Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drives

Options
  • 27-12-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive tomorrow, the main things I would be using it for is to store pictures, films, back up my college files etc. I'm just trying to figure out what size to get;

http://www.soundstore.ie/category/External-Hard-Drives/2218.3.0

I'm looking at the 500GB one for €63, is that big enough/to big?

Advice please! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How much space have you used on your hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

It really depends on the size of the files.

A movie for instance can range in size, from a few hundred MBs to more than 10 GB.
    Images - taked with a good quality slr camera are generally smaller - just a few MB.

I'd get a 1tb hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Biggest one you can afford, turn your back and they're full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Not much difference in pricing between 500gb and 1tb, just make sure its usb 3.0
    have a look at the dabs site
    Samsung 1TB M3 Portable USB 3.0
    €74.64

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

mp22 wrote: »
    How much space have you used on your hard drive?

I have got 17.2mb left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In that ad. you linked to there is a couple of 'desktop' drives, these are drives that need to be installed in existing desktop or mini-tower PCs so you need to avoid them. 'Portable' means an external drive which is powered by a USB cable (i.e. the laptop or PC provides the power via the USB cable) so you can bring it places. For best performance (7200 RPM or better) and for higher capacites, you need to be looking at an external drive which has it's own power - the AC adapter is always supplied with the drive.

Don't buy on looks, capacity and performance are all that matter. Agree with earlier poster, capacity will fill up faster than you think, I'd go for a 2TB drive at this stage, certainly nothing less than 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

Argos are doing a nice seagate usb 3.0 2tb for €99.99. Check it out under portable hard drive section and you'll see that the 1tb version is €83.
    1tb €83
    2tb €99
    A no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

76CD8A91-4ADE-4314-83CD-93671B463B09.jpgI would favour THIS

Your data is the most valuable part of the equation. Look for reliability before price! This one is around €125 but whgat you need to look at is the difference between a smaller, less reliable drive and this sort of item. Is you data worth the difference?

Advertisement