Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potholes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Hi everyone, as you may know - a KCC roads worker tragically died on a project near Maynooth last month. The Health & Safety Authority served the Council with an Improvement Notice, which essentially put a halt to all roadworks throughout the county. Many roads are in a very poor state of repair, but the workers have not been allowed out on to the roads to do anything about it. This is not a tax or household charge issue.

Well Aodh Rua, whatever happened between 16h07 yesterday ( when You submitted the enclosed message )and about 17h00 this evening ( when I drove home along the back road ), someone 'filled in' the holes from the college up to the hump backed bridge on Sexes Road. So, there isn't a moratorium on road repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Well Aodh Rua, whatever happened between 16h07 yesterday ( when You submitted the enclosed message )and about 17h00 this evening ( when I drove home along the back road ), someone 'filled in' the holes from the college up to the hump backed bridge on Sexes Road. So, there isn't a moratorium on road repairs
    over the last 2-3 weeks the craters near the ramps on the road through the curragh camp were filled aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

There isn't a moratorium any more - I saw some crews out last week; but they had been off the road for some time before that. In the immediate aftermath of the accident, they were even withdrawn from street sweeping.

A number of projects were completed in the last few weeks (e.g. resurfacing the main street in Newbridge; traffic light repairs at the Green Road, Kildare Town) but they were done by external contractors not subject to the Improvement Notice.

As for the notice itself, the officials in KCC were advised that this meant activities had to be stopped while they reviewed safety practices. The general public and councillors haven't received enough information on this process, and I think the officials acknowledge this.

As for the state of the roads in general, members of the public can contact their local area office to report issues or contact the councillors in their area so that the matter can be raised with the roads department at the area committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Karlitto wrote: »
    I personally am against the house hold charge. But put that aside, this has NOTHING to do with it. We pay our road tax..... it has been this way for years.

Motor tax has nothing to do with road funding to the councils. It all goes into the general government kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Motor tax has nothing to do with road funding to the councils. It all goes into the general government kitty.

-.- the whole point in road tax is to pay for the maintanence of roads. But what the government do is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

-.- the whole point in road tax is to pay for the maintanence of roads. But what the government do is another thing.

Maybe that was the spin 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Maybe that was the spin 30 years ago.

No no, still to this day, as it has always been, the purpose of paying your motor tax is to maintain roads, and safety on the roads.

But as I said, what the government are doing with this money is a different story. But the purpose of paying it remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No no, still to this day, as it has always been, the purpose of paying your motor tax is to maintain roads, and safety on the roads.

But as I said, what the government are doing with this money is a different story. But the purpose of paying it remains the same.

No, that's the UK. Motor tax has never been ringfenced or even intended to be for roads - its just another form of taxation. Originally on perceived wealth and now apparently on emissions, even if the pre-08 ones are not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

MYOB wrote: »
    No, that's the UK. Motor tax has never been ringfenced or even intended to be for roads - its just another form of taxation. Originally on perceived wealth and now apparently on emissions, even if the pre-08 ones are not at all.

Oooh MYOB, That's another thread altogether. Between the Greens and this bunch they have really screwed around with the charge of car tax. bástards, the lot of them!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

There is no such thing as road tax. The proper name for motor tax is vehicle licence duty. It is not raised for, or dedicated to the upkeep or construction of roads or for road safety purposes. It is a general tax payable for using motor vehicles in public places (roads essentially).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The road tax debate is best suited for elsewhere: back on topic folks, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Thanks BuffyBot - call me old fashioned but given how far up the swanny this country is, potholes should be the least of our worries........

Advertisement