Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Driscoll sacked by Nottingham Forest! McLeish walking already?

• 26-12-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

On the eve of beating Leeds 4-2.

According to 5 Live

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wasn't that always on the cards with new owners coming in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

godtabh wrote: »
    Wasn't that always on the cards with new owners coming in?

Didn't the new owners appoint O' Driscoll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didn't the new owners appoint O' Driscoll?

What i thought too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Source:
    Nottingham Forest have this evening parted company with manager Sean O’Driscoll.
    Owners Fawaz Al Hasawi and Abdulaziz Al Hasawi have made the decision as they look to move the Club forward.

Chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi said: “We cannot speak highly enough of Sean as a man. He was appointed at an extremely difficult time for the Club and can count himself unlucky to have lost his job with the team just one point away from the top six.

“But we have a responsibility to look to the future for this great Club because we have huge ambitions for it.

“We knew when we bought the Club in the summer that it would take time for the players we bought in to settle but that process has taken longer than we anticipated.

“We feel we have developed a really strong squad of players but are still searching for consistency in terms of team performance, underlined by the fact that we have not won more than two games in succession in the Championship this season.

“And with the January transfer window approaching, we feel it’s the right time to make a change.

“We are looking to bring in an ambitious manager with Premier League experience.”

Abdulaziz Al Hasawi, who was at The City Ground for today’s game against Leeds, added: “The timing of our decision may look a little odd after the win over Leeds but sometimes you need to make changes with the long term future in mind.

“Sometimes those changes need to be made from a position of strength rather than weakness and that is what we are trying to do.”

The Club will be making no further comment at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Roy Keane was at their game today and he is the favourite according to Twitter.

Very surprised he got sacked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

They must have someone lined up to take over, who are the contenders?

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Roy Keane? Why didn't they just give him the job in the first place before they gave it to O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

One of the better managers in the league. Very strange decision, especially when the league is so close and Forest would be strong contenders. Would be shocked if they appointed Roy Keane, more likely to be Mark Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Oatesy23 wrote: »

For all the bad press foreign owners get at least their lack of football knowledge is keeping people like Roy Keane in a job....and providing us with laughs in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mark Hughes FTW

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »
    Mark Hughes FTW

Hughes' rep severely damaged after his QPR stint. Roy Keane would be in with a shout of getting the job if Mark Hughes is the main competition for the position.

Keane should get it, top manager

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Keane should get it, top manager

Top manager, but not a top, top manager;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

As a Forest fan I'm disgusted.

Thought new owners were different, guess not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wonder if this will affect the proposed transfers of Derry Citys Stephen McLaughling and Barry McNamee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wonder if this will affect the proposed transfers of Derry Citys Stephen McLaughling and Barry McNamee?
    You wish!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

speaking as an ipswich fan, keane is the exact same as brian robson, great player in his day but just not good enough as manager. simply doesn't have the man management skills for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mark Hughes and his agent buddies will be creaming themselves. Fees galore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mark Hughes and his agent buddies will be creaming themselves. Fees galore.
    I'll weep if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Tapp out

O' Driscoll for Ireland job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ah, the Forest pantomime continues. Very disappointed that SOD has been dispensed with. Yes he has made mistakes - constantly changing the starting 11 and formation, playing the disaster that is Guy Moussi, etc. but the has also blended together what is largely a new side and got them playing good football, none more so than today when we outplayed and out-fought dirty Leeds for the last hour of the game.

We don't want Roy Keane.
    We don't want Stuart Pearce
    We most definitely don't want Mark Hughes.

This is the Al Hasawis first error. Everything they have done up to know was A1 - from the signing of O'Driscoll to the consistsnt level of communication with the fans, to the quality signings made.

They're clearly not a Venkys, but the jury is still out. They are speaking to a PL manager tomorrow, current or ex we don't know. Hoping for Di Matteo.

Let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Never been as glad to have Ellis Short at the helm. What a ****ing embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

grenache wrote: »
    Hoping for Di Matteo.

Let's see.

No chance of that, as you probably know.

JPA wrote: »

No chance of that, as you probably know.
    Stranger things have happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Its been on the cards since late November, had we lost today it would not have come as such a shock. To be honest i'm a bit baffled at how highly regarded SO'D is held by our fans, aside from today the only other stand out performance that i can recall this season was away to Huddersfield. Since then its been chopping and changing, dreary football with too much of an emphasis on the opponents and not enough on our own qualities.
    Limited manager (albeit a refreshing straight talking manager) but after more than a decade in the wilderness the traditional nice way of doing things are long gone, this family mean business and they cannot simply afford to risk spending a lot of cash next month on a manager that they deem to be not equipped enough to take us where they want us to be (which is not just the PL, but a very safely established PL team).

As for whos next? Keane would actually shock me, big name, ambitious with patchy experience, some might say a liability. Di Matteo is definitely being hotly tipped and the kind of appointment that would make todays sacking a bit more understanding. Wild rumours of Martinez from Wigan but thats starting to venture into LaLa land. As long as its not McLeish or Hughes i'll be somewhat satisfied.

And on one final note, i wouldnt feel too sorry for O'Driscoll. He's just made himself a nice fat cheque and its worth remembering he walked out on Crawley after a handful of days to better himself with us once the opportunity arises. This is football and everyone from the chairman to the managers and players understand that its a ruthless business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Going by the owners statement, if they're being serious, it's not going to be Keane. In fairnesss, that would truly be a ridiculous appointment!

gilmour wrote: »
    Its been on the cards since late November, had we lost today it would not have come as such a shock. To be honest i'm a bit baffled at how highly regarded SO'D is held by our fans, aside from today the only other stand out performance that i can recall this season was away to Huddersfield. Since then its been chopping and changing, dreary football with too much of an emphasis on the opponents and not enough on our own qualities.
    Limited manager (albeit a refreshing straight talking manager) but after more than a decade in the wilderness the traditional nice way of doing things are long gone, this family mean business and they cannot simply afford to risk spending a lot of cash next month on a manager that they deem to be not equipped enough to take us where they want us to be (which is not just the PL, but a very safely established PL team).

As for whos next? Keane would actually shock me, big name, ambitious with patchy experience, some might say a liability. Di Matteo is definitely being hotly tipped and the kind of appointment that would make todays sacking a bit more understanding. Wild rumours of Martinez from Wigan but thats starting to venture into LaLa land. As long as its not McLeish or Hughes i'll be somewhat satisfied.

And on one final note, i wouldnt feel too sorry for O'Driscoll. He's just made himself a nice fat cheque and its worth remembering he walked out on Crawley after a handful of days to better himself with us once the opportunity arises. This is football and everyone from the chairman to the managers and players understand that its a ruthless business.
    Dreary football and too much emphasis on stoping the opposition away from home , yes, but at home we've generally been quite positive. SOD tried to get us playing the Forest way of old, trying to get that consistency was his problem. In any case I don't think that 5 months is anywhere near enough time to give any manager, let alone one with 13 new faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

grenache wrote: »
    Dreary football and too much emphasis on stoping the opposition away from home , yes, but at home we've generally been quite positive. SOD tried to get us playing the Forest way of old, trying to get that consistency was his problem. In any case I don't think that 5 months is anywhere near enough time to give any manager, let alone one with 13 new faces.

I think the mistake was taking the players advice at the start of the season to appoint him in the first place because it was clear from the outset that the ambitions the family had exceeded anything O'Driscoll had been involved in before. But it became clear that the right manager wasnt available at the time (which actually leads me to believe that it could be RDM instead of Keane as Keane definitely applied last summer and was overlooked - again please not Hughes though).
    Agreed that 5 months isnt long enough, but given the circumstances of the takeover and limited time available to appoint a manager and buy players it was a sensible option to appoint a man who knew the current crop that remained from last season. Disagreed on the idea that he tried to get us back to the carpet football days, it certainly was what i expected after the amount of times Doncaster under SO'D passed us off the park but his refusal to play with any width or indeed request players in that area made our style of play was always going to be a narrow direct neither here nor there type of philosophy.
    You could argue that with time real width would have been available and then we could have started playing better, but the pattern was that we played excellent short passing fluid football in August and ever since then it has became less and less attractive with inconsistent results led to his sacking. Funnily enough i thought today was a pretty good indicator of our season so far, atrocious for the first half hour and then out of nowhere a great spell for an hour, before a pretty shaky finish.

Lets hope we look back at this day in a year and be thankful for a pretty bold move that ultimately was required and got us back to where we need to be.

gilmour wrote: »

I think the mistake was taking the players advice at the start of the season to appoint him in the first place because it was clear from the outset that the ambitions the family had exceeded anything O'Driscoll had been involved in before. But it became clear that the right manager wasnt available at the time (which actually leads me to believe that it could be RDM instead of Keane as Keane definitely applied last summer and was overlooked - again please not Hughes though).
    Agreed that 5 months isnt long enough, but given the circumstances of the takeover and limited time available to appoint a manager and buy players it was a sensible option to appoint a man who knew the current crop that remained from last season. Disagreed on the idea that he tried to get us back to the carpet football days, it certainly was what i expected after the amount of times Doncaster under SO'D passed us off the park but his refusal to play with any width or indeed request players in that area made our style of play was always going to be a narrow direct neither here nor there type of philosophy.
    You could argue that with time real width would have been available and then we could have started playing better, but the pattern was that we played excellent short passing fluid football in August and ever since then it has became less and less attractive with inconsistent results led to his sacking. Funnily enough i thought today was a pretty good indicator of our season so far, atrocious for the first half hour and then out of nowhere a great spell for an hour, before a pretty shaky finish.

Lets hope we look back at this day in a year and be thankful for a pretty bold move that ultimately was required and got us back to where we need to be.
    The lack of natural width is killing us alright, but then again we didn't sign any wingers, for whatever reason. It makes us rather 2 Dimensional. We've seen how teams figured us out by blocking off the middle with two sitting midfielders and we couldn't go wide, then we revert to long balls. You could tie Andy Reid to a wooden post by the touch line and the fecker would still find a way to drift infield!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Can see another Blackburn on the cards.

McLeish 1/5 with PP.

eek!

McLeish 1/5 with PP.

eek!
    :(:(

Somebody tell me this is a bad dream.

McLeish 1/5 with PP.

eek!
    Poor Forest!!! How does this fool keep getting jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Managed Rangers to Europa League final, pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

EdenHazard wrote: »

No he didnt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

:confused:

McLeish appointed as Forest boss.

Excellent appointment, I am sure all of Forest's fans are overjoyed. Lovely attacking football from them in the future.

Chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi said: “I’m delighted to welcome Alex to our Club and look forward to working with him.

“Alex took Birmingham to promotion from the Championship and has great experience of working in the Premier League.

“He’s hungry for more success and I believe he’s the man who can help us fulfil our ambition of making it to the Premier League.”

Do not forget he relegated Birmingham twice, can not leave that off the amazing C.V.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    McLeish appointed as Forest boss.

Excellent appointment, I am sure all of Forest's fans are overjoyed. Lovely attacking football from them in the future.
    I expect our fans to reject him from the start as the Villa fans did last season. We were used to flowing passing football under O'Driscoll and Davies. McLeish is the parallel opposite.

I feel sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what an awful appointment - lets sack the manager , who did alright given limited investment , and appoint a manager who plays anti football , given forests pedigree of playing the game in the right way

• Advertisement

Disgusted! Owners showing they really are clueless now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thank god I happened to start supporting two member-owned clubs.

McLeish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Can't believe McCleish has picked up another job.
    As others have said - he took Birmingham down twice, yes he won a League Cup, but he went on to nearly take Villa down.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Seems to have got it based on taking Birmingham up in 2009. However that was a side that was already too good for the Championship. This Forest side isn't.

If he is shrewd in the transfer market then maybe we have a chance. However, if he sticks to the negativity he showed at Villa, the Forest fans will be on his back from the start....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yep, if he does pull it off, even plays football that the fans like and gets them all onside (which will be a miracle), those owners are likely to "trade up" depending on who's available.

Feel massively sorry for Forest.
    McLeish talks a good game but is completely and utterly clueless tactically. He has not got a clue how to deploy attacking players.
    Can't believe he's got another job in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Teams have to get relegated. Birmingham on paper should go down and they did, Villa show this season they are useless, so McCleish prob got as much as he could or anyone could out of the players available. I'm not saying he's some great manager but whose to say he won't get Nottm Forest promoted?

Bet the Sheep fans are having a right good laugh at this.

Why are there so many clueless people in positions of power within football?!

Teams have to get relegated. Birmingham on paper should go down and they did, Villa show this season they are useless, so McCleish prob got as much as he could or anyone could out of the players available. I'm not saying he's some great manager but whose to say he won't get Nottm Forest promoted?
    Think you're just trying to make up for being wrong about the Europa League to be honest. McLeish is pure turd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

McLeish will have them playing awful putrid stuff. Amazing O'Driscoll was sacked for such an ordinary manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement