Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potholes

Options
  • 26-12-2012 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

What is happeneing to our roads? Drove over the bridge from Sexes Road yesterday, and from the roundabout outside to college up to the bridge, is a disgrace.

All well and good for KCC to come along crying 'lack of funds' due to ( guessing) non payment of the HHC, but where did the money come from in the past for these essential works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Development levies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Ireland has 22 metres of road per person which is abnormally high (the only countries with similar levels are those that have huge wildernesses like Canada or Norway). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_road_network_size We just don't pay enough tax to keep Irish roads well-surfaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

No offence, but where did the money come from in the past? Whether we have more cars/road tax/VAT on fuel sales etc is not the point, here is a road literally disintegrating before our eyes, and KCC don't seem to be bothered to repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

At the exit from the Aldi warehouse in the Newbridge side of Naas, there is an absolute monster of a pothole that's been there for weeks now. I've seen so many people going into it I can only image the business its sending the way of the tyre companies.
    It's only a matter of time before someone has a big blow-out on the motorway after damaging a tyre/wheel on one of these.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

In Naas, the wasted a heap of money putting lights up at the fairgreen and increasing the path area. Terrible patches on the Rathangan road aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

Potholes are being repaired in Maynooth

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    No offence, but where did the money come from in the past? Whether we have more cars/road tax/VAT on fuel sales etc is not the point, here is a road literally disintegrating before our eyes, and KCC don't seem to be bothered to repair it.

...development levies.

All councils funded themselves from these during the property boom. They now get very little.

Councillor wrote: »

Nice of a cllr. to come along and claim the potholes in Maynooth are being repaired.

Is there different budgets for Nth. Kildare as against Sth. Kildare?

Thanks MYOB for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What is happeneing to our roads? Drove over the bridge from Sexes Road yesterday, and from the roundabout outside to college up to the bridge, is a disgrace.

All well and good for KCC to come along crying 'lack of funds' due to ( guessing) non payment of the HHC, but where did the money come from in the past for these essential works?

Check this and then compare with past years

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Publications/Budgets/Budget2012/AdoptedBudget2012.pdf

Another factor can be how active the local councillors are.

Nice of a cllr. to come along and claim the potholes in Maynooth are being repaired.

Is there different budgets for Nth. Kildare as against Sth. Kildare?

Thanks MYOB for the feedback!

Councillors have a (small) amount of discretionary funding which can sometimes be the reason as to why certain areas get work done.

North Kildare has higher density of popular than the south of the county and hence would have more councillors (as well as more rates income, etc, should the council be working on a who-pays-gets basis - but I'm not sure they do) for the area covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Councillor wrote: »

Hi Councillor - would you care to identify yourself? If you're an elected rep as you've implied in this post surely you'd be better served if we knew who you are.

I suggest that you ask the Naas Councillors to put pressure on the Council to repair the potholes. Pressure gets results. I did not join the Boards to get votes. I just want to be of assistance.

Sorry I forgot to address the points raised by MYOB. Even though 75% of the Councils Rates are raised in the Celbtridge Electoral Area they are used to fund the whole county and we dont get any more than our proportional share. Unfortunately, there has been no Discretional Funding for Councillors for the last 3 years because of the shortage of funds.

Whatever about the potholes last year, the CC ( or whoever) came along and ( I am no expert, so can only guess) threw loose tarmacadam over a pothole, and slapped the mound with the head of a shovel.

One only has to drive down Sexes Road over the humpbacked bridge from Sarsfields, and the road on the college side is an absolute disgrace, and an embarassment. Now I see 2 major PH's outside Tesco's and notice also the complete deterioration right across the town.

Cllr., who do we complaint to now, as I would surmise the PH's are so spread out they cannot be under the remit of one Cllr. in particular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Yeah I've noticed way more potholes around Maynooth/Celbridge lately. I'm used to that coming from the back end of nowhere but lately the roads here are getting as bad.

They're pretty bad around Naas too.

beertons wrote: »

What bothers me is this: I am one of those refusing to pay the HHC/PT. On another thread the 'do-gooders' were cmplaining that these ( among other issues) road conditions would suffer because of thos who refuse to pay the HHC/PT. My argument is, and will always be, 'Well, what the hell do we pay road tax for'?

I have visitors coming from overseas next week, and am embarassed to bring them to my house.

Oh hai wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed way more potholes around Maynooth/Celbridge lately. I'm used to that coming from the back end of nowhere but lately the roads here are getting as bad.

Councillor? You said they were being fixed around Maynooth, wha's happening now?

They call it car tax now. Nothing to do with the upkeep of the roads. So they say. They filled 2 holes up the top of my estate last week, was in the leinster leader that numerous cars got 2 punctures from it. There is still a massive one on the sallins road, and a crater outside the aldi distribution center. I use the rathangan road daily, and it's like dodging landmines going though blacktrench/clongorey. They shoveled a bit of crap on it, didn't roll it. Sure it's worse than ever.

I may or may not be right about the car tax thing.

Le Dieux.
    I suggest that you contact any of your Naas Area Councillors. Their contacts are on the Council web site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Yeah the roads are in sh1te everywhere. Back roads, main roads nearly all roads. I just seem to think that for some reason the roads around Kildare are far worse then are neighbouring Counties :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Our Road tax.

And I agree, the roads are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hi everyone, as you may know - a KCC roads worker tragically died on a project near Maynooth last month. The Health & Safety Authority served the Council with an Improvement Notice, which essentially put a halt to all roadworks throughout the county. Many roads are in a very poor state of repair, but the workers have not been allowed out on to the roads to do anything about it. This is not a tax or household charge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Hi everyone, as you may know - a KCC roads worker tragically died on a project near Maynooth last month. The Health & Safety Authority served the Council with an Improvement Notice, which essentially put a halt to all roadworks throughout the county. Many roads are in a very poor state of repair, but the workers have not been allowed out on to the roads to do anything about it. This is not a tax or household charge issue.

The roads were in a bad state before the accident happened.

beertons wrote: »

Drove up to renew my license this morning, outside the Aldi shop is like moon surface.

Sincerely sorry to learn of the death of a KCC worker.

But now what? While the repair work is halted the roads are deteriorating almost before our eyes. What will it take for someone to get off their butt and see just how bad these roads are?

Truly shocking state of our roads now!

It is terrible that the worker died, but at the end of the day, not to be heartless, but, the wheel keeps turning.

So, the unfortunate passing of one person means all of our roads go to ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

An Improvement Notice would not shut down any current roadworks - a Prohibition Notice would.

I doubt all road work has ceased.

Maybe if some of the 'do badders' paid up there would be more money in the kitty to repair the roads.

An Improvement Notice would not shut down any current roadworks - a Prohibition Notice would.

I doubt all road work has ceased.

Maybe if some of the 'do badders' paid up there would be more money in the kitty to repair the roads.

I personally am against the house hold charge. But put that aside, this has NOTHING to do with it. We pay our road tax..... it has been this way for years.

Either way, if they were served with an improvment notice, how exactly would this halt all works being done on the roads? At the end of the day, it is making the roads safer right?

To be honest, the roads here are a disgrace, even more so are the "red brick" ramps, they last a while, but when they start to degrade, man do they go down hill fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Drove up to renew my license this morning, outside the Aldi shop is like moon surface.

Rattles my car to pieces every time I drive over that section and it's just plain dangerous on the motorbike in the wet. Holes all over the road and lots of sharp ridges.

Advertisement