Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson escapes FA Punishment-How?

• 27-12-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

So in the last week he's accused an opposition player of attempted murder, he's ridiculed the performance of referee Michael Oliver and then yesterday he berated Mike Dean and the 4th official. Surely any other manager in any other league would expect disciplinary action to be taken against them but Ferguson escapes punishment for his vulgar behaviour not once but twice in a week. It's been said before by those in and out of the game but surely this week has been another example that Ferguson holds far too much sway over the FA and officials.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So in the last week he's accused an opposition player of attempted murder, he's ridiculed the performance of referee Michael Oliver and then yesterday he berated Mike Dean and the 4th official. Surely any other manager in any other league would expect disciplinary action to be taken against them but Ferguson escapes punishment for his vulgar behaviour not once but twice in a week. It's been said before by those in and out of the game but surely this week has been another example that Ferguson holds far too much sway over the FA and officials.

Why is there no indignation being shown about Mancini questioning the ref yesterday?

Dean said he had a reasonable conversation with Fergie. But clearly you know better. Clearly Fergie is a Vito Corleone type character where the FA are involved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liam O wrote: »

Why is there no indignation being shown about Mancini questioning the ref yesterday?

Dean said he had a reasonable conversation with Fergie. But clearly you know better. Clearly Fergie is a Vito Corleone type character where the FA are involved :rolleyes:

I don't have them on hand at the moment but the facts (Rafa style!) speak for themselves. I'm sure you've seen how certain referees don't get to ref Man Utd games after Ferguson criticises them.

he was particularly bad yesterday to be fair, even the united fans i was watching it with yesterday were shouting at the TV telling Fergie to shut up

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just don't kick a water bottle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Ferguson should at least apologise to the ref.

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    Ferguson should at least apologise to the ref.

Apologise for what exactly? Having in the ref's own words a reasonable conversation with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Did Newcastle's assistant manager escape punishment too?

All managers do it and get away with it tbf. The FA pick and choose randomly who to fine etc. What does it mean anyway if they get charged? A fine? Big deal. Maybe a touchline ban, hardly something to strike fear into managers.

His comments on the guy hitting RVP with the ball were some of the most bizzare I've heard though.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    All managers do it and get away with it tbf. The FA pick and choose randomly who to fine etc. What does it mean anyway if they get charged? A fine? Big deal. Maybe a touchline ban, hardly something to strike fear into managers.

His comments on the guy hitting RVP with the ball were some of the most bizzare I've heard though.

Admittedly their sanctions are woefully inept but he shouldn't be able to get away with these things without any kind of punishment. It sounds out the completely wrong message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Did Newcastle's assistant manager escape punishment too?

Probably, along with the two other members of their coaching staff who were at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think his shouting at the linesman warrants a punishment,no person has the right to shout and abuse someone like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looking forward to the thread if Harry also escapes punishment for his comments yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Totally agree, the ref and the FA have bottled it again.
    Fergie has been mocking the "Respect" campaign for years
    All the refs and the FA are afraid of him it seems.
    Rafa was right. One rule for him and and another for the others

Disgraceful

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think his shouting at the linesman warrants a punishment,no person has the right to shout and abuse someone like that,especially seems its only a football match.

only a football match? Fashion and Appearance is --- >>> That way ;);)

CSF wrote: »
    Looking forward to the thread if Harry also escapes punishment for his comments yesterday.

It's not just criticism but the ferocity of the criticism and a few days earlier the bizarre attempted murder jibes at Ashley Williams (on top of further criticism of an official). I know the comments directed at Williams were said in the heat of the moment and we all got a laugh out of it but accusing a player of trying to kill another player is blatantly wrong. That he's done all of this within the space of a week and the FA have done nothing about it speaks volumes of how powerful he is, which is either a good thing if your a Man Utd fan or Ferguson himself who has reaffirmed his position this week or a bad thing if your appalled by his behaviour and you want the best for English football.

lordgoat wrote: »

only a football match? Fashion and Appearance is --- >>> That way ;);)
    Ye true,but if anyone shouted at me like that in real life they would get a slap,now where's that forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Did you not see the Newcastle staff do the same thing after the tackle by Valencia ? Both cases were poor from clubs involved but a bit hypocritical to focus on one I think...

jaykay74 wrote: »

Did you not see the Newcastle staff do the same thing after the tackle by Valencia ? Both cases were poor from clubs involved but a bit hypocritical to focus on one I think...

I agree they should have also been punished but Ferguson, with his profile, has a responsibility to set a decent example. Of course we could all name examples of top managers behaving poorly but that he can get away with the disgraceful behaviour of the past week is alms urself just encouraging other managers to behave the same way.

It's not just criticism but the ferocity of the criticism and a few days earlier the bizarre attempted murder jibes at Ashley Williams (on top of further criticism of an official). I know the comments directed at Williams were said in the heat of the moment and we all got a laugh out of it but accusing a player of trying to kill another player is blatantly wrong. That he's done all of this within the space of a week and the FA have done nothing about it speaks volumes of how powerful he is, which is either a good thing if your a Man Utd fan or Ferguson himself who has reaffirmed his position this week or a bad thing if your appalled by his behaviour and you want the best for English football.

Quotes please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Fergie is only playing the game, looking for any kind of advantage. You maybe sure that one or two decisions favoured him in the 2nd half.
    There is no doubt that refs are afraid of him, and seem to believe the hype that he holds the power to stop them refereeing utd the next time, but that is all it is "hype". He has built this legend of "don't mess with me" if the refs don't have the balls to stand up to him then they should not be refereeing, the ref yesterday had the balls to stand up to him.
    As for his comments after the Swansea game, again he was diverting attention away from what was a terrible performance from his team, I am sure he was berating his players in the dressing room rather than talking about RVP's near death experience.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Im a liverpool fan and imo the real issue is that the FA lack consistency.Martinez got fined a while back for saying v little and gets warned of his future conduct.

sfwcork wrote: »
    Im a liverpool fan and imo the real issue is that the FA lack consistency.Martinez got fined a while back for saying v little and gets warned of his future conduct.

Martinez does it every week without fail. All this rubbish is only being flouted about because of who it is.

Quotes please?

Quotes for what? Ferguson's post match interview after the Swansea game?

Martinez does it every week without fail. All this rubbish is only being flouted about because of who it is.

And fergie doesnt?come on lad step into the real world,i know its cold here but try stepping in for a few moments.Martinez is vocal but if you believe his worse than many other managers then you must also think a fat man came down your chimney

Fergie is only playing the game, looking for any kind of advantage. You maybe sure that one or two decisions favoured him in the 2nd half.
    There is no doubt that refs are afraid of him, and seem to believe the hype that he holds the power to stop them refereeing utd the next time, but that is all it is "hype". He has built this legend of "don't mess with me" if the refs don't have the balls to stand up to him then they should not be refereeing, the ref yesterday had the balls to stand up to him.
    As for his comments after the Swansea game, again he was diverting attention away from what was a terrible performance from his team, I am sure he was berating his players in the dressing room rather than talking about RVP's near death experience.

Well ye nobody believes that Ferguson was as outraged about the incident as he appeared in the post match interview but he shouldn't be allowed to say such a thing simply to deflect attention away from a poor performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

A thread where opposition supporters feel sorry for themselves, create imaginary facts and spout silly theories.

Could raise so many examples about times when opposition managers have "brought the game into disrepute".

Quotes for what? Ferguson's post match interview after the Swansea game?
    The bolded part there.

A thread where opposition supporters feel sorry for themselves, create imaginary facts and spout silly theories.

Could raise so many examples about times when opposition managers have "brought the game into disrepute".

What imaginary facts? At what stage in this thread has there been an imaginary fact? You've imagined imaginary facts.

What imaginary facts? At what stage in this thread has there been an imaginary fact? You've imagined imaginary facts.

everything you've said in this thread is not based on fact and you are yet to back up one point, but go on.

• Advertisement

The bolded part there.

Im assuming your trolling or didnt even see the fergie interview?

The bolded part there.

I'm on an iPhone here but if you'd like to hear the quotes simply type "Alex Ferguson post match interview cs Swansea" and you'll spot a 34 second video on YouTube with the relevant quotes.

By the way just now on SSN I've seen Pardew saying that the ref didn't report it because of pressure and that he's been punished for similar behaviour to Ferguson's yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree they should have also been punished but Ferguson, with his profile, has a responsibility to set a decent example. Of course we could all name examples of top managers behaving poorly but that he can get away with the disgraceful behaviour of the past week is alms urself just encouraging other managers to behave the same way.

so - you think Fergie gets away with things because of his reputation and standing - UNFAIR YOU SAY! Yet you think Fergie should be singled out and punished because of his reputation and standing - HYPOCRITICAL I SAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ferguson knows where the line is and tip toes around it in interviews alot, apart from the out burst after the Swansea match.

Hes also very media friendly and very savy when dealing with them in interviews no matter when it is, sometimes arguments are made to look Fergie out to be a puppet master of the FA which isnt the case, hes just excellent at what he does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Henceforth, no manager may show any passion, get annoyed with any decision or be the slightest bit aggrieved about dodgy officiating.

After all, it's "only a game of football".

:rolleyes:

everything you've said in this thread is not based on fact and you are yet to back up one point, but go on.

What needs to be backed up by fact? Do you dispute that he criticised Michael Oliver or Mike Dean? Do you dispute that he said that Ashley Williams deliberately kicked a ball into Van Persies head which could have killed him and then appeared to demand that he be banned? Those are the facts that I've stated in this thread, all of those have occurred in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think what Liam O is getting at is that SAF never accused Ashley Williams of attempted murder. He accused him of doing something malicious, as a result of which Robin Van Persie could have been killed.

Theres a difference.

Fergusons moment of madness
    He told Sky Sports: "I think the FA has got to look into it. Irrespective of him having a yellow card he should be banned for a long, long time. It's the most dangerous thing I've seen on a football field for many, many years.

"(It was) absolutely deliberate. the whistle's gone, the game has stopped and he's done that a foot from the player. He could have killed the lad - it's a disgraceful act and he should be banned for a long, long time."

http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/8354542/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Ashley-Williams-deserves-long-ban-for-Van-Persie-incident

sfwcork wrote: »
    Im assuming your trolling or didnt even see the fergie interview?
    I'm on an iPhone here but if you'd like to hear the quotes simply type "Alex Ferguson post match interview cs Swansea" and you'll spot a 34 second video on YouTube with the relevant quotes.

By the way just now on SSN I've seen Pardew saying that the ref didn't report it because of pressure and that he's been punished for similar behaviour to Ferguson's yesterday.

hmm, no, not hearing Fergie say that Williams tried to kill Van Persie. Maybe you two have selective hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What needs to be backed up by fact? Do you dispute that he criticised Michael Oliver or Mike Dean? Do you dispute that he said that Ashley Williams deliberately kicked a ball into Van Persies head which could have killed him and then appeared to demand that he be banned? Those are the facts that I've stated in this thread, all of those have occurred in the last week.

You are allowed to be critical.

You seem not to understand the rules in place.

You can say a ref got something wrong, you can say they got an offside call wrong, or a penalty call wrong. You can not say they got it wrong on purpose - you can not imply they were deliberately biased towards the opposition or cheated.

so - you think Fergie gets away with things because of his reputation and standing - UNFAIR YOU SAY! Yet you think Fergie should be singled out and punished because of his reputation and standing - HYPOCRITICAL I SAY!

Actually I said that I agree that the Newcastle staff who were behaving so poorly should be punished, this I'm not saying that only Ferguson should be punished. As Pardew just said, he's been punished for similar behaviour before, the extent of Ferguson's behaviour this week has been ridiculous and yes I do believe that he holds too much dmsway with the FA and referees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Did you even watch his antics during the game ?

A joke for a grown man to act in such a petulant way.
    But according to some that's just passion, right ?

hmm, no, not hearing Fergie say that Williams tried to kill Van Persie. Maybe you two have selective hearing?

Notice the words "deliberately" " could have killed him" and then demanded that Williams be banned for a long time apparently.

Actually I said that I agree that the Newcastle staff who were behaving so poorly should be punished, this I'm not saying that only Ferguson should be punished. As Pardew just said, he's been punished for similar behaviour before, the extent of Ferguson's behaviour this week has been ridiculous and yes I do believe that he holds too much dmsway with the FA and referees.

So are you are accusing the referees of a lack of integrity - just to clarify?

Notice the words "deliberately" " could have killed him" and then demanded that Williams be banned for a long time apparently.

Where did it say "tried to kill him"? Still failing to see that. Please do point it out. Because what Ferguson has said does not imply that Williams tried to kill him.

In your own time.

Where did it say "tried to kill him"? Still failing to see that. Please do point it out. Because what Ferguson has said does not imply that Williams tried to kill him.

In your own time.

Seriously if someone said you deliberately did something which could have killed someone,its accusing them of attempted murder.

You are allowed to be critical.

You seem not to understand the rules in place.

You can say a ref got something wrong, you can say they got an offside call wrong, or a penalty call wrong. You can not say they got it wrong on purpose - you can not imply they were deliberately biased towards the opposition or cheated.

Please take a look at each previous case of the FA punishing a manager. How many of those managers accused the refs of being biased towards the opposition? Do you really think all of them will be because of this? Or does bad behaviour also warrant punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Seriously if someone said you deliberately did something which could have killed someone,its accusing them of attempted murder.

This isn't true to be fair, when a police officer stops a motorist and discovers they are over the alcohol limit, they don't book them for attempted murder.

If SAF accused someone of attempted murder on live TV then the police would need to look into it, never mind the FA.

Have a read of rarnes post or have you selective vision

So are you are accusing the referees of a lack of integrity - just to clarify?

Actually I'm not. I am saying that an unhealthy environment has been created in English football. Benitez, when he did his facts speech, was ridiculed but a lot of what he said is correct. Martinez spoke out against Ferguson aswell. We all know about the case of Martin Atkinson, criticised for his performance in Man Utd's loss to Chelsea, how long was it until he referred another Man Utd game? You read Alastair Campbell's diary and you realise get Ferguson is certainly very influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

In the past if you ask Fergie a question he doesn't like he would ban you from future press conferences.
    He's not long back giving interviews to the BBC and was openly defying the FA for years by not giving them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement