Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage leave

• 27-12-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi just wondering if anyone knows whether marriage leave entitlement can be taken before the wedding or does it have to be after.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Can be taken either side of the wedding, or a bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

From the ASTI website:
    Seven consecutive calendar days leave may be granted to those teachers who get married during the school term. These seven days include Saturday and Sunday and must include the date of marriage. This week cannot be extended on the grounds that the school was closed during the week for a Church Holiday, public holiday, etc., i.e. if the first day of marriage leave absence is on a Monday and the school is closed on the following day for a Church Holiday, the teacher must resume duty on the following Monday. In the case of a teacher marrying during the vacation period he/she must resume duty one week following the date of marriage, or the day on which the school re-opens after vacation, whichever is the later.

There are no Department provisions for the payment of a substitute to cover the teacher taking marriage leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Is marriage leave covered by S&S?

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Is marriage leave covered by S&S?

Officially, no.

Some schools seem to be able to make that work though, like some schools cover personal days with s and s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

So if you were missing for five days you'd be expected to get all of that covered with favours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I got 5 days last year unpaid. My pay was used for the cover I assume which makes sense

Moody_mona wrote: »
    So if you were missing for five days you'd be expected to get all of that covered with favours?

Yes. Or pay a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Murzie

Thanks guys! Was wondering as tui site says after. Will double check wit school to see about the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

You're entitled to 7 days off including your wedding day after the wedding, not entitled to take anytime off before. It's not up to you to get cover for those days, the school have to cover it whatever way they can. The department do not provide any paid cover for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Are you sure the school have to find the cover? Is it not like an extended personal leave (normally 5 days and not always consecutive) and like personal leave the person themselves has to find the cover eg favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I had the seven days off a few years ago and school covered it. Another colleague also took this cover a few years ago and the school covered it. You are entitled to the days off so I don't see why you would have to get them covered. Personal days don't have to be granted whereas you are entitled to these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

I took 5 days which included days before and after the wedding. I had to go round asking my colleagues to cover classes beforehand. I spent the next year (or two) repaying all those favours!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

piptypibe wrote: »
    I took 5 days which included days before and after the wedding. I had to go round asking my colleagues to cover classes beforehand. I spent the next year (or two) repaying all those favours!!!

That's the one advantage to the VEC system. I was given unpaid leave, the school got reassigned my hours for a sub. Much easier.

Advertisement