Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commencing studies at UCD- accommodation, transportation and general issues, help!

Options
  • 26-12-2012 5:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a new student of UCD proceeding to Ireland from the U.K in the first week of January, 2013. Presently I've been trying to get a place through daft. currently i have found one-going for about 290 in Dublin 6w. Could any one pls tell me whether this is a fair bargain?

Firstly my major consideration is closeness to UCD- is Dublin 6w close to UCD by any stretch? Walk-able? cycle-able?

Secondly please any idea of how much it would cost if i had to get a monthly bus pass that would reasonably cover my transportation to and fro UCD (In the event that Dublin 6w is not reasonably cycle-able or walk-able to and fro UCD)? In reality i would need to get one at least in the interim before i get used to my way around dublin.

Thirdly what is the practice of landlords and deposits? If I paid a deposit and had to leave, before say a year, do i forfeit my deposit?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Depends what your getting for the rent and where in 6w you are. It covers a range of areas so you could be 9k to 6k (maybe less) away from UCD. How much cycling do you like?

For travel cards you can buy a 30 day student rambler which will cost €91.50 but you need to have a Student Travel card, which you can get the the UCD Student Union bookshop (€12-14). The card is non-consecutive. Bus info here

The PTRB have the info on landlords or you can check out the Accommodation and Property section.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you in the Belfield Campus?
    SirBorbey wrote: »
    Firstly my major consideration is closeness to UCD- is Dublin 6w close to UCD by any stretch? Walk-able?
    Not really. Dublin 6W is the area west of the N81 road.
    cycle-able?
    Yes. http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Harold%27s+Cross+Road%2FN81&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.307391,-6.247101&spn=0.059184,0.110378&sll=53.30857,-6.226201&sspn=0.014796,0.027595&geocode=FZSVLQMdAjGg_w%3BFfplLQMdCQ-h_w&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=13
    Secondly please any idea of how much it would cost if i had to get a monthly bus pass that would reasonably cover my transportation to and fro UCD (In the event that Dublin 6w is not reasonably cycle-able or walk-able to and fro UCD)? In reality i would need to get one at least in the interim before i get used to my way around dublin.

http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/ - note that the 5 and 30 day tickets don't need to be used on sequential days, so if you only use a 5-day ticket on Saturdays, it will last all month.

You will need one of these Student Travelcards http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Student-Travel/
    Thirdly what is the practice of landlords and deposits? If I paid a deposit and had to leave, before say a year, do i forfeit my deposit?
    It will depend on the contract with the landlord. Many will ask for a one-year contract, but you may be able to agree something else. However, if you want to leave early, you can assign the contract to someone suitable, who you need to find - you would be responsible for any rent difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

Maldesu wrote: »
    Depends what your getting for the rent and where in 6w you are. It covers a range of areas so you could be 9k to 6k (maybe less) away from UCD. How much cycling do you like?

For travel cards you can buy a 30 day student rambler which will cost €91.50 but you need to have a Student Travel card, which you can get the the UCD Student Union bookshop (€12-14). The card is non-consecutive. Bus info here

The PTRB have the info on landlords or you can check out the Accommodation and Property section.

Thank you. Dublin is fastly living up to its reputation of being quite an expensive city. I'm talking of Harolds Cross in Dublin 6w- fair bargain? I think i can stand my fair share of Cycling. Not hoping on anything more than 25 mins though?

Thank you.

Victor wrote: »
    Are you in the Belfield Campus?Not really. Dublin 6W is the area west of the N81 road.

Yes. http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Harold%27s+Cross+Road%2FN81&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.307391,-6.247101&spn=0.059184,0.110378&sll=53.30857,-6.226201&sspn=0.014796,0.027595&geocode=FZSVLQMdAjGg_w%3BFfplLQMdCQ-h_w&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=13

http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/ - note that the 5 and 30 day tickets don't need to be used on sequential days, so if you only use a 5-day ticket on Saturdays, it will last all month.

You will need one of these Student Travelcards http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Student-Travel/

It will depend on the contract with the landlord. Many will ask for a one-year contract, but you may be able to agree something else. However, if you want to leave early, you can assign the contract to someone suitable, who you need to find - you would be responsible for any rent difference.

Thank you for this reply, very comprehensive. Dublin is quite expensive I must say. Getting a student card in my part of England is about 48 pounds for a month and that covers one zone (which is pretty much every where u need to be within really- all bus lines and the metro).

Rather than paying all that for a bus ticket i'd rather just get a bicycle- any useful web site/ place in Dublin where I can get student options/ Second new bikes please? I think i can comfortably cycle for 20- 30 mins- which I hope should be just about how far Dublin 6w is from my area of UCD. I'l be resuming at the Law faculty (although closeness to the library would be of more importance to me).

As regarding the tenancy issue I'm afraid that is why I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. I really hope I get a decent bargain and not need to move up and about during whatever tenancy period I secure.

Thank you.

Just for the records guys- Any idea of what school accommodation would cost per week (and in extension per month)? I am working under the 'assumption' that off campus accs should be cheaper than school's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm talking of Harolds Cross in Dublin 6w- fair bargain? I think i can stand my fair share of Cycling. Not hoping on anything more than 25 mins though?

You're probably about 6km away then. Really depends on your own cycling ability.

Rather than paying all that for a bus ticket i'd rather just get a bicycle- any useful web site/ place in Dublin where I can get student options/ Second new bikes please? I think i can comfortably cycle for 20- 30 mins- which I hope should be just about how far Dublin 6w is from my area of UCD. I'l be resuming at the Law faculty (although closeness to the library would be of more importance to me).

There is a bike shop on the UCD campus who might be able to sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Just for the records guys- Any idea of what school accommodation would cost per week (and in extension per month)? I am working under the 'assumption' that off campus accs should be cheaper than school's.

You can see the on campus fees here: http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/fees201213/

I think in general it is a lot more expensive to live on campus. But you'd have to compare for yourself. The different residences on campus have different prices as well, depending how nice they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Pick a place where you are able to cycle to ucd. Buses are v unreliable (Apart from the 46a, 145 and 39a routes). So if you want to get a place where you are travelling on a bus, get one very near a bus stop. You can find this out when you search for a bus number on Dublin Bus.
    I would recommend cycling though. Takes 20 minutes for me. Took the bus for the first 2 years and hated it.

Dear Friends, please can any one advise on how far Crumlin Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City is from UCD faculty of Law, Roebuck road? I've done a little research on google but google maps does not show possible pedestrian paths. Also, Can any one please comment on the effectiveness of buses line 16, line 17, line 77? If I intend to use them to access the university?

Thank you. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Dear Friends, please can any one advise on how far Crumlin Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City is from UCD faculty of Law, Roebuck road? I've done a little research on google but google maps does not show possible pedestrian paths. Also, Can any one please comment on the effectiveness of buses line 16, line 17, line 77? If I intend to use them to access the university?

Thank you. :-)

Crumlin Road is Dublin 12, no matter what a letting agent says!

The 17 is difficult to rely on, of one doesn't operate, you're likely facing a long wait.

27 56a or 77a to dame st, then walk to Nassau to choose between 39a 46a and 145.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys. I'm now settled in my house in Dublin. I must say moving down from England/settling in Dublin would have been literally almost impossible (or at least very expensive) if not for the help/advise i received from this forum. Way to go fellas, thank you.

Advertisement