Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When "One size" doesn't fit all

Options
  • 27-12-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a gift of a hat for someone, but the hat is too small and comes in one size only.

There is nothing wrong with the product other than it does not fit. So I do not have an option of an exchange for a different size as there isn't one.

When I attempted to return it today they offered only a credit note for the store, I explained I didn't want this as nothing else in the store appealed but it fell on deaf ears with the manager,who was pretty poor in his attitude as was the original assistant I spoke with.

So my question is, in the case where no alternative product of similar type can be offered am I entitled to a refund? The manager told me I couldn't just change my mind, but this is not the case, the product is just not suitable for the larger headed recipient!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not unless it was specifically advertised as "one size fits all".
    if it is labelled as "one size", all that indicates in that it only comes in one size, mainly for the conveniences of saving customers from rooting through them look for different sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

jeffontour wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a gift of a hat for someone, but the hat is too small and comes in one size only.

There is nothing wrong with the product other than it does not fit. So I do not have an option of an exchange for a different size as there isn't one.

When I attempted to return it today they offered only a credit note for the store, I explained I didn't want this as nothing else in the store appealed but it fell on deaf ears with the manager,who was pretty poor in his attitude as was the original assistant I spoke with.

So my question is, in the case where no alternative product of similar type can be offered am I entitled to a refund? The manager told me I couldn't just change my mind, but this is not the case, the product is just not suitable for the larger headed recipient!

No you are not entitled to a refund. They only have to take action if there is a fault with the item. Out of courtesy they are giving you an option to purchase something else. You are not entitled to the credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I duuno, buying these kind of products for somebody else is always a risk, shoes as well, as the person receiving the present is not there to try them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

The person obviously has an above-average sized head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I certainly have an above average sized head. I know this, and the people who would buy me gifts also know this. Buying hats can be a bítch so I wouldn't want anyone else trying to buy them for me. I ALWAYS need to try before buy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Curious as to why you bought if the sales assistant had a poor attitude. Isn't it AA that define insanity as repeating the same mistake and expecting different results?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The manager told me I couldn't just change my mind, but this is not the case, the product is just not suitable for the larger headed recipient!
    Did you explain to the manager that was defective, as the one-size-fit-all didn't fit the persons head?
    Isn't it AA that define insanity as repeating the same mistake and expecting different results?
    Actually, it was Albert Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

are we to presume you have a valid receipt?

the_syco wrote: »
    one-size-fit-all

That hasnt been confirmed yet. OP states that the product was "one size"

Shinaynay wrote: »
    are we to presume you have a valid receipt?

Receipt or not if it states "one size" they are completely within their rights to refuse point blank to even entertain. Most shops do offer to change it for something else or offer a credit note but the customer is by no means entitled to it.

If the op states that the product did say "one size fits all" then there may be a case but if not (which I believe to be the case) then the above is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Very politely put.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Receipt or not if it states "one size" they are completely within their rights to refuse point blank to even entertain. Most shops do offer to change it for something else or offer a credit note but the customer is by no means entitled to it.

If the op states that the product did say "one size fits all" then there may be a case but if not (which I believe to be the case) then the above is correct.

why dont you take the store credit and give it to the person?
    if yi have a valid receipt you shouldve bedn.able to get a refund

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shinaynay wrote: »
    if yi have a valid receipt you shouldve bedn.able to get a refund
    Refunds for non faulty goods are a courtesy, not a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I have a valid receipt. Thanks to those with useful input, I will check if it says merely "one size" or otherwise and decide where I go from there.

Advertisement