Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Output to TV and Monitor Problems

Options
  • 26-12-2012 4:33pm
    Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice for my problem. I will outline what exactly I want to do and then my exact setup.

I have a 50inch plasma on one side of the room that is used mostly as a tv but it is beside the computer and I like to watch stuff and game over it sometimes from the pc. I also have a monitor the far side of the room for using as a computer with a wireless keyboard/mouse.

I would like to have the output from my 7870 card duplicated perfectly over the tv and monitor at the same time so I can switch between both without having to plug stuff out.

50 INch LG Plasma - multiple HDMI ins
    ASUS Monitor - HDMI in, DVI in
    7870 gpu - Single HDMI out, two displayport outputs, dvi out

Ideally I want to use hdmi only as the monitor has internal speakers and it would be nice to use them the odd time rather than the surround sound that feeds from the tv.

The problem is that the two don't work together very well as I'm using a displayport to hdmi output cable to feed into the tv. It works fine on its own but when I plug in the monitor and turn it on it becomes the dominant display and I can't set the proper over/underscan in catalyst display settings. The tv is then not displaying properly and is missing all of the edges. Also the sound drops out completely and isnt even available when going into sound devices.

Is there a better way to set this up? Could the display port to hdmi cable be causing issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DP to HDMI will cut the sound, only HDMI carries audio.

Are they both the same resolution? When cloning you operate at the biggest res that fits both.

As HDMI is bidirectional I dont think you could passively split, and active is expensive. If the monitor is the longer distance I'd give that HDMI and then run a converted cable+audio(Optical, TRS jack/whatever) to the tv.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

ED E wrote: »
    DP to HDMI will cut the sound, only HDMI carries audio.

Are they both the same resolution? When cloning you operate at the biggest res that fits both.

As HDMI is bidirectional I dont think you could passively split, and active is expensive. If the monitor is the longer distance I'd give that HDMI and then run a converted cable+audio(Optical, TRS jack/whatever) to the tv.

DP carries audio and the convertor carries the audio fine when the tv is plugged in on its own.

Advertisement