Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog whining?

• 27-12-2012 3:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hey all, my dog who's a pekingese cross about twice or 3 times a year whines and crys. She becomes not very responsive and sleeps more than usual. She won't eat. Just a few bites a day. This last for about 1-2 week's then she is fine and back to normal again. Does anyone know what this is or means?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is she neutered? If so, I'd wonder if it's a false heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Irishmaster

the_syco wrote: »
    Is she neutered? If so, I'd wonder if it's a false heat?
    No not neutered or ever had puppies. She's 7.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No not neutered or ever had puppies. She's 7.

Probably in heat so. Why haven't you had her spayed, are her age she is prone to severe/life threatening health risks if you don't?>

Stheno wrote: »

Probably in heat so. Why haven't you had her spayed, are her age she is prone to severe/life threatening health risks if you don't?>
    Never had her spayed cause never thought we had to as we look after her quite well from other dogs etc. What should I be looking out for in health risks as she seems completely healthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Never had her spayed cause never thought we had to as we look after her quite well from other dogs etc. What should I be looking out for in health risks as she seems completely healthy?

When her heat finishes she is prone to pyometra, a potentially fatal womb infection. Basically because the dog is in heat her cervix is open and bacteria can form. When the heat finishes the cervix closes but the bacteria is trapped in the womb, expanding it and causing it to rupture. The older a dog gets the higher her chances of getting it.

Also the risk of mammary cancer in intact bitches is greater than in a spayed bitch, there's a 25% chance that an unspayed bitch will get mammary cancer in her lifetime and the risk gets greater over the age of 6.

It's never too late to spay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

When her heat finishes she is prone to pyometra, a potentially fatal womb infection. Basically because the dog is in heat her cervix is open and bacteria can form. When the heat finishes the cervix closes but the bacteria is trapped in the womb, expanding it and causing it to rupture. The older a dog gets the higher her chances of getting it.

Also the risk of mammary cancer in intact bitches is greater than in a spayed bitch, there's a 25% chance that an unspayed bitch will get mammary cancer in her lifetime and the risk gets greater over the age of 6.

It's never too late to spay.

There are also risks associated with spaying, i lost my jack russell terrier she had a reaction to the anesthetic. People need to be made aware that there is a risk unfortunately my vet did not make me aware of this risk.

daver123 wrote: »
    There are also risks associated with spaying, i lost my jack russell terrier she had a reaction to the anesthetic. People need to be made aware that there is a risk unfortunately my vet did not make me aware of this risk.

There's risk with every procedure using an anesthetic. From a dental to a spay to a cruciate ligament op. But you're right, your vet should have discussed the anesthetic with you in more detail. It's awful when things that are considered routine go wrong and you end up losing your pet. I'm so sorry you lost your jrt, there's no worse feeling.

There's risk with every procedure using an anesthetic. From a dental to a spay to a cruciate ligament op. But you're right, your vet should have discussed the anesthetic with you in more detail. It's awful when things that are considered routine go wrong and you end up losing your pet. I'm so sorry you lost your jrt, there's no worse feeling.
    Do you know how much a spay procedure costs? Is a dog definitely gonna die if you don't spay her? Thx for the reply guys now I know the risks in both.

My dog is also lactating at the moment. Is that normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Could she have gotten pregnant? Bring her to a vet to get checked out, if she isnt actually pregnant she could be having a false pregnancy and you can get medication for it

• Advertisement

Do you know how much a spay procedure costs? Is a dog definitely gonna die if you don't spay her? Thx for the reply guys now I know the risks in both.

Depends on the vets own charge and the size of the dog, the smaller the dog the less anesthetic needed so will cost a bit less. If I recall correctly my 25kg dog was €150, this included her buster collar, painkillers for the following few days and the follow up visit 10 days later for check up and stitches removal.

You're dog may or may not contract an illness or disease associated with intact females but the chances are increased the older she gets. Also it will stop the hormonal surges associated with heat, the phantom pregnancy symptoms she has and also will stop intact males from trying to tear down your gate to get at her.

Could she have gotten pregnant? Bring her to a vet to get checked out, if she isnt actually pregnant she could be having a false pregnancy and you can get medication for it
    Theres no chance of her being pregnant, she lives in the house and when out for walks is mainly on the leash. This whining and lactating happens 2 times a year also.
    Depends on the vets own charge and the size of the dog, the smaller the dog the less anesthetic needed so will cost a bit less. If I recall correctly my 25kg dog was €150, this included her buster collar, painkillers for the following few days and the follow up visit 10 days later for check up and stitches removal.

You're dog may or may not contract an illness or disease associated with intact females but the chances are increased the older she gets. Also it will stop the hormonal surges associated with heat, the phantom pregnancy symptoms she has and also will stop intact males from trying to tear down your gate to get at her.
    My dog is only 15 lbs so id say costs would be a little cheaper. I dont know if i will go down that route at this stage as shes already 7 and her health is perfect as far as im aware. Every year for about 2 weeks she shows these signs and then she runs around like normal. Odd i know, it must be phantom pregnancies as sillymango suggests and nothing serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

My dog is only 15 lbs so id say costs would be a little cheaper. I dont know if i will go down that route at this stage as shes already 7 and her health is perfect as far as im aware. Every year for about 2 weeks she shows these signs and then she runs around like normal. Odd i know, it must be phantom pregnancies as sillymango suggests and nothing serious.

My family dog died of pyometra when I was a child, my parents did not spay her as she was older and her heats were barely visible. I wish they had!
    It's best to give your vet a ring and discuss the risk of spaying vs non spaying.

mhge wrote: »
    My family dog died of pyometra when I was a child, my parents did not spay her as she was older and her heats were barely visible. I wish they had!
    It's best to give your vet a ring and discuss the risk of spaying vs non spaying.
    Thx for the advice! Was reading the thread on spaying and one of the owners dog died because of the spaying procedure, something to do with the anesthetic or something. Id be devasted if that had happened. So theres risks in both spaying and not spaying. Shes in perfect health so far so i think i will leave her be until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

There is a risk in anesthetics - whether human or animal.

So the choice is between the benefits of spaying as already mentioned versus the inherent risk of an anesthetic.

Advertisement