Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my child be penalized for not having a Baptismal Cert?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I thought religion was taught as an extra curricular activity in the ET schools
    if Jr is making his/hers communion/confirmation that is done(which I think should be the done thing) outside school hours on their own time, they teach about every religion not indoctrinated in to one religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't mind them being taught religion, they're baptized, but I didn't want it taught as a subject because I think its a private thing for outside school. but the way they put it to me, and the way its explained in all the leaflets is that its separate to school and an extra curricular optional extra.

I know they have to follow the same curriculum but having it in a history book is completely ridiculous. I'm starting to wonder whether there is much difference between the ET schools and a catholic school?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I know they have to follow the same curriculum but having it in a history book is completely ridiculous. I'm starting to wonder whether there is much difference between the ET schools and a catholic school?

There won't be crosses in classes, there won't be morning prayers, there won't be trips to the local church, there won't be a presumption that children are catholic.

Morag wrote: »

There won't be crosses in classes, there won't be morning prayers, there won't be trips to the local church, there won't be a presumption that children are catholic.

ah...that is all very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've personally no problem with religion being taught as a subject in school as long as it encompasses all religions and teaches respect for all beliefs.

I do however have a problem with school hours being used to prepare children for communion and confirmation. I'm a lapsed catholic but have no issue with these sacraments as such but I do think it's the responsibility of parents to invest third own time and energy in preparing their children.

It's a ridiculous waste of resources respecially when you consider how stretched the educational budgets are. I'd much rather see those resources used to focus on maths, science etc.

• Advertisement

I've personally no problem with religion being taught as a subject in school as long as it encompasses all religions and teaches respect for all beliefs.

I do however have a problem with school hours being used to prepare children for communion and confirmation. I'm a lapsed catholic but have no issue with these sacraments as such but I do think it's the responsibility of parents to invest third own time and energy in preparing their children.

It's a ridiculous waste of resources respecially when you consider how stretched the educational budgets are. I'd much rather see those resources used to focus on maths, science etc.

this is exactly what I think. its my choice to baptise my kid...therefore its up to me to teach it to him, but I want my brand of religion...where the core of it is kindness to others not a catechism of blurb that means nothing.

I don't want masses or time devoted to communion or confirmation in school. I don't mind religion being taught in a practical sense...ie...this is what people of 'x' faith believe..in a universal way of understanding other beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sporkie

silverharp wrote: »
    OP, if you live in a city probably not much of an issue but it could be an issue in small towns or rural areas.

Sorry for the late response - outside Galway. Looking into moving at the moment, so I'm looking at various schools near where we might end up (still this area). Our current home is 3 doors down from a Catholic primary school, hence my concern.

I was baptised and raised Catholic, but my spouse was not (we did marry in the church). However, I no longer feel that it's the best way to raise a child and therefore I guess I'll need to figure out if I want to baptise solely for the Cert. Kind of terrible to have to do that but I don't want to have school choices constrained by not having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sporkie wrote: »
    Sorry for the late response - outside Galway. Looking into moving at the moment, so I'm looking at various schools near where we might end up (still this area). Our current home is 3 doors down from a Catholic primary school, hence my concern.

I was baptised and raised Catholic, but my spouse was not (we did marry in the church). However, I no longer feel that it's the best way to raise a child and therefore I guess I'll need to figure out if I want to baptise solely for the Cert. Kind of terrible to have to do that but I don't want to have school choices constrained by not having one.

Speak to the school principle and find out if it makes a difference or not. It only makes a difference if the school is oversubscribed and they have to find ways to arrange the waiting list. It is usually siblings first, then children of past pupils (did you go there yourself?). There may be no problem at all, just phone for an appointment, go over and ask them. You could also ask the receptionist about the waiting list for their year of admission. Either way, put the childs name down on the list. You can always remove it if you move elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sporkie

pwurple wrote: »
    Speak to the school principle and find out if it makes a difference or not. It only makes a difference if the school is oversubscribed and they have to find ways to arrange the waiting list. It is usually siblings first, then children of past pupils (did you go there yourself?). There may be no problem at all, just phone for an appointment, go over and ask them. You could also ask the receptionist about the waiting list for their year of admission. Either way, put the childs name down on the list. You can always remove it if you move elsewhere.

Good point. Baby's not even due for a few months yet - I know I'm putting the cart before the horse! But my mum's making noises about planning a christening when we go home to visit next summer, which is what got me thinking about this. Once I know if/where we're moving to, I will do as you suggest and put us on the local's list: we won't have an older sibling or past pupil advantage so we'll have to go with time on the list. Thanks again.

Advertisement