Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NSW traffic fines

Options
  • 27-12-2012 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I picked up a fine a couple of weeks ago for $230 for parking within 10m from an intersection. I was parked 8.5m from the corner of a lane that was running around the back of peoples garages in a very quiet suburban street.
    Measured and took pictures. The lane wasn't big enough to fit a car. Does this even count as an intersection?. I am contesting it, but in fairness how can someone judge 10m exactly when parking a car?.

Earlier in the year I got a fine for $196 for parking my car in the opposite direction to all the other cars on the street.

Last week mate of mine went to pick up his new motor on the Parramatta road which had just been blue slipped. Driving back he got pulled by the cops for having no rego. He explained to them that he just bought the car was driving it back to his premises. Illegal to drive without rego, they didn't care and slapped a $596 fine on him. They told him that under the circumstances they wouldn't fine him for having no insurance and displaying an old rego sticker. Which could have been another $796 on top of that.

I know rules are rules, but where the hell are they coming up with the value of these fines from!?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Feelgood wrote: »
    I know rules are rules, but where the hell are they coming up with the value of these fines from!?.

They are making up their quota for the month, it's almost like a self funding Police Force at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Earlier in the year I got a fine for $196 for parking my car in the opposite direction to all the other cars on the street.
    Last week mate of mine went to pick up his new motor on the Parramatta road which had just been blue slipped. Driving back he got pulled by the cops for having no rego. He explained to them that he just bought the car was driving it back to his premises. Illegal to drive without rego, they didn't care and slapped a $596 fine on him. They told him that under the circumstances they wouldn't fine him for having no insurance and displaying an old rego sticker. Which could have been another $796 on top of that.

In most cases the fine for not paying Rego is reflective of the cost of rego for a year. If the car is to be moved without Rego for the purposes of repair or transport to another location a permit has to be applied for.

In essence the deal is if the car is on the road it hasto be registered. One of the downsides of living in Australia.

Advertisement