Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Upload Speed

Options
  • 27-12-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there any way of increasing the upload speed?

For applications likes skype viber,etc .38mb that im getting it is impossible to make a call.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Its quite strange that Emobile internet on my phone is nearly twice as fast.

Download:8.44MB
    Upload: 2.58MB

Why cant eircom increase the upload speeds for home users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Because it's ancient, first generation technology in many areas still stuck on ADSL 1 that maxes out at less than 8mbit/s download.

They could probably do more about upload speeds in NGB enabled areas. However the other issue is that you've limited bandwidth on the line so, if you increase the upload you have to decrease the download. They take the view that most people use the Internet passively and download more than they upload.

With cloud services, we need much more symmetric Internet connections and that's going to suddenly become a major issue as DSL services generally can't provide those things very well without noticeable drops in your download speeds too!

Basically you're comparing latest generation HSPA mobile services with late 1990s ADSL infrastructure. It's chalk and cheese!

ADSL technology in general is a bit of a 'hack'. You're piggy backing broadband signals onto voice telephony networks that were never designed to carry high speed data. Basically you're using the frequencies that you can't hear on a phone line to squeeze in data.
    Phone lines are just copper pairs, they don't even generally have shielding so, they're very much limited in terms of what they can carry.

It's decades old infrastructure originally designed only to carry voice!

It's akin to trying to run your office network over speaker cable instead of CAT6

Only hope in this area for people on the eircom network is fibre & VDSL which is starting to be built out, but as far as I am aware isn't bring sold yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Xpro wrote: »

Hi Xpro
    Available upload speeds are as follows link here. I am afraid these cannot be increased at this time. As Solair points out, new infrastructure will allow changes to these settings.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Having slow uploads takes forever to do anything online on my internet connection with Three Ireland i get between 2-4Mb upload speed constant altough the download slows in peak hours upload is always fast and out performs Eircoms by a long shot,

DSL will never compare to the upload speeds on HSPA+.

Not ADSL anyway, but some flavours of VDSL are pretty fast.

Eircom should offer SDSL (Symmetric DSL) with the upload speed increased and the download speed decreased for customers who need that.
    Plenty of people who work from home, or who want to use cloud services would probably be happier with something that at least offered about 3 or 4mbit/s up even if the comprimise was that your download speeds were reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Be happy your download doesn't slow to 0.40 or 0.20 on download like mine is right now i was gettin 7Mbs down and almost 4Mbs up this morning now its crawling at less than 1Mb on up and down since xmas my 3G has suffered a major blow in speeds as more people join the Three network never fall victim to 3G internet i love it when it's fast it is flawless and fast uploads but at the moment it is useless i can not do anything but look at webpages videos youtube live radio are a no go right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Hi,
    Is there any way of increasing the upload speed?

For applications likes skype viber,etc .38mb that im getting it is impossible to make a call.

thanks

If you're living in any Irish city or big town you'll have a choice of what internet you can have in you're home.

4g LTE, has changed the ball game around ( 4G provides excellent upload speeds faster then the uploads with Fibre broadband in some places!)

Eircom, knows this and is now planning to upgrade small and large Irish towns to fibre, if they don't they'll risk losing customers to the mobile broadband providers who'll be offering 4G eventually in those areas.

If you live in a rural location with less then 1,000 people, you're internet options will be limited.

Eircom, does not have to do anything major here just yet. 4G is a long time off from been offered to remote rural locations. Maybe, i am wrong? If any of the Irish mobile providers (do) it will be a big issue for Eircom. There only hanging in their really because of rural DSL customers, losing customers here. Will not help their debt burden be reduced and knock on effect will be there profits will decrease annually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

DSL is dead technology people who live in remote rural locations will have to suffer on with this unfortunately.

There will be too many choices eventually in certain locations ( 80% of the Irish population will have optionS to upgrade to fibre or 4G, or something much better that may come online within the next five years?

Eircom can no longer afford to sit and wait. The highest upload on UPC package of 150meg was 10Mmeg The ulpoad speed on a 4G network could potentially reach as high as 40meg.

The 4G data limits will need to increased though to be anywhere near competitive against the UPC and Eircom (unlimited data packages)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I live about 25 miles from Dublin city so the broadband availability is quite high.
    Im not a Upc fan, but at this stage they might have changed. ( remember the old Ntl)

I believe Sky broadband is coming soon which seems to be getting good reviews in Uk, so hopefully that will be my next choice since I'm with sky already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I reckon the best bet for us rural folk is the ESB's roll out of fibre cable along their distribution poles, to the home.

When/if this happens, Eircom can close up shop .... maybe gather up the copper and sell it .....

• Advertisement

Rural scattered housing is always difficult.

ESB's fibre's more likely to be available in small towns / suburban areas / housing estates.

One-off-housing's only hope is seriously improved wireless services (I don't mean mobile). There are possibilities using fibre to mast and various technologies to deliver >100mbit/s reliably to an antenna on your roof.

VDSL, Cable and fibre to home may not be appropriate solutions in rural areas anywhere tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fibre to the transformer might be a nice solution for rural locations ..... and decent wireless from there.

Advertisement