Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome causing machine to freeze

Options
  • 26-12-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a few freezes, and they all seem to happen when I'm using Chrome. PC would be cool, so have ruled out overheating.

Looking through the System and Application logs in Event Viewer and nothing shows.

As it doesn't always happen when using Chrome, I'm unsure what the problem is.

When the system freezes, the screen stays on, but keyboard is unresponsive (num light, etc, cannot be turned on or off), and mouse cursor cannot be moved. Have to restart machine by the restart button.

I've had a similar freezing problem and I have since gotten replacement RAM from Corsair, so unsure if it could be another part of my machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

sherades

1 word... browser

2 words....fire.....fox

hee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Galway K9 wrote: »
    sherades

1 word... browser

2 words....fire.....fox

hee :)
    Unfortunately firefox is a piece of crap, and I'd rather chrome crash-a-lot, than to go back to using firefox. Would like to use Opera, but battlelog.battlefield.com didn't run under Opera, thus I'm now using Chrome.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Helpful answers only please. (FF doesn't suck btw :pac:).
    It could be an issue with the Chrome profile, have you tried a factory reset?

Nick

Googled the Factory Reset option, and found that if i delete the "User Data" folder in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome it resets it to default.

the_syco wrote: »
    Googled the Factory Reset option, and found that if i delete the "User Data" folder in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome it resets it to default.

That should do it, did it solve the issue?

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    That should do it, did it solve the issue?
    I'll know if it doesn't randomly freeze in the next 3 months.

Well, didn't have to wait long. This time, it happened on lg's site, in IE8 whilst browsing their main. For some reason, it saw IE as a mobile device, so whilst I was on http://m.lg.com/uk trying to select "view desktop version", the computer froze. I have used IE8 as rarely as possible, so unknown what happened. Chrome was running in the background.

Are you monitoring cpu temps with something like CoreTemp? I experienced similar and it was actually caused by a build up of dirt and dust melted into the heatsink causing the CPU to overheat during heavy load.
    I also experienced such a lock up issue when I upgraded my RAM. Stumped as the memtest passed it later transpired I had not seated one stick securely, and the heat build up in the machine caused it to loosen and lock up the machine, try reseating the RAM and running memtest86+ on it to rule out any memory issues

Nick

Advertisement