Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Hot Chillies??

Options
  • 27-12-2012 12:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

Anybody know if the really hot peppers can be purchased in this country? If not are there any issues with buying them online and importing them...are permits required etc? I'm thinking now about really hot peppers like the bhut jolokia or the scorpion varieties. Thanks in advance, Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

fairly certain these were available in the english market in cork the last time i was there in october.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭robertb

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I live just outside Dublin.
    Since I posted this thread I've ordered dried ghost chili pods from a grower in England. All things going well I should have them within the next week or so... maybe longer given the time of year. I've seen tons of super hot chili challenges on youtube and curiousity has gotten the better of me...I'm determined to try one to see if I can handle it. Yes I know it's probably extremely stupid and I've no doubt I'll regret it but there you go. Anyway, thanks again for the reply. Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I got the infamous ghost chillies in fallon and byrne in Dublin city centre a while back (labelled as naga jolokia). I didn't eat them myself, but apparently they are very very hot :P

Thanks for this. Don't suppose you still have the packaging by any chance do you? Are you sure it was the ghost pepper? Apparently quite a few retailers are selling an indian pepper known as the PC-1 and calling it the naga jolokia....it's a significanly milder pepper and a completely different strain. If it's the real deal then I'll certainly make my way into Dublin in the short term. Thanks again for the reply. Robert

Sorry about the poor image, but this be them!

B4epl.jpg?1?7283

To be honest I've no idea myself if they're genuine or not... I got them for the OH cause he likes his hot stuff. He seemed to think they were the real deal though!

• Advertisement

Thanks again for making the effort here. Yes they're the ones alright. I'll get in touch with the shop and make sure they're in stock. Robert

No problem, the best of luck :)

I've been told to warn you that no matter how bad they are going in, they're even worse coming out O_o
    Sorry for being crude :P

Gross tip:
    Apparently toilet tissue dipped in milk helps!
    Hmm that explains why we still have so many of them :P

Ha!! Thanks for the heads up. Yes I heard this, but it's not the kind of thing you see as part of the youtube videos :) Not all glamour in the world of hot chillies is it :)

Look out for an idiot named Robert taking the ghost chili challenge on youtube in the next week or so....

Happy new year by the way.

Happy New Year to you too :)

Let us know how you get on :P

I'll post the link, how about that :)

• Advertisement

Works for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd say it was quite sore the next day. I used to love hot foods with lots of chillies but in the last year or two the pain the next day has become too much and I have had to more or less give up my chillie fix :(:(

Hehe fair play! How much milk did you end up drinking!? :p

If you're looking for another challenge you might want to look up something called 'the source'. The ghost chilli is about 1 million scoville units... the source is 7.1 million! It's pure capsaicin extract or something (so not an actual chilli). If you ever decide to go down that route use it as an additive only!! eg one drop to a whole pot of chilli to set it on fire. Or the only way to eat it pure is to take a tiny bit on the tip of a toothpick, then touch it off a 2nd toothpick, then put the 2nd toothpick in your mouth. It worries me that I know so much about these things... the hottest thing I can handle myself is a korma :P

Ha! I went through almost the 2 litres I'd say...I edited out quite a bit of erm...unpleasantness involving a bucket actually so I had a fair bit of difficulty alright. It passed quickly though...thankfully.
    Yes, I've heard about the various capsaicin challenges...some are at 16 million scoville units!!!! Seems incredible doesn't it? Check out "Tedbarrus" or "tmudder" on youtube. Jesus these guys are just freaks, they seem to be able to take anything. There's another guy who posts there, "Bishop Brad", who's a combination of chili head and hippie cowboy...very very entertaining chap. Again, he pops these things like smarties. There's a whole chili sub culture out there that I only found out about in these last few weeks. I think my challenges are over now though....although I do have some dried Bhut Jolokia pods coming in the post. Biggest problem with getting involved with the scene is uploading the bloody youtube videos. That 8 or 9 minute clip took literally hours to upload. The upload speeds are wayyyy to slow here. Anyway, many thanks for the guidance...that shop is the best I've been in...just superb. Maybe you'll have a go yourself now :)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'd say it was quite sore the next day. I used to love hot foods with lots of chillies but in the last year or two the pain the next day has become too much and I have had to more or less give up my chillie fix :(:(

No pain the next day...surprisingly. I was warned to expect it to hurt as much on the way "out" as it did on the way "in" but no nothing of that kind :)...stomach is a little raw alright but that's it. Oh, and I can't taste anything hot..tea, coffee taste peculiar. I'm told this can last a few days...all in all I got off fairly light I'd say.

robertb wrote: »
    Maybe you'll have a go yourself now :)

Hehe eh no, that won't be happening any time soon :P

You should check out the dude with the fireproof stomach :pac:

Advertisement