Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First try at home brew question

Options
  • 26-12-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi all I had my first go at a coopers lager two weeks ago and I have a question, I was given instruction to leave it in the fermenting bucket for a week and then bottle it and wait a week, I did this and I opened a bottle this evening It is fizzy and has a head but it tastes like sugar really sweet, Have I messed it up , I was worried about the temprature in the garage Even tough I had the bin wrapped in a duvet and the bottles wrapped in the duvet after I filled them the temp was about 10 to 15 degrees, Will I leave it another few days or just dump it now and start again

Rgds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I would give it at least two weeks to carbonate in the bottle at about 18C + and then a week or two to condition. The coopers lager kit might ferment at a lower temperature as some have a mix of ale and lager yeasts. I find kit beers take about a month from bottling to taste good. You really should check your brews are finished fermenting with a hydrometer before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was given instruction to leave it in the fermenting bucket for a week and then bottle it and wait a week

This is definitely too short a time. I know the instructions say that, but really they shouldn't. I'd say yours hadn't finished fermenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

As a rule I don't transfer from Primary until between 10-14 days. I take a Hydrometer reading after 7-8 days and once I get two readings the same I know fermentation has stopped.

I use a Secondary Fermenter (by no means essential) for about another week before I bottle my Brew. I think it gives more time for the brew to clear out and gives cleaner flavours (imho).

Regarading the conditionning of the brew: As a rule (I'm made for these rules aint I... hehehe)... but I wait at least 2 weeks in the bottle before trying it. The longer you can leave the brew the better. I'm currently drinking a Porter that I've had in bottles nearly 3 months and there is no comparison between the brew at 2 weeks and 3 months.

When I first started brewing I used to try a bottle after 2 weeks and then 3 weeks and you could really notice a difference even after such a short period of time.

Hope this helps you. Welcome to the world of Brewing :cool:

Advertisement