Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henning Berg sacked as Blackburn manager.

• 27-12-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

more to follow
    'Blackburn Rovers FC has announced the departure of manager Henning Berg, assistant manager Eric Black, first team coach Iain Brunskill and goalkeeping coach Bobby Mimms with immediate effect.

'This decision has been taken following a very disappointing sequence of results. The club thanks the four men for their efforts and wishes them every success for the future.'

Sooner the better they shake off their current owners as those Venkys seem like right leeches.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

lol..Bring back Kenny!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

CSF wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as him getting the job, or as the clown who appointed him, or as the clowns who appointed him.

Another day in the life of a Blackburn fan under Venkys, hopefully the BBC will snap them up soon as scriptwriters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Most be a tough time being a Blackburn fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How many games did he get? Seems like he was only hired a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That is beyond ridiculous

I don't remember a time when there was so many laughable clubs in the game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not as ridiculous as him getting the job, or as the clown who appointed him, or as the clowns who appointed him.

Another day in the life of a Blackburn fan under Venkys, hopefully the BBC will snap them up soon as scriptwriters.

or the clown who was appointed before him

Melion wrote: »
    How many games did he get? Seems like he was only hired a few weeks ago

hes been in the job a grand total of 57 days!

and managed 10 games - 1 win, 3 draws, 6 losses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

or the clown who was appointed before him

I didn't want to mention him, I'd say he is high in the running to get the job back.

hes been in the job a grand total of 57 days!

and managed 10 games - 1 win, 3 draws, 6 losses

Not that I agree with sacking someone that quickly but that record is pretty shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mark Hughes to return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Give it to Di Matteo. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Apparently McLeish has been shortened, god help Forest if that happens. I think Keane would be a good manager at the top level but doesn't have the acceptance of mediocrity that you need in the Championship/lower Premier league. If they could get Mark Hughes I think they'd do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

rumours of berg out started as soon as Hughes became free.

Berg has been a joke. Terrible results.

60% loss rate.

No problem with losing games if performances are good, or we're making progress from game to game. This wasnt the case at all. He never picked our best team either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

These Middle Eastern/Asian Owners are ruining a lot of English clubs...

Forest Sacked O'Driscoll with them standing just 2 points off the playoffs

Venkys Sacked Sam Allardyce and appoint a nobody(who didn't do as bad as people will have you believe) and started well in the Championship only to be sacked and replaced by someone with a pretty poor record of managing in Norway

Don't even get me started on Cheski

Lets hope the new shower who now own Leeds don't go sacking Warnock and ruining our club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He should never have been appointed in the first place. Jack Walker would be turning in his grave. What a shambles the club has become. I really feel sorry for their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Serves that club right for getting rid of Steve Kean, he had them on course for promotion but fan's didn't accept him. Now look at them.

The real downfall was getting rid of Allardyce, disgraceful decision at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How did Venkys pass the "fit and proper" test when they took over? The FA has a lot to answer for here. The amount of idiots in control of English football clubs is astounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Liam O wrote: »
    If they could get Mark Hughes I think they'd do well.
    Shocking manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

4 points from 30 with a squad superior in ability to the vast majority of Championship sides. This is not laughable like people are trying to make out. This is a swift cutting of losses after it quickly becoming clear that he wasn't up to scratch. Hiring him in the first place was the laughable part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Say what you like about results but giving someone only ten games in a new league is shocking. Managers, like players, need time to settle with a new squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Say what you like about results but giving someone only ten games in a new league is shocking. Managers, like players, need time to settle with a new squad.

Some managers suck and all the time in the world won't save them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

These Middle Eastern/Asian Owners are ruining a lot of English clubs...

Forest Sacked O'Driscoll with them standing just 2 points off the playoffs

Venkys Sacked Sam Allardyce and appoint a nobody(who didn't do as bad as people will have you believe) and started well in the Championship only to be sacked and replaced by someone with a pretty poor record of managing in Norway
    You really need to know what you are talking about and save yourself from talking ****e.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some managers suck and all the time in the world won't save them.
    Yeah, well said Lloyd. Its was quite evident he wasn't up to it. The team looked like they didn't know what to do when they got possession. Every player was looking to get rid of the ball as soon as he got it with no plan of action it seemed.

I won't run the guy down too much because he served us well as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Dante

Venkys Sacked Sam Allardyce and appoint a nobody(who didn't do as bad as people will have you believe)

I am really struggling to see how you came to that conclusion. The man was a complete and utter joke, I really don't think he could have done any worse a job if he tried. In just a few months he managed to turn what was a solid lower-mid table PL side under big Sam into a team in turmoil, scrapping for promotion in the Championship. In interviews he came across as completely incompetent and way out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They sold two of their best players (Ujah and Nossa) half way through the season and didn't give him any money to replace them. Hardly his fault that things went south after that.

He still shouldn't have got the job though. Jumping from a mid-table Tippeligaen team to the Championship is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    4 points from 30 with a squad superior in ability to the vast majority of Championship sides. This is not laughable like people are trying to make out. This is a swift cutting of losses after it quickly becoming clear that he wasn't up to scratch. Hiring him in the first place was the laughable part.

Exactly. Especially the last bit.
    Serious questions should be asked about the hiring process.

I just learned this from wikipedia which I found amusing:

While working as a pundit for Norwegian TV, Berg had made a withering assessment of Blackburn's owners, Venky's. He said: "There are no real managers with credibility who would accept a job like that."
    On 31 October 2012, Blackburn Rovers announced that Berg had accepted an offer for a three-year contract to manage the club. He became Blackburn's first foreign manager. Berg said of his previous comments about the club's owners, Venky's: "That was me looking at it from the outside without knowing really what was going on in the inside. I think this club at the moment is going in the right direction."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Pj! wrote: »
    I just learned this from wikipedia which I found amusing:

While working as a pundit for Norwegian TV, Berg had made a withering assessment of Blackburn's owners, Venky's. He said: "There are no real managers with credibility who would accept a job like that."
    On 31 October 2012, Blackburn Rovers announced that Berg had accepted an offer for a three-year contract to manage the club. He became Blackburn's first foreign manager. Berg said of his previous comments about the club's owners, Venky's: "That was me looking at it from the outside without knowing really what was going on in the inside. I think this club at the moment is going in the right direction."

At least he was telling the truth anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Rovers have been mismanaged by Vekny's right from the off. Their biggest mistake was getting rid of Big Sam. Kean was a terrible appointment, and they were always doomed with him in charge. Berg too was a gamble, his record in Norway was only mediocre and it's not a surprise that this has led to uninspiring results. All that they need to do now is to appointment Kevin McDonald and they'll have put the tin hat on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He must have known it was going to end like this though, he said they were **** owners but went and took the job anyway. Who would want the job with them in charge? There's not many I'd say, but Kevin McDonald would really take the cake though! Someone like Karl Robinson, Micky Adams or even Aidy Boothroyd would have been a decent choice, if they'd want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

McDonald is a fantastic coach. Yet to be judged as a manager though. (Not counting his time as caretaker at Villa)

Corholio wrote: »
    McDonald is a fantastic coach. Yet to be judged as a manager though. (Not counting his time as caretaker at Villa)

Steve Kean was a fantastic coach and highly regarded by many in the game as such, but look how his managerial career panned out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Steve Kean was a fantastic coach and highly regarded by many in the game as such, but look how his managerial career panned out....

I'm very sure Kean didn't have the same success McDonald has had at various levels at Villa. But yes it's a valid point of course, some will succeed and some won't, I guess they will only know if someone gives them a try. Maybe Blackburn aren't in the position to be trying people though. Still, he'd be better than the Indian Sunday League coach that has been rumoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If I picked it up correctly (I was less than half listening) there's talk on SSN of some former bollywood actor at the training ground, wtf :confused:

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    If I picked it up correctly (I was less than half listening) there's talk on SSN of some former bollywood actor at the training ground, wtf :confused:

Read something about that fella last night. He's famous in India for being in some Bollywood film. He recently coached an under 15's side in some Arsenal Festival thing.
    3 years ago he was coaching at Accrington Stanley Bowles in the Fifth Division of London's Sunday Sportsmans League.

To be honest when I read that he would be involved at Blackburn I thought it was tabloid nonsense. But the Independent say that he's going to be taking training today. Good lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Ye Gods.... a Bollywood Actor!! :eek: maybe he can train them in those choreographed dance scenes.... yeah that will get us to playoffs:rolleyes::mad:

If they appoint a 'Media/ Bollywood personality' as manager i would stop supporting the club until Venkys sellup.

They must realise that they have to get a proper Football manager, whos done it at Premier League or at least Championship lvl before. We missed Holloway, Harry, we need a 'Big Sam'.....:mad: the freakin irony.

Why not Gus Poyet? why not Sparky?? Alan Churbishley???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

MacDonald could be placed in charge at Rovers alongside Judan Ali - who has been involved in a Bollywood football movie and was assistant manager of a London Sunday league side three years ago.

Full story: The Independent

from bbc website.

The saddest part, by far, is that there is a chance this could be true. It wouldnt surprise me.

Biggest laughing stock in England now. By a mile.

Blackburn's global advisor Shebby Singh has denied that former Bollywood actor Judan Ali is being considered as a potential coach at the club.
    Rovers sacked Henning Berg as manager on Thursday after Blackburn won just one of his 10 games in charge, a run which saw them slide down to 17th in the Championship table.
    Ali, 39, has appeared in several Bollywood films, though the FA has confirmed the former Arsenal trainee is also enrolled on their Coach Bursary Programme.
    He was present at the Rovers training ground on Friday but Singh told Sky Sports News that Ali was there purely as a "guest."
    Former Aston Villa youth-team boss Kevin MacDonald is the bookies' favourite to replace Berg, though Mark Hughes, a former Rovers boss, and Phil Brown are also in the frame.
    Brown, the former Hull and Bolton boss, has confirmed he has applied for the job.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/8364497/Blackburn-deny-ex-Bollywood-star-in-line-for-coach-role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Phil Brown good choice, With his trademark headset he would fit right into the Bollywood profile, maybe your man Ali is going to play as well :)

Seriously, when we had Gillette and Hicks at Liverpool, I thought that we had possibly the worst owners ever, I stand corrected.

Maybe they are making a big Bollywood movie about Blackburn and how an actor brings them from the Championship to the double of PL and CL :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Phil Brown good choice, With his trademark headset he would fit right into the Bollywood profile, maybe your man Ali is going to play as well :)

Seriously, when we had Gillette and Hicks at Liverpool, I thought that we had possibly the worst owners ever, I stand corrected.

Maybe they are making a big Bollywood movie about Blackburn and how an actor brings them from the Championship to the double of PL and CL :rolleyes:
    So you didn't bother to read the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Blackburn fans did more harm than good with their protests last season. I'm lol'ing at them from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you didn't bother to read the previous post.

I couldn't read it with the tears

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Blackburn fans did more harm than good with their protests last season. I'm lol'ing at them from here on in.
    Another who spits out muck that the media ran with at the time. Blackburn fans endured a close fight with relegation and then seen the team get worse the next season with the same manager. The owners came in and sacked Allardyce and replaced him with somebody that had never managed before, then went spouting nonsense about signing Ronaldinho and Beckham. They sold Phil Jones and Chris Samba along with a host of other players and reinvested very little making a tidy £30 million in profit over the course of a season in net transfers.

And you say the Rovers fans did more harm than good? How ****ing dare you!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

lol lighten up mate, its only football haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

EdenHazard wrote: »
    lol lighten up mate, its only football haha

Bit of cross-forum craic -

iyrRGbQ0oeVQO.gif

"Just football?" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There'll always be a job for Mark Hughes

Advertisement