Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my connection?

Options
  • 26-12-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm not a technologically minded person but this has been causing serious grief today and yesterday. One of my brothers got a laptop, the other a tablet, but since yesterday the Internet connection in the house has been really poor. Stopping every few minutes with the middle light on the router flashing (which seems to be the WLAN). We had this problem before and it turns out there was a problem with the line, we had this repaired only a few months and it's been working fine, up until yesterday.

Our Internet wi-go is with Vodafone. Personally I think it might be because with the laptop and tablet on top of a pc, 2 smart phones and Xbox live there might be too much for it to handle. We have the maximum amount of wi-fi usage that Vodafone sell so I'm not entirely sure that that is it.

Sorry if this was poorly explained, any ideas on what's going on ate more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It sounds like a router issue rather than any of the devices.
    Is the issue still happening today?
    If not connect all devices again and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ye it does seem like a router problem.
    The main problem is the laptop. Even for the few minutes when the Internet is working its working particularly slowly on that. He tried connecting it again yesterday but still no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scan all devices for virus and malware, it could be something hogging the bandwith.

Ask VF if they've had connection issues in your area. Maybe there's a known issue in a switch or something.

Than mate, I'll suggest that.

Vodafone's technical staff weren't on today, but they are back tomorrow so they'll be getting a call to see if they can figure out what's wrong.

We are using the Vodafone modem, do you know if it is any good or would a better one be required for more devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

how is the signal strength on your devices...any difference? if so, go to your default gateway on browser and change your wireless channel to 7 or say 11

reset the router by the default gateway page. check your connection status on the page.

Vodafone love love love to throttle bandwidth check that out lol

• Advertisement

Galway K9 wrote: »
    how is the signal strength on your devices...any difference? if so, go to your default gateway on browser and change your wireless channel to 7 or say 11

reset the router by the default gateway page. check your connection status on the page.

Vodafone love love love to throttle bandwidth check that out lol

As far as I'm aware the signal strength is pretty much the same as it was before. That being said it could be the issue.

I won't lie, I'm completely clueless when it comes to figuring out how to do the things you just instructed. All the same thanks for the advice mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Unfortunately the VF 'support' staff are pretty much clueless, speaking from bitter experience. :(

They will tell you to:

Reset the modem/router (which is fair enough, often sorts most problems for a while)

Move modem/router to the main drop point.

Do tests from their end & then declare that it's an internal fault.

Simple fact is the modem/router they supply is utter rubbish.

I have two of them in a drawer, second one was supplied after week of fighting with them, it worked OK for a while then reverted to default mode - dropping connection every half hour or so, requiring reset.

Eventually went back to using my old modem/router setup (Belkin router & Zyxel modem) with VF settings & have absolutely no problems, steady 6meg 24/7.

As an example, had house full of in-laws & kids yesterday, multiple smartphones, tablets, laptops etc connected with no issues.

Bosh wrote: »
    Unfortunately the VF 'support' staff are pretty much clueless, speaking from bitter experience. :(

They will tell you to:

Reset the modem/router (which is fair enough, often sorts most problems for a while)

Move modem/router to the main drop point.

Do tests from their end & then declare that it's an internal fault.

Simple fact is the modem/router they supply is utter rubbish.

I have two of them in a drawer, second one was supplied after week of fighting with them, it worked OK for a while then reverted to default mode - dropping connection every half hour or so, requiring reset.

Eventually went back to using my old modem/router setup (Belkin router & Zyxel modem) with VF settings & have absolutely no problems, steady 6meg 24/7.

As an example, had house full of in-laws & kids yesterday, multiple smartphones, tablets, laptops etc connected with no issues.

Ye I have a bit of experience with their technical support staff, they did indeed instruct us to do each of the things you listed. We had a different router modem/router that we used when we had broadband through UPC and it was fine, never gave us any hassle but we replaced it with the VF one when they gave it to us, we hasn't a clue how bad it was and figured setting up the VF connection on the old router/modem might be complicated.

Just to update you, last night my brother ran a recovery disc that he got with the laptop and the connection worked fine for the rest of the night (about 3 hours or do, the longest the connection had held since getting the laptop) so he is kinda praying that the recovery disc has solved the problem, as am I because I was planning on getting a laptop next week during the sales but if we have such a terrible connection it would be a bit pointless. Do you know if a recovery disc can really sort the whole thing out?

Personally I think it's inevitable that we will end up having to get a new router/modem. Do you know how much a good one that can handle a fair amount of devices would cost?

Why not try the VF settings on your old UPC modem/router?

The settings are here

Connect the old router by cable, Google default IP address for the UPC modem by manufacturer, enter it into the search bar & change the settings from there. Should be straightforward.

HTH

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bosh wrote: »
    Why not try the VF settings on your old UPC modem/router?

The settings are here

Connect the old router by cable, Google default IP address for the UPC modem by manufacturer, enter it into the search bar & change the settings from there. Should be straightforward.

HTH

UPC use a cable modem/not DSL. You also need to return these modems/routers to UPC after changing if UPC provided them, otherwise they will charge you. If it is just a router you bought yourself set the Vodafone modem into "bridge" mode and connect a lan cable from the modem into the router. (if you can turn off the dhcp server on the vodafone modem/router). If your issue is due to the modem this won't be a viable solution though

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    UPC use a cable modem/not DSL. You also need to return these modems/routers to UPC after changing if UPC provided them, otherwise they will charge you. If it is just a router you bought yourself set the Vodafone modem into "bridge" mode and connect a lan cable from the modem into the router. (if you can turn off the dhcp server on the vodafone modem/router). If your issue is due to the modem this won't be a viable solution though

Nick

Every day's a school day :D

Advertisement