Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The offside law

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Moyes, Wenger and Lambert said it should not have stood on SSN.

We need teach them the rules;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

cambo2008 wrote: »
    If he's already in an offside position it means f**k all. You could still get booked or sent off if it was a malicious foul but if it's offside there's no penalty or red card for the push.

Was he not being pushed into an offside position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

greendom wrote: »
    Wouldn't say that, Evans barely had a hold of him before the ball went in. The holding part is being blown out of proportion in here imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

greendom wrote: »

He was in an offside position before Evans touched him from what I remember, open to correction on that as it's been a while since I seen it.

I don't really care at this stage to be honest, it was given, we still won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cisse was in an offside position, without him there being in contact with evans, evans would have never have scored an own goal, thus interfering with play, simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For a player to be considered 'involved in active play', he has to do one of three things:

a) Interfering with play: This involves touching the ball, whether the touch is deliberate or accidental

b) Interfering with an opponent: This involves verbally distracting or distracting the opponent in any other way, being in the way of an opponent or obscuring the opponent's vision

c) Gaining an advantage by being in that position: Playing the ball from a rebound or deflection off an opponent or the goal posts/crossbar

It doesn't look like Cisse is guilty of either A or C as he never touched the ball.

But according to an earlier post, FIFA have clarified what A means:

the International Board has provided detailed definitions of the ways in which a player may become involved in active play (Law 11, International Board Decision 2). On August 17, 2005, a Circular from the FIFA further clarified some of the confusion regarding whether "touching the ball" was a requirement for "interfering with play" (emphasis added):
    A player in an offside position may be penalized before playing or touching the ball if, in the opinion of the referee, no other teammate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball.
    If an opponent becomes involved in the play and if, in the opinion of the referee, there is potential for physical contact, the player in the offside position shall be penalized for interfering with an opponent.

I think that Cisse is guilty of the first of those, and probably the 2nd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For me it's a clear offside and no goal.

As far as I knew the 'interfering' rule was down to the refs interpretation as to whether the player is interferin in play. There's no way that can't be construed as interfering really. It's a stonewall offside imo.

Phil Thompson says it should have been offside.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Lukaku goal today. He's standing in a clearly offside position, Jones knocks ball forward then crosses ball (so now Lukaka is behind ball, but in front of all Fulham's defenders). Is this offside?

I assumed not, but Sky Sports pundit seems to think so..

• Advertisement

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Lukaku goal today. He's standing in a clearly offside position, Jones knocks ball forward then crosses ball (so now Lukaka is behind ball, but in front of all Fulham's defenders). Is this offside?

He never got back onside from the first phase so I assume it should have been given as offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cambo2008 wrote: »
    He never got back onside from the first phase so I assume it should have been given as offside.

remember Ronaldo scoring a goal for Madrid that was given - where he was never onside in terms of the defenders, but held his line a bit so that the player crossing it was ahead of him at the time of the cross - and it was given.

The first phase would be the pass to the forward, the second phase would be the cross - so in the second phase the player is onside.

I don't agree with it, but I do think that is the law.

remember Ronaldo scoring a goal for Madrid that was given - where he was never onside in terms of the defenders, but held his line a bit so that the player crossing it was ahead of him at the time of the cross - and it was given.

The first phase would be the pass to the forward, the second phase would be the cross - so in the second phase the player is onside.

I don't agree with it, but I do think that is the law.
    Yea, you're right there Mitch. I was actually thinking of that goal when commenting last night. Thought he got himself back onside for that goal but he just got back behind the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jam-Fly wrote: »

I havent seen it, but if he was behind the ball when played, its onside. It would only be offside if he crossed it forward which it doesnt sound like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I havent seen it, but if he was behind the ball when played, its onside. It would only be offside if he crossed it forward which it doesnt sound like.
    Think he was off myself

1357048412441.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Think he was off myself

1357048412441.gif

Very tight. At best he is in line but I can see the arguement for offside alright. A 50-50 really, some refs give it, others dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Think he was off myself

1357048412441.gif

Ball is played slightly backwards from my viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The question is it a forward pass or not and only after seeing it several times can I say that it wasnt played forward so it doesnt matter where Lukaku is positioned in relation to the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The ball certainly isn't played forward, played in-line imo..

He may be standing offside though with his left foot. Not that it makes any difference if the ball isn't played forward..

dfx- wrote: »
    The ball certainly isn't played forward, played in-line imo..

He may be standing offside though with his left foot. Not that it makes any difference if the ball isn't played forward..
    That's not the rule is it? Surely the ball being played backwards doesn't negate an offside, if a player who was in an offside position when a ball is played goes back to get it surely it's still an offside no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Liam O wrote: »
    That's not the rule is it? Surely the ball being played backwards doesn't negate an offside, if a player who was in an offside position when a ball is played goes back to get it surely it's still an offside no?

Ball has to have forward motion - hence cant be offside from a corner or rebound from post/bar etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Ball has to have forward motion - hence cant be offside from a corner or rebound from post/bar etc
    The link to the laws is in the second post of the thread. There is no mention of the direction the ball is played. Only the position of the player relative to the ball at the time it is played is relevant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

If you assume Lukaku is onside when the ball is played there's no question about it he's onside. This stuff about phases has nothing to do with the offside rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Lukaku was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think the left side of Lukaku's body is offside but it's hard to tell at the angle. We need to be looking straight down in line with the ball.

The defence steps up because Olsson has fooled them into it and his next motion forward with the ball gets them all caught out. I think Lukaku is fine in that position coz he is not interfering with play. Once he's behind or in line with the ball after that is grand but it's hard for us to make a judgement from that gif.

Advertisement