Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire HD in Ireland

Options
  • 27-12-2012 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hey, just a quick one.

Got my mother Kindle Fire HD for chrimbo, I asked a friend to get me one when they came home for the hoildays.
    Just wondering can you guys clear something up for me.

Basically she can download books and all fine, but the app store won't let her download for some reason?
    I've tried changing the region settings to UK and the US but it still wont work.
    (The device was bought in the UK)

There are a couple of things online suggesting it won't work in Ireland for these 'Active Media' in Ireland?

Anyone know if this stuff will ever be available in Ireland as I would have just bought a regular android pad had I known!

Thanks,

Dork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

dorkacle wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick one.

Got my mother Kindle Fire HD for chrimbo, I asked a friend to get me one when they came home for the hoildays.

Basically she can download books and all fine, but the app store won't let her download for some reason?
    I've tried changing the region settings to UK and the US but it still wont work.

There are a couple of things online suggesting it won't work in Ireland for these 'Active Media' in Ireland?

Anyone know if this stuff will ever be available in Ireland as I would have just bought a regular android pad had I known!

Thanks,

Dork.

There was some rumour of the App Store opening for Ireland in the near future but nothing concrete.

You can still use email, the browser and get books but its reading your IP and seeing 'Ireland' so you can't download anything from the App Store, even free stuff.

If you are anyway technical, you will be able to flash a custom rom onto it in the near-ish future as there are people working on getting CM10 onto it over on XDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Cheers Cossax,

I don't understand why it isn't available already? Strange, considering the book store is available and that all the other service providers (ie. android and apple) have stores available in Ireland...?

If it doesn't get released I may have to have a look at this custom rom.
    Gas thing is,she just wants to play Angry Birds! :p
    Its available on everything everywhere!

Fingers crossed for a Jan release neway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a thread on here recently where someone claimed the Fire would be launched in Ireland (with access to apps etc) in January.

in the meantime, sideloading apps is very easy if you have an Android phone (or you can just download the APK files from the web).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Collapso

I had the same problem of accessing the App store but was able to get around it. I changed the country setting to UK , then used my Parcel Motel address in NI(change to 'despatch to this address' as well), and then setup the 1-Click payment method. The Kindle app store is nowhere near as good as Google Play. You can get all the same Apps by sideloading etc , but that is a lot of hassle. I will probably root it and install Android Jelly Bean.

Collapso wrote: »
    I had the same problem of accessing the App store but was able to get around it. I changed the country setting to UK , then used my Parcel Motel address in NI(change to 'despatch to this address' as well), and then setup the 1-Click payment method. The Kindle app store is nowhere near as good as Google Play. You can get all the same Apps by sideloading etc , but that is a lot of hassle. I will probably root it and install Android Jelly Bean.

That works alright, good shout.

It'll be a few weeks yet before anything solid happens on getting CM10 onto the KF HD but here is the thread on XDA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I got my mother one of these and had to get the apps she wanted by downloading them on the internet browser

• Registered Users Posts: 23 S_S116

Hi everyone,

I got a kindle Fire HD this Christmas. First of all when I register, I get registered with amazon.com not .co.uk where I have my billing details.
    Second, it tells me that because of my geography here in Ireland I can'r download apps. I know there are ways of sideloading but I'm not at all very technical. Is there anywhere to take the tablet for someone to show me how to get around these limitations?

Should i have even got this considering there;s so many limitations for Irish customers?

S_S116 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I got a kindle Fire HD this Christmas. First of all when I register, I get registered with amazon.com not .co.uk where I have my billing details.
    Second, it tells me that because of my geography here in Ireland I can'r download apps. I know there are ways of sideloading but I'm not at all very technical. Is there anywhere to take the tablet for someone to show me how to get around these limitations?

Should i have even got this considering there;s so many limitations for Irish customers?

See one of the preceding posts on this thread on how to download apps from the App Store - it works! Previous to this I'd just been using the browser for Twitter/FB etc. but now I have access to Amazon's App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

They have stated in a lot of shops that they don't sell the kindle fire HD due to software issues and supposedly internet compatibility not sure of the exact reason why they don't sell them here. Is it working ok otherwise? I don't think they will ever sell the kindle fire/fire HD unless the app store/software issue is resolved. It won't be on sale in the near future here in Ireland as of now. Maybe within a year.

If you were getting the kindle at all best to stick with the ordinary one if you can get wifi, if internet isn't great get one with 3G if you can. At the moment they all sold out in most places. Paperwhite, keyboard, touch or the ordinary one be your best bet. If you looking for something similar to the Kindle fire HD best to get a tablet its suppose to do similar features. I would have gone with an android tablet/ipad to be honest, you still get to download and read books on it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 marcdamien1974

Hey, just a quick one.

Thanks,

Dork.

I was just talking to a rep from amazon in trying to buy the kindle fire hd from amazon.co.uk but they will not ship to Ireland because of the licensing issues. I tryed amazon.com too with no joy. Im not bothered about the not being able to use amazons apps because i know how to side load apps from different app stores (handy youtube walkthroughs helped with that) but i just cant seem to get my hands on the hardware. Does anyone know where i can get one? Actually 2 coz my friend wants one too. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

order from amazon using parcel motel or get someone in the U.K to get it for ya...

They actually have the 16gb version in stock in Tesco Clarehall if that is any use to you (not where I got mine), got a friend to pick one up in the airport on the way home.

I know a lad that works there, and while they were told not to sell them (apparently they were sent in accidently from the warehouse) they have sold a couple to people they know. So if you ask one of the electical staff nicely and explain your aware of the fact its not fully functional in Ireland they might give it to you ;)

They actually have the 16gb version in stock in Tesco Clarehall if that is any use to you (not where I got mine), got a friend to pick one up in the airport on the way home.

I know a lad that works there, and while they were told not to sell them (apparently they were sent in accidently from the warehouse) they have sold a couple to people they know. So if you ask one of the electical staff nicely and explain your aware of the fact its not fully functional in Ireland they might give it to you ;)

Cheers pal, i'll try that out :)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    order from amazon using parcel motel or get someone in the U.K to get it for ya...

Whats "parcel motel"? i never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

I tried this. Didn't work. Same geographical location warning when trying to purchase any app in the Amazon App Store (free or paid apps).

When you say "I changed the country setting to UK"; change the setting where?
    - On the Kindle Fire HD itself? There's no option to do that (just Enable Location Based services, which isn't applicable).
    - In your Amazon.co.uk profile? For your billing & delivery address? Tried that with the below address & enabled 1-Click Ordering; didn't work.

Your name
    Your PMID
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

Can you confirm the exact steps you followed to enable you to download apps from the Amazon App Store please?

Btw, my KFHD was purchased by a family member who lives in the US & brought over here so it auto-registered to her US-based Amazon.com account. All was fine and dandy until I de-registered it and re-registered it in my own amazon.co.uk account.

At the moment all I'm interested is in being able to download apps from the Amazon App Store because without this I can't side-load apps either (for side-loading an app is required on the Fire HD such as Easy Installer or ES File Explorer, which of course you can only install from the Amazon App Store...)

I set the Kindle up for someone else so I will have to check again , I will update later with more details .

Set up the '1 click' using the Parcel Motel address

Go to Settings 'Manage your Kindle'

Go to 'Your Kindle Account '
    Country Settings - United Kingdom

Try installing an app from the app store , if you get an error , click on the error and it should bring you to these settings . I think I had to change the 'Despatch to this address 'address from my ROI to the UK address. If you order something from Amazon , at the end it asks you where to despatch to , so make sure the UK address is the primary address.

Hope this helps

I got around the problem by installing another 'app store' through the browser already on the device.
    Think it was called 'getjar'. Seems ok!

Its relatively simple, you just allow apps to be installed from unknown sources in the settings, go to the getjar website ( i googled it).

You are supposed to pick the device your using from a selection (so it matches compatibility I assume?), the Kindle fire isn't an option though so I just picked something random tbh.. Worked great, the only thing is the app icons are a bit fuzzy but they actually run perfect and look gorgeous on the kindle's screen.

I dunno how paid purchases work exactly or even if its available (I didn't look), and tbh I wouldn't trust it anyway!
    But the owner (my mother) only wanted Angry Birds on it really, which was free, at least it will tide her over until its officially launched in Ireland by Amazon, if ever! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

I set the Kindle up for someone else so I will have to check again , I will update later with more details .

Set up the '1 click' using the Parcel Motel address

Go to Settings 'Manage your Kindle'

Go to 'Your Kindle Account '
    Country Settings - United Kingdom

Try installing an app from the app store , if you get an error , click on the error and it should bring you to these settings . I think I had to change the 'Despatch to this address 'address from my ROI to the UK address. If you order something from Amazon , at the end it asks you where to despatch to , so make sure the UK address is the primary address.

Hope this helps

Thanks Collapso, resolved by changing the Country Settings on my Amazon.com account to UK which transferred the account to Amazon.co.uk and then changing my Amazon.co.uk account's payment details from an Irish visa debit card to a prepaid virtual Sterling Mastercard. Tks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 S_S116

Thanks for the advice, Well since Christmas, I found this great site call ebookreaders. They sell fake US credit card numbers (totally legitimate!). Using this credit card with its' fake address I can download any FREE apps however I've benn having some difficulty downloading ANY apps that cost something. Anyone had this problem.

Other problem: I dropped my Kindle Fire HD and now there's a crack across the middle of the screen. It wan't bought from Amazon so no returns there. Any suggestions as to a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nogstewd1

Brought one in England was told it would work no problem,would,nt go on App Store,so brought it back to hoggis and figgis who are a sister company to water stones uk ,and after a lot arguing they gave me the money back, went and got a ipad instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nogstewd1

Don't buy one , get an ipad

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bob Annaliffia

Hi, the Kindle App store is now working in Ireland, at least it is for free apps ie Netflix / Facebook / Angrybirds. Haven't tried to buy anything yet.

Here is a way I found to root the Kindle , you can then install Google Play . I also changed the launcher from so it looks more like an android device, and I can go back to the original kindle launcher.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

Hi, the Kindle App store is now working in Ireland, at least it is for free apps ie Netflix / Facebook / Angrybirds. Haven't tried to buy anything yet.

Are you sure?

I tried it today and it still wasn't working.
    Here is a way I found to root the Kindle , you can then install Google Play . I also changed the launcher from so it looks more like an android device, and I can go back to the original kindle launcher.

An cheers, I might try this when I have a bit of time.

Does it take long?

Are you sure?

I tried it today and it still wasn't working.

An cheers, I might try this when I have a bit of time.

Does it take long?

I can also get the free apps from the Kindle app store now, the way mentioned above only worked for a while . It took a couple of hours to root the Kindle , mainly because I never installed the drivers on the computer. If you have the drivers already installed it should not take too long. I got it working using Windows 7 (I tried with XP but I could not get the command prompt to run in Administrator mode) I then installed Google Play , there is an app called Kindle Free in Google Play which I installed, which allows you to change the launcher , Go Launcher works good as well. There is a Kindle icon which allows you to go back to the original Kindle Launcher. Here are some screen shots of my Kindle , the first two are the Kindle Free Launcher and the last one is the original Kindle Launcher.
    kindle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KindleKaos

Hi,

I brought my Kindle Fire when they were only available in US and even tho they are now in Ireland my Appstore and Music store still default to Amazon.com (for some reason the book store goes to Amazon.co.uk and I can purchase from this)

I have tried changing my address to a UK one and my device is registered to my account with Amazon.co.uk but still the device automatically goes to the US site which I cannot get any apps from without a US billing address & US credit card.

I tried the previous posters advice and changed my address to a UK one and turned on the 1-click payment method, this still doesn't work as it goes to Amazon.com. Does anyone know how to change the settings on my device so it doesn't default to Amazon.com? I tried to sideload the Amazon appstore app from the UK store but this just got rid of any app store!

Advertisement