Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unclear contract

Options
  • 26-12-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I received a phone-call one night in September by a person who claimed to be from Eircom. To me this call seemed to be very unofficial because this person was having a hilarious time with someone in the background, and therefor I took it to be someone playing a prank. Anyway, as it turned out that this person put me on a 12 month contract with Eircom claiming to have reduced my charges. I requested written confirmation of this which I never received.

About a month later, in October, before I received my next Eircom bill, a guy from Vodafone arrived and told me that Vodafone could do a cheaper package deal with a 12 month contract which I agreed to and he signed me up.

About a month later, in November I received a bill from Eircom for €513 early cessation charge. At this point I realized that the phone call in September was indeed from Eircom.
    If I had been aware that the phone call was genuine I never would have considered changing to another provider.

Other than this misunderstanding, Eircom have given me good service over the years, but I feel sooooo let down that there was no clarification of the contract. There are so many nuisance and hoax calls going around these days that sometimes it,s difficult to tell if they are genuine or false.

Eircom are now threatening court action if I refuse to pay.

Has anyone else had this experience, or is there another way other than pay a lump sum of €513?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Call comreg and make a complaint to them they will then contact eircom on your behalf. Have never had eircom but had awful problems with 3 broadband after weeks of complaining with 3 and nothing being done a friend said call comreg a week later the dispute with 3 was closed and I was refunded money

• Registered Users Posts: 6 plainjo

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Call comreg and make a complaint to them they will then contact eircom on your behalf. Have never had eircom but had awful problems with 3 broadband after weeks of complaining with 3 and nothing being done a friend said call comreg a week later the dispute with 3 was closed and I was refunded money

Thank you,

Glad you had success.

I contacted Eircom twice on 1901 and they said they would investigate, but no reply as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

plainjo wrote: »
    Hi

I received a phone-call one night in September by a person who claimed to be from Eircom. To me this call seemed to be very unofficial because this person was having a hilarious time with someone in the background, and therefor I took it to be someone playing a prank. Anyway, as it turned out that this person put me on a 12 month contract with Eircom claiming to have reduced my charges. I requested written confirmation of this which I never received.

About a month later, in October, before I received my next Eircom bill, a guy from Vodafone arrived and told me that Vodafone could do a cheaper package deal with a 12 month contract which I agreed to and he signed me up.

About a month later, in November I received a bill from Eircom for €513 early cessation charge. At this point I realized that the phone call in September was indeed from Eircom.
    If I had been aware that the phone call was genuine I never would have considered changing to another provider.

Other than this misunderstanding, Eircom have given me good service over the years, but I feel sooooo let down that there was no clarification of the contract. There are so many nuisance and hoax calls going around these days that sometimes it,s difficult to tell if they are genuine or false.

Eircom are now threatening court action if I refuse to pay.

Has anyone else had this experience, or is there another way other than pay a lump sum of €513?

Thanks
    Hi plainjo
    I have to admit that this is new to me. I am surprised that you should have agreed to a contract because it appeared to be a prank call. I would certainly advise that any person who receives any call which appears to be even slightly dubious to end the call immediately.
    If you PM me your account details I can have this investigated for you.
    Unfortunately if you have entered a contract, which you wish to end early, the early cease charge would be applied.
    Tony

Hi plainjo
    I have to admit that this is new to me. I am surprised that you should have agreed to a contract because it appeared to be a prank call. I would certainly advise that any person who receives any call which appears to be even slightly dubious to end the call immediately.
    If you PM me your account details I can have this investigated for you.
    Unfortunately if you have entered a contract, which you wish to end early, the early cease charge would be applied.
    Tony
    Hi Tony,
    I sent you a PM,

I appreciate your willingness to help. Perhaps I should have hung up early in the call, but I was of the opinion that if the call was genuine I would receive notification as requested within days. To date I have received no details of the contract after three months. How else can one know if a call is for real? This is my first experience of a phone call contract and I think it is totally unsatisfactory since there is a lot at stake.

I will point -blank refuse to entertain calls of this nature in future.

plainjo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi Tony,
    I sent you a PM,

I appreciate your willingness to help. Perhaps I should have hung up early in the call, but I was of the opinion that if the call was genuine I would receive notification as requested within days. To date I have received no details of the contract after three months. How else can one know if a call is for real? This is my first experience of a phone call contract and I think it is totally unsatisfactory since there is a lot at stake.

I will point -blank refuse to entertain calls of this nature in future.

plainjo

Because you requested confirmation of the contract and its details in writing this then becomes a condition of the contract and because this was not complied with there is no contract between you and eircom. You should also request a copy of the telephone call which eircom must keep as a record of the verbal contract and if they fail to provide you with an audible audio file of the telephone call there is no contract!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thank you,

Glad you had success.

I contacted Eircom twice on 1901 and they said they would investigate, but no reply as yet.

Hi plainjo,

Tony asked me to have a look into your contract issue / call. I sent you a PM. Can you get back to me when you can.

Thanks, Mark

Hi plainjo,

Tony asked me to have a look into your contract issue / call. I sent you a PM. Can you get back to me when you can.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark,

I have replied to your PM, hope it helps.

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Contacted comreg.
    Just received a reply. They said they would be in touch.

Contacted comreg.
    Just received a reply. They said they would be in touch.

Hi plainjo,

Ok, I will continue to monitor the case from here as well.

Thanks, Mark

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Because you requested confirmation of the contract and its details in writing this then becomes a condition of the contract and because this was not complied with there is no contract between you and eircom. You should also request a copy of the telephone call which eircom must keep as a record of the verbal contract and if they fail to provide you with an audible audio file of the telephone call there is no contract! This issue has been resolved.

This issue has been resolved.

No record of contract. Maybe they were having a party.:)

Thank you boards.ie, comreg, eircom and all concerned. 

• Advertisement

This issue has been resolved.

No record of contract. Maybe they were having a party.

Thank you boards.ie, comreg, eircom and all concerned.

Hi plainjo,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for the follow up on the thread.

Appreciate it.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Eircom were very busy in September!!  I was also caught out but thought better of it and cancelled in writing the following day - needless to say this doesn't seem to count.  Never received any written confirmation from Eircom either!!

Claregirl wrote: »
    Eircom were very busy in September!!  I was also caught out but thought better of it and cancelled in writing the following day - needless to say this doesn't seem to count.  Never received any written confirmation from Eircom either!!

Hi Claregirl,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have PMd you back.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Claregirl,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have PMd you back.

Thanks, Mark
    Issue resolved - thanks very much Mark!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Issue resolved - thanks very much Mark!!

Hi Claregirl

I'm glad to hear this has been resolved, I shall pass your thanks on to Mark.

Regards

Al

Hi, 

As requested I have PM'd Mark the final bill details so that he can sort this out - I notice he's not been online for a number of days does anyone else have access to Mark's PM's or do I need to resend??

Hi Claregirl

Can you please PM me with a contact number for you? I will contact you on this and discuss.

Regards

Al

PM sent with contact details although I would prefer to have written record.

PM sent with contact details although I would prefer to have written record.
    Hi Claregirl

I don't seem to have received your PM, can you re-send it please?

Al

Advertisement