Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weedkiller for around beech hedge

Options
  • 27-12-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys just planted 400 beech hedge plants sprayed off with round up all grand buts its spring time im worried about when the weeds start 2 grow back what spray will i use then but not 2 harm my hedge any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Round up still fine to use, I use it and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingping007

what mix would u mix it at around beech trees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Round up still fine to use, I use it and no problems.

^^
    Was that on an existing hedge? If so the leaves may not be so low to the ground? There is little round up won't kill.

You should consider spraying before the leaves turn green? At the very least use a spray shield like this?http://www.aces.edu/counties/Limestone/MastGard/shield.htm

Whatever you do be very careful and seek more advice, I'm no expert on this, maybe just pull the weeds and grass by hand or cover them? Ask the person you bought the plants from? Just remember the time it must have taken to plant 400 beech plants, you don't want to have to do that again.

AFAIK roundup works best when plants are growing so if you get it before the leaves on the beech hedge turn green the lower the chance of you killing it, but the grass may not have started growing yet...

Apply as recommended on the label, depends on the type you buy.

A photo of the hedge would also help get better answers.

Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingping007

thanks guys the plants about 1 to 1.5 foot high so weak plants so it will be hard no matter what i do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

thanks guys the plants about 1 to 1.5 foot high so weak plants so it will be hard no matter what i do...

TBH could you ask the supplier and post what they say back here? I'd be interested in hearing what suggestions they have. best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement