Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio design flaw-please advise

Options
  • 27-12-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

I bought a sony vaio from PC World last august over a couple of days ago I noticed a crack in the screen (not the casing) over the right hinge which is more noticable when the device is on. I will say this the vaio was not dropped. This really puzzled me as upon inspection I believe the hinge mechanism pulled the casing around the screen which may have caused the internal screen to crack. When you open and close the laptop you can see the hinge causes the casing to pull away from the screen.

I brought it back today and spoke to the services manager, he told me it wasnt under warrenty and that I would have to pay €65 to service repair and sign a form to agree to pay all costs.

Needless to say I am not happy and I believe this to be a flaw in this device , could anyone please advise

please see these similar complaints
    http://www.sony.ee/discussions/message/799087

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

If you bought it last august, it's still within the twelve month manufacturers guarantee. If you'e already been to the retailer and their response was not satisfactory then you should put it in writing, state that the goods bought were not of merchantable quality and that you are eirther entitled to a repair or refund as per the Sale of goods and Supply Act, 1980. I would also include a print out of the link provided and outline that this is a common problem with this product.

As a matter of interest, what was the lapropt you bought as I'm about to buy this one: http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SONY-VAIO-SVT1312B4ES-133andquot-Touchscreen-Ultrabookandtrade-Silver/312341/391.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Pc world said that this was not covered under warranty as accidental damage they are claiming I dropped it . I most certainly did not drop it and there is no damage to the casing or any sign of it being dropped as he called it. The model I got Was VPCYB3V1E.

I'm thinking of going to small claims court but Its going to be very difficult it's their word against mine that is why I value any suggestions or links of similar cases

Interestingly you mentioned repair or refund under that act would that be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Try the currys forum before you do anything and see what Declan says, Declan is MD of Currys Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

gjc wrote: »
    Pc world said that this was not covered under warranty as accidental damage they are claiming I dropped it . I most certainly did not drop it and there is no damage to the casing or any sign of it being dropped as he called it. The model I got Was VPCYB3V1E.

I'm thinking of going to small claims court but Its going to be very difficult it's their word against mine that is why I value any suggestions or links of similar cases

Interestingly you mentioned repair or refund under that act would that be true

From what you are saying and based on the link you provided it's appears to be a known problem with the product, so that it itself would weigh the scales of justice in your favor if it ever comes to it.
    IMO, the best course of action in these situations is to go back to the shop and try and get it resolved. If that doesn't work from now on put everything in writing. Management will realise that this is not your every day punter who and not going to be fobbed off and will concede to repair/refund.

Advertisement