote: »
    what sort of printer is it?

there's a handy little tp-link one on amazon that gets good reviews and is cheap enough and ticks all the usual boxes (works with MFP's and displays ink levels etc.) that i actually fancy myself: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PS310U-Single-USB2-0-Storage/dp/B002LB8XFK

it's only got a single USB port, but it even works with a USB hub so you can add extra devices (USB drives etc.) to it later on if you want.

EDIT: actually, not sure if it would play well with macs or not, doesn't look like it comes with mac or linux software?

Saw that one and the mac thing was an issue. They do have mac software on their site though so I'm not sure.

it's a canon mp530

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

alexlyons wrote: »
    Saw that one and the mac thing was an issue. They do have mac software on their site though so I'm not sure.

it's a canon mp530

Once the printer has Mac drivers that print server should work fine

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

yoyo wrote: »

Once the printer has Mac drivers that print server should work fine

Nick

Sorry for doubting, but are you sure? How do you know?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

All you need to configure the print server is a web browser,

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement