Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom 500

Options
  • 27-12-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Anyone feel like slagging off the Phantom 500? Only joking :D I loved this last year and enjoying it this year when I get the chance to listen. Lots of WTFs in there but so what. Any break from the usual playlist is always welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I didn't even think phantom had 500 individual songs at the station, they only seem to use about 10 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had it on driving home in the 26th, did they pull people in off the street to present it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

You'll have to excuse this old fool if his memory is shady, but am I hearing "This Must be the Place" for the second time in two days? Is it on two albums?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You'll have to excuse this old fool if his memory is shady, but am I hearing "This Must be the Place" for the second time in two days? Is it on two albums?!

John Caddell cut that one short - it was a mistake!

Well, can't be blamed really, if you get used to playing the same stuff over and over again must feel really odd having to different tracks for such a prolonged period :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnCaddell

Think you've doubled your post count in the last week slagging us off, SebBerkovich. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I've quite enjoyed this actually - lot of great stuff in there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Think you've doubled your post count in the last week slagging us off, SebBerkovich. Well done!

If Boards isn't for anonymous baseless bitching, John, then what's it for at all?

I was being a bit of a díck with that post, defiantly could have said it better. But i'm not the first one to make the point that repeating the same songs over and over is killing phantom.

I used to talk to people about which Phantom DJ's i liked based on the music they play but now that they all play the same thing, it never matters.

Phantom 500 was a really nice change though.

Enjoyable stuff so far. I'm assuming Noel and Liam will be in studio to collect their gong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think there's more of a likelihood of Queen Elizabeth releasing a sex tape.

Never heard of her.

I had a look at the Top 500 on Phantom's website. It was a fascinating and eclectic mix of albums. As well as stuff you would associate with Phantom, there were plenty of artistes and/or albums you would seldom or never hear on Phantom. Fair play to the voters!

Here are some of the things that surprised me about the countdown:
    - The TOP 500 included "Rio" by Duran Duran
    - The Top 500 included "The Lexicon of Love" by ABC
    - The Top 500 included "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" by Simon and Garfunkel
    - New Order had only one album in the countdown
    - Nirana's live album did not make it into the countdown
    - I thought there might have been more Foo Fighter albums
    - I thought there might have been more ACDC albums
    - The countdown included an "early" Beatles album - Beatles for Sale
    - Stevie Wonder had not one, but two, albums in the countdown
    - Bruce Springsteen had many of his albums in the countdown
    - The Top 500 included "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye
    - The Stone Roses first album was at Number 1.

Don't confuse surprise with dismay! Sometimes I was pleasantly surprised, sometimes not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Yeah only one New Order album was big shock for me too. And Second Coming not making it in. Depeche Mode with only 2 entries and so low down was surprising for me also. ABC and a few others I think can thank Mystery Jets for making it in :)

Anyway, well done phantom. I love lists.

edit: I misinterpreted the message above this. Second Coming did make it in. #342

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Here are some of the things that surprised me about the countdown:

- Nirana's live album did not make it into the countdown

Live albums were excluded, as were 'Greatest Hits'

Overall, it was a great few days of radio. A few clangers in there, but that's to be expected. Queens of the Stone Age at #10, really? And 'Neutral Milk Hotel' at #46? I'll freely admit I had never heard of it/him/them.

Happy enough with most of the top 20 anyway, well done Phantom!

Live albums were excluded, as were 'Greatest Hits'

Overall, it was a great few days of radio. A few clangers in there, but that's to be expected. Queens of the Stone Age at #10, really? And 'Neutral Milk Hotel' at #46? I'll freely admit I had never heard of it/him/them.

Happy enough with most of the top 20 anyway, well done Phantom!

Neutral Milk Hotel's Album is pretty good, i know a few people who think the album is a masterpiece, but i've never seen that. also hasn't aged all that well. worth a listen though and #46 is probably about right for it.

I can't believe Belle & Sebastian's Tigermilk was a no-show, i love that album

Here were some more surprises in the countdown -

Bob Dylan had 9 albums - it's the number that's surprising

Dexys Midnight Runners had two albums - both are surprising!

"Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison

"Dare" by The Human

"Forever Changes" by Love

It would be interesting to see the twenty bubbling under the Top 500 - I bet a lot of the albums we might expect to have been in the 500 are there.

Any chance that the meticulous John Caddell could put up such a list??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nothing surprising about the Dexys albums being there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nothing surprising about the Dexys albums being there.

Ditto Astral Weeks, absolutely massive album.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Had a look at the full list on the phantom website, anyone know why number 446 on the list is blanked out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Moghead wrote: »
    Had a look at the full list on the phantom website, anyone know why number 446 on the list is blanked out?

Maybe it was something by An*l C*nt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Twas John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band - clerical error, I believe

Advertisement