Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Device not Recognised

Options
  • 27-12-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Lads, I got this Targa 500gb portable hard drive from Lidl a year ago and tried it today but can't seem to get it to work. It's a Samsumg HD501LJ as can be seen from the pics below. The dreaded USB Device not Recognised message comes up. I've looked for solutions online but no success. Any help/info would be great. Cheers.
    b01Ma.jpg
    cGoU3.jpg
    D29jJ.jpg
    KAogb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Have you tried the device in a different USB port and/or on a different computer ?

Is there a switch on the housing that has inadvertently been set to eSata rather than USB ?

Can you hear or feel the HD spin when you switch the unit on ? If so is it spinning smoothly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Could be a data error

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bally2009

Lazarus2.0 wrote: »
    Have you tried the device in a different USB port and/or on a different computer ?

Is there a switch on the housing that has inadvertently been set to eSata rather than USB ?

Can you hear or feel the HD spin when you switch the unit on ? If so is it spinning smoothly ?
    Thanks for the reply. Yep tried it on a diff USB port and on a different computer and still the same message comes up.
    Nope there's no switches or anything like that from what I can see.
    Yeah you can hear it spin but it's running and spinning very smoothly just like any other. Any other advice/help??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bally2009

Cork24 wrote: »
    Could be a data error
    How would I know if it is a data error? And is there any way to fix this?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

bally2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yep tried it on a diff USB port and on a different computer and still the same message comes up.
    Nope there's no switches or anything like that from what I can see.
    Yeah you can hear it spin but it's running and spinning very smoothly just like any other. Any other advice/help??

Sounds very much like the housing is faulty . No easy fix that I'm aware of and probably less time-consuming anyway to just buy a new external caddy and pop the HD into that (you should be able to pick up a caddy for less than €20) . If you want to confirm the HD is healthy before doing that either instal it temporarily in a PC or borrow a known working enclosure if those options are available . I'm sure you know already but just in case .. it's a 3.5" SATA enclosure you'd be needing .

• Advertisement
Advertisement