Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol treatments

• 27-12-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Has any ever used those petrol treatment that they sell in most garages? I think the clean out the carbs etc.

Are they any good for bikes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Are these the STP ones you're talking about? Never used them, but I DO use Octane Booster from time to time. That's the way to go! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

dipothane is better than redex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Are these the STP ones you're talking about? Never used them, but I DO use Octane Booster from time to time. That's the way to go! :D

Yeah that the one. What the story with the Octane Booster? Where do you get it? What does it do?

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yeah that the one. What the story with the Octane Booster? Where do you get it? What does it do?

Most motor factors would have it, or most motorbike shops. Silkolene is usually the best one. It just burns more efficiently so your engine doesn't misfire or knock or ping. It can give your acceleration a bit of oomph too. On the down side, using too much can burn out your valves. Use in moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

all that STP stuff contains Kerosene (home heating oil)

Its not good to put kero into a petrol engine, it thins the oil and caused carbon build up

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    all that STP stuff contains Kerosene (home heating oil)

Really?? Didn't know that. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Octane boost is just Xylene, the carrier for Marker pen ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They did a test on 5th gear with those engine 'booster' additives. Non of them worked iirc and some of them reduced engine performance. That was however on a normal car engine rather than a bike.

Really?? Didn't know that. :confused:

they even say it on the back of the bottle that it contains kerosene.

kerosene is in both their petrol and diesel additives

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

As in the 5th gear report, I would not bother buying them for a boost in power, but the odd petrol additive to help clean out your engine etc are good, I've used them in my car for years and you can feel a difference. Do a search as dipothane is well received on boards - need to get some myself actually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I use STP silver fuel system cleaner every year or so.

Octane boosters are snake oil, the octane rating of a fuel has nothing to do with efficiency or power, just resistance to detonation. Unless you've increased the compression ratio of the engine or added a turbo, the recommended octane fuel will work just fine and higher octane is a waste.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    I use STP silver fuel system cleaner every year ..............

check the back of the bottle,
    I bet it says Kerosene in bold print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

dipethane is better than redex

I'll second that...great stuff, use it in all my machines inc the heating oil...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

pa990 wrote: »
    check the back of the bottle,
    I bet it says Kerosene in bold print

Yes it does.
    The additive goes into the petrol at about 1% (150ml in 15 litres)
    It says you can use a whole bottle (treat a whole car tank of petrol) every 4000 miles. I wouldn't use it that often and would only treat one tank, so about 1/3 or 1/4 as much.
    Also the oil would be changed a lot more often in the bike than in the average car.
    Very little or any of it is going to end up in the oil. Even if I went crazy and poured the STP into the oil instead of the petrol tank it probably wouldn't do any harm :)

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement