Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Guinness Blacklist

Options
  • 26-12-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Pardon the pun, and I know it's been discussed before but just off the top, here's a few Dublin pubs I'd never touch the black stuff in:-

Rody Boland's
    Whelan's
    Bruxelles
    Bleeding Horse
    The Duke
    Hogan's
    Dawson Lounge
    Doyle's
    International Bar
    Sinnott's
    Murray's

Anyone got any objections/additions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Chelon wrote: »
    Pardon the pun, and I know it's been discussed before but just off the top, here's a few Dublin pubs I'd never touch the black stuff in:-

Rody Boland's
    Whelan's
    Bruxelles
    Bleeding Horse
    The Duke
    Hogan's
    Dawson Lounge
    Doyle's
    International Bar
    Sinnott's
    Murray's

Anyone got any objections/additions?
    why?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    why?

Because their Guinness stinks any time I've tried it. Just personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd disagree on Whelans, I've had it there and it was pretty decent, in the main bar anyway. It sells pretty well there I would think.

I wouldn't touch Guinness in anywhere in Temple Bar. I know it sells well, but it has a taste of dirty tap. Also, Guinness shouldn't cost a 5er less than 2 miles from where it's made. You could handcart the fooking kegs down.

Whelan's is nowhere near as bad as some of these places for Guinness quality, but there's still a "not right" taste about it.

I don't subscribe to the "sells well" theory about Guinness. Have had some awful pints in busy trad pubs and also some excellent ones in quiet places. One of the best I've had was upstairs in 4 Dame Lane one night at opening time, where we were the only customers. You'd hardly call that a Guinness shop, but they'd probably just cleaned the pipes/fresh keg...IMO more important than volume of trade.

Thought about Temple Bar also, but although vastly over priced, can't really say I've had a foul pint in any pub there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More of a 'local' topic than specifically Beers/Wines/Spirits.

Moved.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thought about Temple Bar also, but although vastly over priced, can't really say I've had a foul pint in any pub there.

Never had a bad Guinness in Temple Bar, the prices are bad alright, but it doesn't really bother me, I don't drink a huge amount of pints on a night out. Neither do most of the tourists that go there. I wouldn't fancy getting in to rounds with big drinkers in some of those pubs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Have been drinking in the Duke for years, have to say the guinness is all right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Never had a problem with the guinness in the duke either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Peters at the top of south William street can go on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The Dawson has always been a decent pint anytime I've been there.
    As a general rule most night clubs I's stir clear of guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Because their Guinness stinks any time I've tried it. Just personal experience.
    OP have you contacted Diageo about this? They take these issues very seriously.

Never had a problem in Peter's. Was in the Dawson last week and everyone was moaning about the draught beer, and not just the Guinness. Guess you could put many pubs on this list, depending on your luck re the pipe cleaning etc. My list was based on places I've visited a good few times and never had a good pint.

If only Dublin was like Prague, where I believe the pipes are spot checked and if found to be dirty the pub gets closed down...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

vektarman wrote: »
    OP have you contacted Diageo about this? They take these issues very seriously.

A much better idea than baselessly bad-mouthing Pubs on here.

General Feedback so far would indicate though that the pints are OK in most of the Bars mentioned in the first Post, so I am thinking that maybe the OP may not be the best judge of Good Guinness & it is unfair to keep the thread Open.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement