Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog park dub 15?

• 27-12-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi again,
    another question!

I live in Ongar - dublin 15.
    Saturday finally I will start to go out with my puppy.
    I would like to bringh him then to dog areas, where he can run and socialize with other dogs.

I know only Marlay Park, but it's far away from dub 15.

I just moved there...

Any idea?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Theres a huge park in Waterville beside James Connolly hospital that i go to all the time. It's not a dog park, but lots of people walk their pets there and i have yet to meet anyone there who gives out about the dogs as there's a large enlcosed playground for children if adults feel uncomfortable about them. There's a huge lake and lots of hills and woodland and would be perfect to start off, there's also parking on the road right beside it.

main%20balcony_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's a new dog park in Millennium park but not sure if it's actually open yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

thanks for your answers..
    he is just a puppy and I don't think he will come back if I call him :P need to try...
    maybe better in a safe area... for this reason I was thinking more to a dog park..

anyway I will bring him there for walks!

There is a new park just opened with enclosed with tunnels etc just across from the Blanchardstown center behind Mcdonalds ...

Went up on Christmas morning and it was the only park closed :(

There is a new park just opened with enclosed with tunnels etc just across from the Blanchardstown center behind Mcdonalds ...

Have you been there before? We were talking about it in another thread and it always seemed to be locked - making me wonder if it's officially open yet?:confused:

• Advertisement

but for dogs? with tunnels?
    I will go to check this weekend then! never seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

anniehoo wrote: »
    Theres a huge park in Waterville beside James Connolly hospital that i go to all the time. It's not a dog park, but lots of people walk their pets there and i have yet to meet anyone there who gives out about the dogs as there's a large enlcosed playground for children if adults feel uncomfortable about them. There's a huge lake and lots of hills and woodland and would be perfect to start off, there's also parking on the road right beside it.

main%20balcony_m.jpg

Must give this one a look tomorrow. I go to Catherines Park up beyond Westmanstown and its great. The dog can swim in the liffey etc and theres tracks and paths and field and hills etc. Just a pain of a drive to give her a swim. Will try Waterville tomorrow. Cheers...

Santry park is lovely - not dub 15 but easily accessible and has parking. You can let them off the whole time, swim in the lake (beware of swans! :P), paddle in the stream etc and usually other dog friendly people there.

tk123 wrote: »
    Santry park is lovely - not dub 15 but easily accessible and has parking. You can let them off the whole time, swim in the lake (beware of swans! :P), paddle in the stream etc and usually other dog friendly people there.

wow seems nice!
    there is no risk to "loose him" ?
    it's our first experience out :)

jsabina wrote: »
    wow seems nice!
    there is no risk to "loose him" ?
    it's our first experience out :)

TBH they usually keep an eye on their owners and don't go too far but you could always leave the lead trailing behind if you're worried? There's a big field in the middle where they can have a good run around - the grass was all cut around halloween but they let it grow longer and cut paths into it so pretty cool. :)

• Advertisement

TBH they usually keep an eye on their owners and don't go too far but you could always leave the lead trailing behind if you're worried? There's a big field in the middle where they can have a good run around - the grass was all cut around halloween but they let it grow longer and cut paths into it so pretty cool. :)

yeah I am worried because we don't know each other so well :D
    it's few weeks that we are together, he is young and he is learning the commands..
    actually he is coming when I call him indoor or in our yard, but I don't think so when he is outside... and I remember running for ours trying to take my previous dog :D
    My only fear is if he can reach roads with cars or go too far etc

Where is the parking for Santry Park? Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Where is the parking for Santry Park? Thanks...

The parking area is opposite Coolock Lane where the Fast Fit/ Centra/ Auto Glass is. Right opposite the Coolock Lane and the traffic lights - can be a tricky in and out of there depending on time of day!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=santry+omni&hl=en&ll=53.398402,-6.244311&spn=0.014764,0.042272&geocode=+&hq=omni&hnear=Santry,+County+Dublin&t=m&fll=53.397967,-6.251993&fspn=0.029529,0.084543&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.398613,-6.243979&panoid=zDdQwEYIkbBG_i5KvU5RiQ&cbp=12,282.53,,0,0

The parking area is opposite Coolock Lane where the Fast Fit/ Centra/ Auto Glass is. Right opposite the Coolock Lane and the traffic lights - can be a tricky in and out of there depending on time of day!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=santry+omni&hl=en&ll=53.398402,-6.244311&spn=0.014764,0.042272&geocode=+&hq=omni&hnear=Santry,+County+Dublin&t=m&fll=53.397967,-6.251993&fspn=0.029529,0.084543&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.398613,-6.243979&panoid=zDdQwEYIkbBG_i5KvU5RiQ&cbp=12,282.53,,0,0

Perfect, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP if your puppy hasn't learned recall yet I think it'd be a good idea to leave him attached to a long light lead that you can drop, that way he can wander around but if you need to catch him you can just grab or stand on the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

Have you been there before? We were talking about it in another thread and it always seemed to be locked - making me wonder if it's officially open yet?:confused:

Have to agree. Pass it everyday, never opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Hi again,
    another question!

I live in Ongar - dublin 15.
    Saturday finally I will start to go out with my puppy.
    I would like to bringh him then to dog areas, where he can run and socialize with other dogs.

I know only Marlay Park, but it's far away from dub 15.

I just moved there...

Any idea?
    Thanks

Most evenings people meet up with there dogs in latchford park usually from 6:00 onwards if your new to the area it's a 2 min walk from Dunnes in ongar

Wils110 wrote: »
    Most evenings people meet up with there dogs in latchford park usually from 6:00 onwards if your new to the area it's a 2 min walk from Dunnes in ongar

uuh thanks good to know!
    Yes I am new, I know where is Dunnes Store but never been in the park!
    I will check this weekend and hopefully go there in the future!
    Thanks!

Oops forgot to say about Santry - it gets MUCKY!! So be prepared with your dog walking clothes/waterproofs and a towel for the dog! ;)

Wils110 wrote: »

is it here?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Latchford+Park,+Clonee,+County+Dublin,+Irlanda&hl=it&ll=53.394833,-6.433353&spn=0.008573,0.020363&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&geocode=FXLCLgMdiNmd_w&hnear=Latchford+Park,+Clonee,+County+Dublin,+Irlanda&t=m&z=16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Yep just the park is the big open space below

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Yeah agree with whispered. I think you might be trying to run before you can walk so to speak. With Millie we started with a 15ft thin black lead that we used with her on the beach. First you keep hold of the lead for a bit then drop it and let her drag it just so you have something to grab onto. Still not 100% with her off the lead in a public space. Don't get me wrong she's great, other than her urge to burst any football in sight :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi as has been already suggested there is a dog park in the millennium park(not open)
    Another park just a 5 minute drive from you is St Catherine's Park, it's on the back road from Ongar to Lucan, the park is absolutely huge with a forest and hill walk all in the park, your puppy would be doing well to find its way back out if it did decide to run off for a minute on you!
    I would definitely recommend a long leash having used one myself I found it invaluable for my dog when I got him for recall.

Hi as has been already suggested there is a dog park in the millennium park(not open)
    Another park just a 5 minute drive from you is St Catherine's Park, it's on the back road from Ongar to Lucan, the park is absolutely huge with a forest and hill walk all in the park, your puppy would be doing well to find its way back out if it did decide to run off for a minute on you!
    I would definitely recommend a long leash having used one myself I found it invaluable for my dog when I got him for recall.

Yep I am sure I will buy a long leash today...
    I am too scared to loose him, he is young and energetic and maybe would not find the way home if he run too far away.
    He isn't microchipped yet, the vet suggested me to wait he is 6 months old so we neuter together and microchip and that scares me more..

Anyway...
    do you suggest a long leash to buy in pet shop or a long rope that I can find somewhere?
    I want to let him run and run and waste energies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

If you were buying a long rope it would have to be something thin like a washing line.
    I would however suggest a long flat loose lead, all of the pet shops sell them! If you can't find one in pet stop in Blanchardstown they definitely sell them in the pet shop in lucan(just when you go down the hill at the traffic lights at Laraghcon look left its there)

You will not lose him so don't be worried, when you go outside you will be surprised how close the puppy will want to stay with you and not lose sight if you!!

He isn't microchipped yet, the vet suggested me to wait he is 6 months old so we neuter together and microchip and that scares me more..

That's weird as a lot of puppies are chipped around 6 weeks old?! It's just like an injection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

You will not lose him so don't be worried, when you go outside you will be surprised how close the puppy will want to stay with you and not lose sight if you!!
    Its funny, I didn't believe people when they said that but its true. Millie was scared of losing us when we first let her off on the beach. She kept looking back to make sure we were following her. :P

That's weird as a lot of puppies are chipped around 6 weeks old?! It's just like an injection?

I don't know she told me that could be painful etc etc
    I was ok in the beginning, not I am not really sure, maybe I will bring him before..

We went to the pet shop in blanch and they have no long lead...
    anyway we went to millennium park... the dog area is closed :( sad because looks very nice.. I've asked a man and he told me that was open before and now it's always closed.
    He was really excited to walk around and meet people and dogs :)
    I tried to drop the leash for a while and he was always around me :)

Dog training Ireland (since you're starting the class soon)have the long lines and I think Pet Mania is Santry may have them? In the pet shop they'll be with training stuff like whistles or clickers - the Clix ones come in a box and sometimes as a training kit with a treat bag and clicker.

Eg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Long-Line-Recall-Training/dp/B004W78JLO

You could always make one yourself with some thin rope/washing line? Just tie some loops/knots along it to make it easier to rein him in. Oh and you should have the long line attached to a harness for safety - not his collar. ;)

• Advertisement

Dog training Ireland (since you're starting the class soon)have the long lines and I think Pet Mania is Santry may have them? In the pet shop they'll be with training stuff like whistles or clickers - the Clix ones come in a box and sometimes as a training kit with a treat bag and clicker.

Eg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Long-Line-Recall-Training/dp/B004W78JLO

You could always make one yourself with some thin rope/washing line? Just tie some loops/knots along it to make it easier to rein him in. Oh and you should have the long line attached to a harness for safety - not his collar. ;)

perfect thanks.. next week we will go to dog training for the course and maybe I'll buy there..
    or I'll use the rope for the clothes... I am off until the 2nd and I want to enjoy this time with my puppy!!

Advertisement